shader mixer tutorial by Zigraphix

KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
edited December 1969 in New Users

I have beent rying to follow this tutorial so I could undersstand shaders and how they work. This tutorial seems to be for DS3 and I am in Studio4,5 Pro. Has anyone succeeded in following this tutorial with 4.5 or is there an updated version or similar tutorial using 4,5. I am not sure how much difference there is in the 2 versions of studio, but right from the start when I open the shader mixer after applying jpg files I don't get the same bricks in the mixer as posted in the tutorial. I f anyone has any help I would appreciate it. thanks

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

There isn't that much difference...some of the bricks have changed names and/or moved and the default direction they are displayed has changed, but that's pretty much it.

Binary/Unary Operations are one name change that springs to mind (they used to be Math1 and Math2, I believe),

Most of the techniques/content is fine...it would probably be easier to ask about specific parts than general.

I think there is 4.x list of bricks somewhere...

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/interface/panes/shader_mixer/bricks/start

Here's the main page...

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/interface/panes/shader_mixer/start

• KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
    edited December 1969

thanks for the links mjc1016. One brick inparticular is one called rotator.dcb that doesn't show up in the shader panel. I think it is part of the tutorial package but I may have installed it wrong. In my content library it shows up as a catagory called shadermixer tutorial I think but when i click on that catagory it is empty, but if I do a search for the rotator file it says that is where it should be. Any hints on where to install it?

• kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526
    edited February 2013

I find the way how to load the blick. :lol:

thank you because,, I stopped to try this tutoriall before,, (first see so many lines,, I confused^^;)
    then today,, I try last part to add rotation blick,, as you said,,
    I could not load roataiton.db which Zigraphix offer for us (thanks much ,, you help us lot,,,)
    I think,, just inslall this tutorial,, it can not set the rotation.blick to correct path.

You first serch the rotator.dcb (you said,, you have found it already) (sorry EDit file name)

about me,, (windows 7, d64bit)
    I find the file, mylibrary(my daz contents folda)>Shader mixter biicks
    you need to copy the Rotator.dcb,

then manually paste to folda.
    the documents said,
    (I believe Zigraphic forigive me to copy the section in his tutoriall,,about this problem,, ,, sorry)

On Mac OSX, Shader Mixer saved bricks are stored
    /Users/[username]/Library/Application Support/DAZ
    3D/Studio3/ShaderMixer/Menus

On Windows XP, the default location is here:
    c:\documents and settings\[username]\Application Data\DAZ 3D\Studio 3\
    ShaderMixer\Menus

And on Vista/Windows 7, the default location is here:
    c:\users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\DAZ3D\Studio3\ShaderMixer\Menus

then you can see,, we need the blick for dazstudio4,
    so I serch

c:\users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\DAZ3D\Studio4\ShaderMixer\Menus
    then paste the rotator.dcb

it work for my pc windowz 7, and if you use XP ,, you may change the directory studio3 to studio 4,
    then manually copy and paste rotator.dcb , as Zigraphic said.

c:\documents and settings\[username]\Application Data\DAZ 3D\Studio 4\
    ShaderMixer\Menus
    it work I believe,,,

after copy and paste the rotator.dcb,, I need to quit ds4, then open again..
    and open shader mixer tab,, then ,,now it can work :lol:

(I do not test it yet,, but first,, I want to tell it to you,, because I had same problem^^;)

loatator.JPG
    620 x 401 - 44K
    directorymixer.JPG
    756 x 454 - 73K
    Post edited by kitakoredaz on