Reason to be here?

2»

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,425
    edited December 1969

Dartanbeck, "buy" the pro version of Daz studio right now
    it is free but will not remain so, it is just a new serial for the one you have if it is only standard.
    Well, I 'bought' the Daz Studio 4.5 Pro for free. But that gets you a SN that identifies the fact that you bought it for free. I'd imagine that those who have actually "paid" for it will get larger benefits towards future upgrading, even though the software is the same.
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited February 2013

Dartanbeck, "buy" the pro version of Daz studio right now
    it is free but will not remain so, it is just a new serial for the one you have if it is only standard.
    Well, I 'bought' the Daz Studio 4.5 Pro for free. But that gets you a SN that identifies the fact that you bought it for free. I'd imagine that those who have actually "paid" for it will get larger benefits towards future upgrading, even though the software is the same.

As far as I know, those that actually got the free copies of Carrara Pro from magazines and such had the same upgrade path to the next iteration as those that bought it at the regular price. I see no reason why this would be different for D/S.

Post edited by evilproducer on
  • RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

IIRC from reading posts in the Studio forum the only difference is that those who paid for it get a free update on some paid plugins, such as Decimate.

• magaremotomagaremoto Posts: 1,227
    edited December 1969

AtticAnne said:
    chohole said:
    Superdog said:
    Wow! I'm just getting into DAZ and Carrara. I hope Carrara isn't dead in the water as I've just bought it. I'm new at this so maybe I'm not experienced enough to assess the quality of different content providers but I like the DAZ/Genesis content because compared to other 3D content providers it's cheaper and looks better than equivalently priced models/content.

I shouldn't worry too much about Stan, he has been leaving for the longest time, but does keep coming back and telling us about it, just in case we forget him.

I notice irony out of place and even offensive tone in your words unless you're a close friend of manstan

Nope, most of us have already heard Stan say goodbye many, many times (but he never leaves).

AFAIS Manstan is active in this forum less and less. I do hope he will stay here once again

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,110
    edited December 1969

actually Stan, one could say that about life in general, everything is buggy, the updates do not work (hip and knee replacements have limited lifespans) then you get dementia and you die.
    The ones who whine the most and claim to be on deaths door outlive everyone!
    I have an Aunty who turned 90 last year who has been sick, miserable and dying for 50 years!
    my cousin died at 47 of cancer after living life to the fullest and trying to fit as many overseas trips as she could in between chemo and radiotherapy sessions.
    same with software
    you can dwell on the bugs or just get on with finding workarounds and being creative.
    I am like Dartanbeck, constantly amazed with what I find I can do in Carrara
    (though not as full of beans)
    my glass is half full, not half empty
    and Genesis looks exciting, when it works it is very very cool, hopefully they will improve on this in the beta over time too
    I still would like to option to buy a permenant serial now though as like I said, esp FBX import using iClone 3dxchange pipeline, it wirks well unlike the 8.1 production build which does not.
    and zero-ing posing on rigged figures works with non Daz stuff too including one's own rigging if you create an animation group.
    all great features.

• SockrateaseSockratease Posts: 813
    edited December 1969

Us chemists know better.

The glass is completely full. Half with some mysterious, unidentified, liquid - and half with atmospheric gasses!

• GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

The glass is completely full. Half with some mysterious, unidentified, liquid - and half with atmospheric gasses!

Well said Sock! But what about the times when the glass contains a vacuum (and I don't mean what Dartanbeck is using to clean out his laptops with either...)? ;)

• SockrateaseSockratease Posts: 813
    edited February 2013

Garstor said:

Well said Sock! But what about the times when the glass contains a vacuum (and I don't mean what Dartanbeck is using to clean out his laptops with either...)? ;)

According to Modern Physics, The Vacuum contains enormous energy and spontaneously creates ghostly particles that pop in and out of existence.

The Vacuum is FAR from "Empty" - you just have to know how to look...

Post edited by Sockratease on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,110
    edited December 1969

my vacuum is full
    of cat fur and dead millipedes

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

HI Dartanbeck :)

Well, I ‘bought’ the Daz Studio 4.5 Pro for free. But that gets you a SN that identifies the fact that you bought it for free. I’d imagine that those who have actually “paid” for it will get larger benefits towards future upgrading, even though the software is the same.

No,. there's no difference. you own DS Pro, and should be entitled to the same upgrade at the same price.

When it comes to the next update / upgrade (even if that's a paid for upgrade) you should be charged the same as someone who purchased DS Pro at full price before the software became available for Free.

:)

edited December 1969

Us chemists know better.

Speaking of gasses.... May be away from my computer for a few minutes....

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited February 2013

And there is yet another reason for me not to be here. Isn't that right chohole.

Post edited by ManStan on
    edited December 1969

ManStan said:
    And there is yet another reason for me not to be here. Isn't that right chohole.

Hmmmmm...... Cryptic...

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,425
    edited December 1969

3DAGE said:
    HI Dartanbeck :)

Well, I ‘bought’ the Daz Studio 4.5 Pro for free. But that gets you a SN that identifies the fact that you bought it for free. I’d imagine that those who have actually “paid” for it will get larger benefits towards future upgrading, even though the software is the same.

No,. there's no difference. you own DS Pro, and should be entitled to the same upgrade at the same price.

When it comes to the next update / upgrade (even if that's a paid for upgrade) you should be charged the same as someone who purchased DS Pro at full price before the software became available for Free.

:)

Well... It wouldn't bother me in the slightest if those who've paid receive some sort of extra benefit.
    All I know is that Daz3d can easily tell whether you've paid or not by the SN.
    Point is, DS 4.5 Pro is an excellent piece of software, not to be belittled. Nor should the talents of its development team. It is one, Powerful and sweet piece of softy, whether you like or dislike to use it. :)
    And if (which I totally doubt - and hope not) Daz3d were to drop Carrara, without anyone else taking it over... leaving it to simply age...
    it is Daz Studio that we could possibly use to keep it strong in our work flow. That or Poser... or both.

edited December 1969

If DAZ stopped updating Carrara and put it out to pasture, I would keep using it as long as it works. That being said, if at some point it quit working for me, there's no way I'd step backwards and use Poser or D/S. I'd find another alternative, probably from another company.

• NoneNone Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

sounds similar to what I said elsewhere ;)

• JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,744
    edited December 1969

Us chemists know better.

And the engineer says...

It's a good thing that I have the other half of my water in this backup redundant glass.

edited February 2013

JonnyRay said:

Us chemists know better.

And the engineer says...

It's a good thing that I have the other half of my water in this backup redundant glass.

....which has no opening on the top or bottom to efficiently and safely prevent the user from spilling the remaining liquid. ;-)

Post edited by evilproducer on