Weight Mapping and Geo grafting

CriosCrios Posts: 2,739

I want know if a with DAZ Weight Mapped character (not genensis) is possible use the geo grafting.

In other words, if I convert a character in DAZ Weight Map, you can apply this character as the Geo Grafting with Genesis?

For example, I know that there is a version of Antonia Standard Weight Map, in this case I can use the Geo Grafting on her?

Comments

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,886
    edited December 1969

As long as it's a TriAx rigged figure then yes you can use geo-grafting with it, but you wont be able to use any of the stuff for Genesis on the other figure as they will have a different mesh.

• CriosCrios Posts: 2,739
    edited February 2013

No no no, i've understand that can't use Genesis made item; for example, seeing your avatar, we can TriAx Krystal 1.3 and make a 4 arms Krystal for example. But using Krystal mesh.

Post edited by Crios on
  • BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,886
    edited December 1969

Simple answer is Yes, you can take any Parametric figure (Poser rigging) and convert it to TriAx, you can then start making geo-grafted parts for it.

However just like Genesis, you can't legally distribute your converted figure, or the geo-grafted parts, as the original mesh doesn't belong to you, I believe that only Antonia Polygon is free from this thanks to the license that ODF released her under.

TBH it's just not worth the hassle, as converting the figure to TriAx is just the beginning of a never ending nightmare, as what you get is WM that roughly matches the Parametric rigging, so it bends and crumples just the same, so you need to completely redo the WM, probably alter or redo the skeleton and possibly alter the face grouping. Then your faced with cleaning up the morphs, and the fact that INJ/REM's don't work, then there's the clothing and hair, without templates you'll have a lot of work painting weights on them so they work right.

I did all that with Aiko3, so I know how big a nightmare it really is, and I wont be doing it to any other figures any time soon.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

MakeHuman, ProjectHuman (Male, Female), Britta, Behemoth (first one and maybe the 2010 one) meshes would probably be usable, too.

And while not up to 'modern' standards for a human character, they'd probably be a great starting point for fantasy/alien beings.

• Marmalade BoyMarmalade Boy Posts: 103
    edited February 2013

Hey LC,

I agree with Bejaymac; I have been trying unsuccessfully to do my own ego-grafting and it's been a difficult process (see my post http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/12037/ ). I love the idea of creating multi armed characters but the hardest part is the weight mapping. Weight mapping in Daz Studio is cumbersome; I usually use Maya but decided to seriously give Daz studio a try beginning last year. These are the issue I have found particle annoying. If anyone reading knows of a workaround or how to accomplish the below, please advise.

1. You cannot delete more than one bone at a time unless you use the delete unused bones option. EX: if I want to delete only the bones from the left leg, you would have to delete one bone in that leg at a time.
    2. If you rig the extra arms in the exact position of the original arms, move it down into the position where they will be attached to the body, you have to rename all the nodes of the bones so they will not be affected when you fit the figure to the genesis figure. You will have to rename all these nodes one at a time. It’s about 3 clicks to get to this menu and would have to be repeated for each bone. I don’t think there is any way to dock the rename node menu so all you’d have to do is click on the bone and then rename.
    3. The “clear generated morphs” and “adjust rigging to ship” doesn’t always seem to work.
    4. I can’t seem to find a way to set a new start position for bones/rig. If I rig the extra arms using transfer utility, then move it into the proper position, I cannot set that new position as zero translations, zero Rotation. I thought the memorize rigging would help with that but it doesn’t.

I am still tinkering with it as I do not like the four arm character that is currently available in the store. In my head, this should be a simple process but it in reality, it’s not. Perhaps we should collaborate, two heads are better than one. Heck, we should get an entire group going. I am nowhere near as knowledgeable with Daz as some of the guys and gals here but I’m sure they would lend their expertise.

Post edited by Marmalade Boy on