How to upload @ SL question

RPGMaker247RPGMaker247 Posts: 146
edited February 2013 in The Commons

I've been scratching my head trying to make sense of the uploading procedure of an avatar to Second Life.
What is the process involved? (Besides paying a special fee).

Post edited by RPGMaker247 on

Comments

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

I'm pretty sure uploading a Daz figure as a second life avatar is a big no-no. The very nature of second life means you could obtain the mesh data quite easily, and distributing meshes is against the EULA without a game developer license, which I'm fairly sure doesn't cover Second Life due to the nature of it.

Uploading still images is perfectly fine, but avoid using full models unless specifically given the okay by an official Daz representative.

• RPGMaker247RPGMaker247 Posts: 146
    edited December 1969

I'm pretty sure uploading a Daz figure as a second life avatar is a big no-no. The very nature of second life means you could obtain the mesh data quite easily, and distributing meshes is against the EULA without a game developer license, which I'm fairly sure doesn't cover Second Life due to the nature of it.

Uploading still images is perfectly fine, but avoid using full models unless specifically given the okay by an official Daz representative.

Yeah I just went through the uploading section/exam @ SL and even with permission from DAZ the character would be deleted by their admins. They're extremely strict on that.

• adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited December 1969

Correct. Even the Game License at DAZ won't do the trick. It only applies for newly created games by the owner of the license.

edited December 1969

adamr001 said:
    Correct. Even the Game License at DAZ won't do the trick. It only applies for newly created games by the owner of the license.

But all I wanted was to upload a character as my avatar (personal use only-NFS). There's no mention of that anywhere in their rules on uploading. I'm confused by the whole thing.

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

Imposer12 said:
    adamr001 said:

But all I wanted was to upload a character as my avatar (personal use only-NFS). There's no mention of that anywhere in their rules on uploading. I'm confused by the whole thing.The point you're missing is that anyone who comes into proximity with your character has the mesh downloaded to their system. There has already been a history of people deriving the meshes used by other players and them selling it off as their own. There are even plugins for some of the browsers designed to do exactly that! However well-intentioned you might be, others might still seek to profit off you.

• adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited December 1969

Imposer12 said:
    But all I wanted was to upload a character as my avatar (personal use only-NFS). There's no mention of that anywhere in their rules on uploading. I'm confused by the whole thing.
    Yes, as Herald of Fire states, it's still not allowed because it constitutes distributing a derivative of the mesh.
    edited December 1969

Imposer12 said:
    adamr001 said:

The point you're missing is that anyone who comes into proximity with your character has the mesh downloaded to their system. There has already been a history of people deriving the meshes used by other players and them selling it off as their own. There are even plugins for some of the browsers designed to do exactly that! However well-intentioned you might be, others might still seek to profit off you.

Point taken. I was unaware others could do that. I'll cancel my SL account asap. Besides, it doesn't hold a candle to the Sims and is expensive.