drag problem

edited December 1969 in New Users

Hi,

In one of my subset, I have in the scene 72 trees which I downloaded from the shop addon DesignferaUrbanTrees.
Since I put these trees in the scene dragging the scene into different positions to get better views of my work became a nightmare.

I checked immediatly the size of the object in the library and found out that it is 16168ko!!! A test removing the trees of course showed that they were the criminals! The whole trees set amount to 1.164 Go !!!
I thought then that if I saved a tree into a subset and then put 72 copies of the subset tree into the scene it would solve the problem but obviously it did not and the problem remains.

Is there any other way that could help me reduce the size of those damn trees. I tried to find on the web a similar tree less memory consuming but did not find any but one which was so horrid that I did not download it. So I'm stuck here with my problem.

Any suggestions are welcomed but for eliminating the trees as this is a historical place and I can't change the original aspect it had.

Comments

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

When working with very intensive scenes like that you can use the 'bounding box' draw method which will speed up movement considerably. The downside to this is that it might be slightly harder to work out where everything is going. It's a tough trade-off, and the only other way around it is to either use lower poly trees in your work, or to reduce their numbers.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited February 2013

You do not say what program you are using to set up this scene, but in Bryce even I would think twice about trying to get 72 trees into a scene without using instancing.and Bryce native trees, which can be handled easier by the program than imported trees.

My normal way of doing densely tree-ed scenes is to use bill board trees for the background, and only have the high poly trees at the front of the scene , where the resolution of the trees is more noticable.

Also the specs of your computer would help us to see the best way for you to handle this.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • edited February 2013

chohole said:
    You do not say what program you are using to set up this scene, but in Bryce even I would think twice about trying to get 72 trees into a scene without using instancing.and Bryce native trees, which can be handled easier by the program than imported trees.

My normal way of doing densely tree-ed scenes is to use bill board trees for the background, and only have the high poly trees at the front of the scene , where the resolution of the trees is more noticable.

Also the specs of your computer would help us to see the best way for you to handle this.

let me ckeck it's not Bryce for sure. Here it is, I downloaded from Renderosity and here is the info given:

Product Requirements: Poser 6 and up for the poser files, any 3D software that reads .obj format .

So I assumed there would be no problem whatsoever. Actually trees are perfectly visible etc, it's only their memory weight which poses a problem.

As for my system's configuration here it is:

Processor
    Intel(R)
    Processor Cores
    i5 CPU 760 (4 cores)
    Processor Speed
    2.80GHz

RAM
    8,00 Go

Video Board Manufacturer
    ASUS
    Video Board Model
    AMD Radeon HD7950-DC2T-3GD5-V2
    Video Memory
    3GB 900MHz overclocked

Mother Board
    Asus P7P55D

Hard Drives
    4 Drives : 2 internal 2external 3000Go in total

Monitor
    2 Monitors main Monitor ILLYAMA Pro Lite 27 inch resolution 1920x1080 and LG Flatron resolution 1360x768

Operating System
    Windows 7 64bits Professionnal

Joystick & Mouse
    Logitech Extreme 3D Pro
    Logitek G700 wireless

Other
    Pinnacle Video capture card
    ASUS Laptop connected via a Local Network with the Desktop

Post edited by jvdesuit1_582de7c548 on
    edited December 1969

I assume you are using DS, or are you in fact using Poser, This is what I meant by the program you are using. Not the product. I think I know where most good tree models are, have quite a few of them myself.

My reference to Bryce was only because Bryce does have it's own native trees, which are generated by Bryce, and thus render quicker and easier than imported trees. Even so I would quail from using 72 of them in a scene without using instancing.

Your system specs should be good for most scenes, unless you do make them to heavy.

DS does have instancing. AFAIK Poser doesn't.

As I said if some of your trees are not at the immediate forefront of the image you could lower the setup size by using billboard trees.

There are some XFrog billboard tree packs in the store here http://www.daz3d.com/xfrog-inc

And if you go to the Xfrog site they usually have some free ones available if you are willing to search for them

• edited December 1969

chohole said:
    I assume you are using DS, or are you in fact using Poser, This is what I meant by the program you are using. Not the product. I think I know where most good tree models are, have quite a few of them myself.

My reference to Bryce was only because Bryce does have it's own native trees, which are generated by Bryce, and thus render quicker and easier than imported trees. Even so I would quail from using 72 of them in a scene without using instancing.

Your system specs should be good for most scenes, unless you do make them to heavy.

DS does have instancing. AFAIK Poser doesn't.

As I said if some of your trees are not at the immediate forefront of the image you could lower the setup size by using billboard trees.

There are some XFrog billboard tree packs in the store here http://www.daz3d.com/xfrog-inc

And if you go to the Xfrog site they usually have some free ones available if you are willing to search for them

No I use DS .I don't have Poser.

My problem was that I had to put Plane trees,unfortunately most of the time the guys even in DAZ do not precise what trees they are. The one I chose after careful examination must be a Plane. I spent nearly 2 days searching in different sites and finally bought these ones.

"AFAIK" what do you mean by this word? Don't forget my friend I'm not English and do not know all the shortcuts you may use when writing or speaking:-) although I'm not tto bad with the language.

The billboard ones unless I'm wrong, give a 2D view like those old theater sets painted on canvas in false perspective, if you see what I mean, so I dared not to choose those which were most of them not free.

edited December 1969

Sorry. AFAIK is As Far As I Know

And yes billboard trees are images of trees, with an alpha or trans map, So yes they are like theatre scenery rather than real geometry.

THey are a very ggod cheat for things further back in the image, as long as they are used carefully.

It is the sheer volume of geometry and the number of polygons that is overwhelming your system.

What you need now is someone who is familiar with the Instancing used in DS. I will see if I can find someone for you.

edited December 1969

OK, I got a reply to my query.

Well, instancing copies an item - it wouldn't replace loading unique items. But all he would have to do is load a tree, then with it selected go to Create>New Instance

This is what instancing does http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geometry_instancing

• edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Sorry. AFAIK is As Far As I Know

And yes billboard trees are images of trees, with an alpha or trans map, So yes they are like theatre scenery rather than real geometry.

THey are a very ggod cheat for things further back in the image, as long as they are used carefully.

It is the sheer volume of geometry and the number of polygons that is overwhelming your system.

What you need now is someone who is familiar with the Instancing used in DS. I will see if I can find someone for you.

So I was right not to buy them as in this case my camera will go around them and I think I'll make a special effect to have them burn with the eruption and only leave the traces of their roots like it is today; that's how archaeologists have known they were planes 2000 years later! Today in the restauration process of the site, they are replanting the trees at their original place.

I'm out for the afternoon Pete so I'll check your eventual news this evening; Thanks for your help.

edited February 2013

No Szark is Pete. I am Pam.

Pete is cleverer than me. I only Use Bryce (and poser sometimes to set things up)

Post edited by Chohole on
  • edited December 1969

chohole said:
    No Szark is Pete. I am Pam.

Pete is cleverer than me. I only Use Bryce (and poser sometimes to set things up)

You're too modest my friend! I had a good laugh yesterday evening reading the different posts about Windows and Apple about
    problems with Bryce and Windows 8!!!!