object shows as a blob

TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

What do I check in pref. to export as object created in Carrara...I made this coat rack no textures and exported it as an object ...When I put it into Bryce it was a mass of a blob ....What am I not doing right?? Thanks in advance ....Trish

Comments

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited February 2013

HI bullit35744 :)

How did you make the mode ?l,.
    EG: in the vertex modeller,.

To export a model a OBJ should be as simple as choosing FILE / Export or,.. FILE / Save As ..then choose "Wavefront OBJ" from the drop-down file format list at the bottom.

Also, what version of Carrara are you using ?

Post edited by 3DAGE on
  • TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited February 2013

Hello 3Dage, yes in the vertex.....I have 7.2 version was looking for an upgrade to 8 but I guess they don't sell one...I haven't used Carrara in about 2 years computer died.... so I am starting over with stuff. I went to export and you know how you can check all that stuff in the pref. for xport I think I messed up in that part somehow.......I should have saved it first as a car file but dummy me didn't

Post edited by Trish on
    edited December 1969

Ah :)

That's a harder question to help you with, :)
    Always save an original version...

If you have the OBJ, you could try loading that back into Carrara, and see what you get.

The reason you get a BLOB could be an import issue with Bryce, or a Modelling issue , such as smoothing / creased edges,.
    or an option you've set in the Export from Carrara.

You shouldn't need to set anything differently in the OBJ export panel. but I know how having a bunch of options can make it more likely to click a few things to see what happens :)

There's a drop down option at the top, where you can select "Default" .. that should be good to go.

The "Export objects with morphs and skinning" only applies to objects with Bones, and "Does not export any morph targets"
    It exports any "posed" model , in the current pose.

The Texture export options area will export the image maps you're using,.
    or,. If you're using procedural shaders like Wood, or Fractal Noise,. there's an option to convert those into an image and export that.

Hope it helps :)

OBJ_options.jpg
    633 x 676 - 69K
  • TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited December 1969

You are right about too many buttons....I reset like your screen shot and I am good to go now thank You.....Duh do I feel dumb..I appreciate the help. Have you seen an upgrade for Carrara 8 for sale all I can find listed is buying the whole program??? ....Thanks Trish

edited December 1969

Hi Trish :)

There's an offer on C8 and C8 pro right now, but I thik if you contact Sales at daz3d, they'l soft out an upgrade from C7 to C8 or C8 pro

The old store had the ability to list upgrades from previous versions,.. but as far as I know,. that's still not working with the new site, so, contacting sales directly is the only way I know.

Hope it helps :)