pw catch shadow application issue

bev_headbev_head Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in New Users

hi
a newbie to daz - i have read the posts on pw catch and followed the suggestions - i created a character to test it -
1. created two primitive planes - 1; vertical behind the character and 1 horizontal beneath the character
2. i set up a basic spot light at 45 degrees pointing at the character's chest -
3. i used the plane selection tool and selected both planes and applied the basic pw catch preset then selected the preset - catch shadow only
i know something has happened because if i change the pw catch preset - the colour of the plane changes

4. i made sure the light was set to cast shadow - but only gives the option of shadow map!
made sure cast shadow is on - see the image below - still no shadows - what am i missing here?

pwcatch_problem.jpg
1136 x 551 - 49K

Comments

• bev_headbev_head Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

i have also checked and the actor is set to cast shadow - still no luck - is it only visible after render? or only works with certain lights?
    totally stuck on this one -

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,954
    edited December 1969

You do need to render to see the effect. Use the Surface selection tool and select the planes with that, then in the Surfaces pane loot at the top-left to see which shader is applied.

edited December 1969

i have made sure that the surfaces were selected with the surface tool and selected shadow catch in the surface tab info - rendered still problems? - then i put a green plane behind the back as you can see in the picture - still an issue?

really stumped on this one -

test_shadow_cath.duf_.png
    91 x 91 - 3K
    test_with_settings.jpg
    1128 x 557 - 133K
    edited December 1969

you can see the settings in surface editor are correct? - still nothing after rendering -

edited December 1969

here is a rendered file - i converted to jpeg so it uploads onto this forum - but was correctly saved as a tiff?

test_shadow_cath.jpg
    91 x 91 - 2K
  • suewill279suewill279 Posts: 1
    edited December 1969

You do need to render to see the effect

edited December 1969

thanks for the fast reply - i have rendered twice as a png and tiff - and still no effect - the thumbnail image above is a rendered file - still no shadows? = i even put a green plane behind it - still nothing - perhaps something in the render settings? - i am using a spotlight as a test light -

edited December 1969

still nothing - must be something really simple i am missing - one - basic test actor - default - 2- two planes one on floor and one behind - 3 - placed a light in front of actor to cast a shadow - 4 - selected planes with surface tool - 5 - applied the overall pwcatch file - i know something happened because if i move through the presets the planes change colours - 6 - i have selected a basic catch shadow preset - 7 - made sure the actor is casting a shadow - selected - 8 - made sure the correct shadow cast is selected - see the images i have uploaded - 9 - rendered out as a still as jpeg - png and a tiff - still nothing

question - do i have to render out looking through a camera or light view? - this i haven't done? - maybe that is my problem?

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Umm. Yes you MUST use a Camera View.

edited December 1969

tried again - still no good - this time rendered through camera view and double checked settings - i have noticed other people have had issues with this plugin - ok so here is the directory the pw catch is in my library under shaders - this is very getting frustrating - help please anyone??

before_render_through_camera.jpg
    976 x 520 - 68K
    edited December 1969

yes the burning the candle at both ends - for sure - ok - so anyone know where i can get a tutorial on making shadows without this plugin that seems to be not working!!! help

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

IF I was not at 100% clean DS4.5 right now I could show you but I'm waiting on DIM (Daz Install Manager) to redo all my content. You only need the CATCH Shadows shader on your planes. I use it in Animation from time to time.

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited February 2013

Make sure you're rendering using the 3Delight renderer, not an OpenGL render (quality setting 4). The image shown was rather small and looked identical to the viewport image, which leads me to suspect you're using lower quality settings for speed.

All shadow mapping and raytracing is done using the 3Delight render engine. It takes a bit longer, but is the only way to get shaders to act as they're supposed to. If you're still having problems a larger render image might help to see where things are going wrong. It would also help to post your render settings.

If you're still stuck you can look at Carnites fantastic tutorial to create your own shadow catcher.

Capture.PNG
    363 x 268 - 132K
    Post edited by Herald of Fire on
  • kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526
    edited December 1969

the tutorial by Carnite. now herald said is good. I recommend too.

it may help lot how to use shadow cathcer with actuall case,,,
    http://www.carnite.com/index.php/Shader-Mixer-Shadow-Catcher/shader-mixer-shadow-catcher.html
    once make and saved it as shader,, you can use the shader as shadow catcher.
    it work well for me,, in the pic I used Carnite tutoriall shader for back and ground plane,
    I used only one distanl light. then lender 3Delight.

but pw catch seems more easy to adjust shadow,,,, and many effect,, reflection or backdrop
    I think,, may need not two plane behind the figure.

set back ground or backdrop,, (on which you can see clear shadow black color)
    create ground plane, side plane to catch shadow.

apply pw catch.dsb shader,,,,, then use catchshadow.dsb. to set properties.
    with windows 7, ds 4.5 64bit ver,, it work without problem for me ^^;

shadwcatch3.jpg
    600 x 450 - 235K
  • kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526
    edited December 1969

I feel,, if you need to update pwcatch from you account?

I get pw catch by bundle last year,, then the location in content library, seems different.
    the set install for ds1.ds2,ds3,ds4,,, I need not other sets only need for ds 4,
    but in your pic, there is only one pw catch,, and no other name,, for ds4 etc,,

so it seems differnt from me,,

pwcatchcontent.JPG
    606 x 631 - 90K
    edited December 1969

thanks everyone - i really appreciate your input - its fantastic that there is a positive community of artists using Daz3d - ok -
    1. the rendering has been set to 3Delight and high resolution setting from the beginning - the reason for the blur is that i saved the images as TIFF files then for uploading onto this site - i converted them to smaller jpegs - still no luck with shadow
    2. - i have DAZ4.5 and downloaded the pwcatch shader plugin only about a week ago - i have all versions with that download - 1 - 4 - so perhaps i should just use version 4?
    3. - i am using a mac - however there is nothing on the website to say it was an issue and like all products comes with both pc and mac
    4. - i am posting something i captured when rendering - might be helpful

3Delight message #45 (Severity1): S2072: the shader'/Applications/Daz 3D/Daz studio64-bit/shaders/pwCatch.sdl' uses a different interface version.Automatic conversion was successful. It should be recompiled for better performance"

so this might be the problem - no the steps to apply the plugin - but something with the interface?

i am guessing.... this is the issue - any work arounds in the settings?

rendering_info_i_captured.jpg
    361 x 329 - 34K
    edited December 1969

ok - got it working - i needed to render with camera view - i thought that would happen when i had it in camera view - but had to reselect when in rendering mode - also - all three versions of the plugin are there but the last version seems to work - whereas the first two are problematic see image of all of them - final question - i will watch the tutorials on line on how to make shadows without this plugin - so i understand the concept a little better - also - this plugin doesn't appear to provide a way of finding out which preset is applied when one changes and not all of them work - i am preferring just to play around this basic images rather than spending hours attempting to apply it with my very little knowledge about 3d on a project image - thanks everyone - maybe someone could explain how to the shadow to match on across planes?

eg - the ground and the wall - i guess that is where learning to do it the long way is better - this plugin has been like the short cut you take driving and turns out to be full of one way streets and no entries...

also - i noticed the presets contain both shaders and non descripts? which are for....