Creating a shiny skinsuit

SertorialSertorial Posts: 962

I am trying to create a shiny spandex effect on a Genesis figure using the Lana Wetsuit. I have the specular colour on white and specular strength at 100%. It looks great in the viewport, but isn't very shiny in the render.

There doesn't seem to be a "lighting model" setting in this garment? Normally you get to choose between plastic, skin, glossy plastic, metal etc

Any hints?

Post edited by Sertorial on

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,468
    edited December 1969

You will get a lighting model option only with the DAZ Default Shader - look at the top of the Surfaces pane with the material selected to see which shader is in use. Check the Glossiness setting, if there is one, if it's low you may be spreading the highlight out too much to show.

• SertorialSertorial Posts: 962
    edited February 2013

You will get a lighting model option only with the DAZ Default Shader - look at the top of the Surfaces pane with the material selected to see which shader is in use. Check the Glossiness setting, if there is one, if it's low you may be spreading the highlight out too much to show.

Thanks. It's a shader called "OmHumanSurface" - can I change that setting then?

I set glossiness to 100% and it's a little better, I guess...

But I wish I could get it to look like the viewport view...

Post edited by Sertorial on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

What lights are you using?

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    What lights are you using?

just a couple of distant lights at different angles. (But I don't know anything about lighting...)

• Tempest!Tempest! Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Sertorial said:

Glossiness (on Human Surface Shader or HSS) affects the size of the highlight, the bigger the value the smaller the highlight. Specular Sharpness affects the sharpness of the edges of the highlight: the higher the value the sharper the edges (think going from DS plastic shader to Glossy plastic).

Do you have a texture map applied to either specular color or strength? That will tone down the specular strength, but doesn't show up in the preview - so while the preview may look very glossy, the rendered surface might not.

edited December 1969

Tempest! said:
    Sertorial said:

Glossiness (on Human Surface Shader or HSS) affects the size of the highlight, the bigger the value the smaller the highlight. Specular Sharpness affects the sharpness of the edges of the highlight: the higher the value the sharper the edges (think going from DS plastic shader to Glossy plastic).

Do you have a texture map applied to either specular color or strength? That will tone down the specular strength, but doesn't show up in the preview - so while the preview may look very glossy, the rendered surface might not.

No there's no texture map applied to anything. (btw way, which one wins out of texture map and dialled colour when you have both? Or does one just overlay the other..)

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

If you are using the Lana wetsuit preset, it loads with Velvet and Fresnel active...for the effect you are looking for, turn those off. Also turning on Specular2 will really help, so will making one of the lights a shadow casting light.

Look at the settings on the right...I picked the hot pink and lavender colors so they would 'pop'...the unrendered section looks almost radioactive, but the left half, rendered looks about 'right' for what you were describing you were looking for.

015.png
    1280 x 1024 - 229K