Using the Uber Environment lighting preset

SertorialSertorial Posts: 962

I have never really used lighting presets before, I just tend to add distant lights, spots etc.

So I tried using Uber environment, but I must be doing something wrong as it gives really weird results like this...

Does anyone know if there's a video tutorial on lighting and stuff?

Untitled-1.jpg
1275 x 725 - 67K

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

There is an icon called Help.dsa in Uberenvironment2, which takes you here

http://www.omnifreaker.com/index.php?title=UberEnvironment2

If that doesn't help, please post the steps you are using to apply the presets.

• SertorialSertorial Posts: 962
    edited December 1969

There is an icon called Help.dsa in Uberenvironment2, which takes you here

http://www.omnifreaker.com/index.php?title=UberEnvironment2

If that doesn't help, please post the steps you are using to apply the presets.

thanks. Not sure it does. Here's the steps I took to create the two images i just posted..

Untitled-1.jpg
    548 x 865 - 123K
    edited December 1969

Loading the Base first is fine. When you load the GI version, hold down the Ctrl key, and choose 'Add' from the dialogue box. GI will add massively to render times.

edited December 1969

Loading the Base first is fine. When you load the GI version, hold down the Ctrl key, and choose 'Add' from the dialogue box. GI will add massively to render times.

So will the Base not work on its own? I have to add other lights? Isn't each one of those icons a lighting preset?

(sorry, I am very new to all this...)

edited December 1969

No, you don;t need the base for GI, it will allow you to load it, but you will need another light in the Scene as well, the help file tells you all of that, under GI at the bottom.

Most of the other presets will generate an error if they need the Base light first. Shader lights are a massive subject, and there is a bit of learning required in order to use them properly. I will leave it to someone else to explain it more fully.

edited December 1969

No, you don;t need the base for GI, it will allow you to load it, but you will need another light in the Scene as well, the help file tells you all of that, under GI at the bottom.

Most of the other presets will generate an error if they need the Base light first. Shader lights are a massive subject, and there is a bit of learning required in order to use them properly. I will leave it to someone else to explain it more fully.

But if you look at my two test renders at the top of this thread, one looks all mottled and the other is a silhouette! How is that happening?

In the first picture, I just clicked "!UberEnvironment2Base" - why would it produce such a weird effect?

And what a "shader lights"?

edited February 2013

Shader lights are not real lights, they are shaders that affect the surface. Shaders can be used for textures, Lights and Cameras.

The mottleing can be fixed by going to the Parameters pane, and turning up the Occlusion Samples, this is rendered with the OS set to 256, and the Shading Rate set to 10.0. Base light only. Using the other option with shados etc, can take a very long time.

Render times are increased drmatically using these shader lights, but they produce really good renders.

as1.jpg
    367 x 766 - 40K
    Post edited by JimmyC_2009 on
    edited December 1969

Shader lights are not real lights, they are shaders that affect the surface. Shaders can be used for textures, Lights and Cameras.

The mottleing can be fixed by going to the Parameters pane, and turning up the Occlusion Samples, this is rendered with the OS set to 256, and the Shading Rate set to 10.0. Base light only. Using the other option with shados etc, can take a very long time.

Render times are increased drmatically using these shader lights, but they produce really good renders.

Ok, I first clicked on the Base, then CTRL clicked on the one next to it, but it gives me a dialog box

Untitled-1.jpg
    339 x 356 - 41K
    edited December 1969

See my previous post. Change Replace All with Add.

edited December 1969

Here is a link on Uberenvironment2 by AdamR which chould help a lot:

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/5320/

edited December 1969

Here is a link on Uberenvironment2 by AdamR which chould help a lot:

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/5320/

ok, thanks. I'll stop bugging you now..

edited December 1969

Not a problem, I just wish I knew more about UE2 to help you

If you need help like this in the future, you would be better posting in the New Users Help Forum. There are lots of people there with a great deal of knowledge who can take the time to help you more.

You may not consider yourself new to all of this, but you can still post there if you wish, and you would be very welcome.

• adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited December 1969

This thread on Learning UE2 might help you. http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/5320/

edited December 1969

That is the link I posted, thanks Adam.

I must have a good read at it myself soon.