DAZ Lighting in Carrara?

SuperdogSuperdog Posts: 765
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Is it possible to use lighting kits for DAZ Studio environments in Cararra? I have Subway Station and I'm thinking of buying this:

http://www.daz3d.com/subway-station-illuminations-construction-kit

Also, what are gels for Carrara?

http://www.daz3d.com/gel-master-pack-for-carrara

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

No... Lights and shaders are unique to each render engine. Even if you can import the DAZ scene (via DUF or whatever) you would probably need to do a lot of tweaking.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Since Holly answered the first question, I'll give the second question a shot:

In the real world, a gel is something you'd put over a light, usually a spot light, to add an effect or color. Sometimes they're translucent and sometimes they have an opaque pattern. Carrara has the ability to use a gel as well. It's under the light's Effects tab. There are some built-in presets or you can choose Map and add a picture or movie to that slot. If you use the light cone there's an option to use the gel to drive the appearance of the light cone.

The darker the color the more opaque the effect will be, with black being completely opaque.

I don't have the product you linked to, but it appears as if they may be light presets with the gels already applied.

I used a gel in this image to make it look like I had light shining through a tree's canopy. The effect is more visible on the dinosaur and the structure closer to the dinosaur. It also drives the shadows in the light cone.

Jungle-Encounter.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 2M
  • SuperdogSuperdog Posts: 765
    edited December 1969

Thank you both. That's a lot clearer. I can see what you mean about how to use gels in that great image. That's the kind of effect I hope to achieve eventually.