Parenting?

oldblockoldblock Posts: 99
edited December 1969 in New Users

I have downloaded a flower for inclusion in my masterpiece but it is broken up into all its components, leaves petals etc. How do I get them all together for easy editing?
I think parenting has something to do with it but I can't find any info on the topic.

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,583
    edited December 1969

Is there a readme for the item explaining how to assemble it, or a preload with everything put together?

• oldblockoldblock Posts: 99
    edited December 1969

I'm not sure what you mean, maybe I haven't explained my problem properly. The attached screen shot shows what I have. Since starting this thread I have discovered that I can drag the parts up to the top of the list and they become children (I think) but I don't know whether this is the answer.
    Can the scene be saved in such a way that it is just one object and then be inserted into another scene?

Screen_shot.jpg
    1684 x 1006 - 109K
  • BlackFeather1973BlackFeather1973 Posts: 739
    edited December 1969

You can save parts of a scene as a 'scene subset', and later load this subset into other scenes.
    File -> Save as -> Scene Subset. You get a dialog where you can choose what to include and what not.

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited February 2013

In the past, we would have parented all of the items to a Null, and when we moved the Null, all of the parts moved as a whole.

In DS4.5, there is an option in the Create menu called 'New Group'. Select all of the items that you want to be in the group, do this by selecting the top one, then hold down Shift, and select the bottom one, all will then be selected. Go to the Create menu with these items still selected, and select New Group, name the group whatever you want, click Accept, and all selected parts will now be a part of the new Group.

Post edited by JimmyC_2009 on
  • fruitwortfruitwort Posts: 0
    edited February 2013

In the past, we would have parented all of the items to a Null, and when we moved the Null, all of the parts moved as a whole.

In DS4.5, there is an option in the Create menu called 'New Group'. Select all of the items that you want to be in the group, do this by selecting the top one, then hold down Shift, and select the bottom one, all will then be selected. Go to the Create menu with these items still selected, and select New Group, name the group whatever you want, click Accept, and all selected parts will now be a part of the new Group.

I found your post quite by accident when I searched for Parent - search actually worked this time!

It would explain why the DS3 parenting routine no longer works in DS4 as it has been replaced by what you have described. Whenever I had tried to parent two figures with clothing and hair attached, the Hair flies off the Head and the clothing "explodes"!

It is mentioned in the "Manual" but simply to say:

"What's This?

Create a new Group

"A Group is a node in the Scene that has no geometry. Other nodes can be parented to it to form a group or 3D layer.

More... "

Regrettably, no more!

If I might be permitted to enlarge on your instructions a little for other morons like me:-

1. Go to the Scene tab.

2. High-light (left click) the first item to be in the Group.

3. Hold the Shift key down and select the next item. Both items should now be high-lighted.

4. Select the Create menu.

5. Scroll down to New Group and select.

6. Name your Group and click Accept.

In the Scene tab, the name of your group should be displayed as a main node(?) with the items selected displayed below.

7. Select the Group.

You can now use the Transforms under Parameters to Rotate or Translate as required to move both selections together. You can also do this using the Rotate or Translate tool.

8. If you want to transform only one item in your group, select (high-light) it and it can now be moved on its own. To move the items both together again, select the Group.

9. I am assuming that you can include as many items as you desire when creating the Group; I haven't tried this myself yet!.

10. It appears that you can add an item to an existing Group by parenting that item to the Group node in the Scene tab

Unlike DS3, it doesn't matter in which order you select items for inclusion in a Group. In DS3 you had to determine which item was the "prime" mover, i.e. the chair or the sitter.

Good luck. Please comment if I have got something wrong or it is not clear! :)

Post edited by fruitwort on
  • JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

What you have written seems fine to me, thank you for expanding it, I am sure it will help others too.

The documentation is still in 'Draft' mode, but hopefully it will be completed soon. :)