Save as: Character Preset vs Save As: Figure/Prop Asset

wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
edited February 2013 in Daz Studio Discussion

Okay, I really need to know the difference because I am very confused.

using DS 4.5.1.56

I had understood that if you save a Figure/Prop asset it saves as a DSF file... fine. If you save as a Character Preset, that DS will somewhere create a DSF file...

Trouble is, I have done both and I can't find the DSF files, assuming they were created when I used Character Preset...

So, my question is this: how are my files being organized and how do I get control of the situation so things are predictable?

Post edited by wancow on

Comments

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited February 2013

double post, sorry :)

Post edited by wancow on
  • kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526
    edited December 1969

Hi wancow,,
    how you made the shape and apply material?

if you make the shape by morph which you have not saved as dsf (assets data)
    character preset simply record the morph name, path and, geometry data in the duf.

eg if I use morphloader pro, and import morph target.
    it make controlloer on ds. so I can use the morph and make new shape.
    but untill I save the morph,, the morph geometry data may not saved in data.
    so character preset duf record the geometry value (the morph geometry data (delta of vertices)
    on the duf. not make dsf I think.

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

Okay, I am aware of this. HOWEVER, I have character files that are 15mb and character files saved as scene subsets that are 1mb. And there is no reason I can find for this discrepancy. The only thing I can figure out is that in certain cases, I saved character presets and in others I did not.

• kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526
    edited December 1969

^^;
    when you save as scene subset,,and if the data has not saved as dsf,, it actually
    make dsf somewhere. so subset is so smart,, (but it seems same about sum,,,I think so,,)

and affer that, you saved the subset ,, as cahracter preset,,
    the preset just load the dsf (it made when you save it as subset)

I asked and bejaymac taught me,, when use auto-fit, and save as scene subset,,
    actually ds make dsf with strange name and save it strange place ^^;

and if you want to check,, just open the duf (character preest) by text editor.
    (you may need 7zip to extract if you compressed when you save it)

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,886
    edited December 1969

A character preset is a self contained file, it holds the morph dial settings and the surface shader data, in DS3 and earlier versions the preset had to be applied to the figure after you'd injected the morphs into it ie V4, the DSF in 4.0 and DUF in 4.5 are designed for use only on TriAx figures as they will load that figure for you before applying the morphs and textures.

Figure/Prop Asset does what it's name suggests and saves figures/conformers and props to your data folder in the DSON format, which in 4.5 gives you a DUF loader in your content library and several DSF asset files in "data/Author/Product/Item", any time I convert something to Genesis using the autofit or TU I always save it out using this option.