Basics 101: How To Find What's Installed, Get To ReadMe's, Poke Through After Loading

NovicaNovica Posts: 23,881
edited February 2013 in New Users

14266_OnyxGenFemMetaData_v1.0_ds.exe - pc
14266_OnyxGenFem_v1.0_ds.exe - pc

are the only two files I need for Onyx for Genesis Female- the other two say MAC. There are no Poser files. This is what I get when I load that item onto Genesis. Poke through and weird sleeves. Keep in mind I am just starting to use Genesis- and I do mean "just" although I had loaded a few outfits onto Genesis when I started buying in September. All garments loaded with material- none were the silver figure.
All files are loaded. I HAVE BEEN HAVING PROBLEMS WITH THE NEW DAZ VERSION. (other threads.) Don't know if this is another one!

So here's the questions-
1. For Onyx for Genesis Female, is that poke through normal? First figure) What's going on with the outfit sleeves?

2. what is it called when you have the silver product without any material or shading? Want to use the correct term.

3. Can't load the material onto it- how do I do it? As I remember, you select the item on the figure by clicking on it (aka, click the dress on Genesis) then double click the materials product . Do I have to have the Universal Tool selected, or does it matter? I tried that, then the Surface Selection Tool, because Universal didnt work. I'm double clicking the materials and nada, ziltch. I didn't have any trouble until I switched to this newer version, but can't remember if it makes a difference for the Tool selected. Neither work.

4. Is there a way in the studio to tell which files I have installed in the studio? I know the C/user name/MyDocuments/Daz3D/Studio/MyLibrary when downloading. (I'm tired, hope I am not confusing that with installing. Even if I am not, this may help someone else get all this straight. So basic, but so DUH if you know nothing.)

5. If the materials product for the corset is showing (as in photo) then obviously the material came with the dress file?

6. Where on earth are the readme's on Daz's site? How do you get to a readme for a product?

onyx2.jpg
800 x 471 - 760K
onyx.jpg
475 x 600 - 671K
Post edited by Novica on

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 24,071
    edited December 1969

I can help with one of your issues. It looks like you have selected Smooth Shaded instead of Texture Shaded. Smooth Shaded shows everything without the material textures. Change to Texture Shaded and I bet you will see the material selections working correctly. It may solve most of your problems.

Shading_Selection.jpg
    541 x 449 - 78K
    edited December 1969

OK, here I loaded Genesis Basic Female and then Onyx Dress. In the two attached images, all I did was switch between Smooth Shaded and Texture Shaded.

Texture_Shaded.JPG
    790 x 816 - 78K
    Smooth_Shaded.JPG
    800 x 812 - 81K
    edited December 1969

ReadMe files are here http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/read_me/index/start ,sorted by SKU number on separate pages.
    Your Onyx Dress is SKU 14266 (The first numbers in your product installation file name). So, the readme is here http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/read_me/index/14266/start . Unfortunately, you will find that a lot of readme files are incomplete (like this one). Sometimes you can find some useful information, but often not, I'm sorry to report. >:(

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,881
    edited December 1969

Love ya! Will try that :)

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,881
    edited December 1969

So, does it matter if you have the Universal Tool selected or the Surface Selection Tool? I have only used the surface one when I was following Carnite's Toadstool Cottage / making ground plane and doing morphs/ grassing them.

And this?
    4. Is there a way in the studio to tell which files I have installed in the studio? I know the C/user name/MyDocuments/Daz3D/Studio/MyLibrary when downloading. (I’m tired, hope I am not confusing that with installing. Even if I am not, this may help someone else get all this straight. So basic, but so DUH if you know nothing.)

Otherwise, thanks SO much folks :)

Cathie