Need help in New USers Forum again please Bryce to Daz Studio question

ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

Is there anyone who has any information they can share about how to transfer a terrain and/or a landscape type scene from Bryce into Daz Studio.

I have a couple of people who as asking in the New Users Contest thread, which is here

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/16063/P30/#240511

Thanks

Comments

• IanTPIanTP Posts: 1,329
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Is there anyone who has any information they can share about how to transfer a terrain and/or a landscape type scene from Bryce into Daz Studio.

I have a couple of people who as asking in the New Users Contest thread, which is here

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/16063/P30/#240511

Thanks

I would love to know how to do this :)

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Hi Ian. Are you going to come and Play in the New Users Contest this month, as it is a Bryce specific Contest, you would be eligible.

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Hi Ian. Are you going to come and Play in the New Users Contest this month, as it is a Bryce specific Contest, you would be eligible.

Thank you Pam, I think it's the bit about using a background in Daz that I don't know anything about, I can create a terrain and export it as a PNG, but what then? I'm reading thru the WIP thread now :)

edited December 1969

Well we really are trying to encourage New Users to try Bryce,

However, as a background you simply use the image of the Bryce Landscape you made, instead of buying ready made backgrounds.

Actually exporting the Bryce stuff into Daz Studio, I know it can be done, or mostly done, but need someone to come on over and give a few hints and tips.

It always seems back to front to me, as I bring stuff over into Bryce and render in Bryce, but I know people have succeeded in doing it in reverse.

edited December 1969

I'll catch u over in the WIP thread, rather than start something here :)

edited December 1969

Is that a threat or a promise :question: :coolsmirk:

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Is that a threat or a promise :question: :coolsmirk:

:-P

• RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

I've taken a stab at trying to import a Bryce Terrain object into DAZ Studio and the results are iffy, the textures don't translate over well at all (the Bridge converts it over to an image map).

• Dan WhitesideDan Whiteside Posts: 500
    edited February 2013

If it's just terrains it's far better to export the terrain to .OBJ and import that into D|S rather then use the Bridge.
    You get a lot more options for the mesh resolution and texture size.
    It can also produce some truly gigantic file sizes and very long export times...

Post edited by Dan Whiteside on
  • srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

chohole said:

I posted a link to thread http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/13506/ which has some info; there are better threads out there somewhere I think but I don't remember where. Relating to transferring terrains (from this thread):
    Exporting a terrain: Don’t use the Bryce/Studio bridge. Instead, select the terrain, then from the menu bar select File > “Export Object”. Change the filename to have no spaces, or it won’t work (the default name may be bad). Change the “Save as type” dropdown to “Wavefront OBJ Files (*.obj)(Mesh Export)” and press the Save button (I haven’t experimented with formats other than this). Drag the slider at the bottom of the next window farther but not all the way to the right to increase the resolution to the desired level (the default is far too low) and press the green checkmark.

edited December 1969

Thanks Sean, will give it a try :)

• RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

I think generating a height mask in bryce and applying it to a plane in DAZ as a displacement map works pretty well,

bryce-terrain-DAZ.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 526K
  • LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 1969

I see alot of people suddenly interested in wanting to import things from Bryce into Studio, presumably for the new user contest for February 2013. That seems to me to really be going against the intent of the contest and not a good idea for new users since going from Bryce to Studio is more fussy and complicated then going from Studio to Bryce. Now I realize that not all new users are new to 3D Art but rather just new to the Daz forums. Some entering this contest however are in fact new to all of this so to focus on trying to go from Bryce to Studio just seems to be making things more complicated then need be and may in fact have the opposite effect of getting people more into Daz products by giving them the impression they're difficult to work with.

I would strongly encourage folks entering this contest to forget about moving things from Bryce into Studio but rather just use Bryce to make the background of thier scene, render that and then load the rendered scene into studio as the background. If however one wants to do something more complicated where the subject(s) of the scene need to interact with the environment more then a rendered background image allows I would suggest making your scene minus the background (but based on the background environment you make in Bryce) and then send that scene from Studio to Bryce. The only drawback to that however is if you plan on using some special lighting option available to Studio it won't transfer to Bryce and so you would have to try to create something similar in Bryce yourself. Also it would perhaps rule out options such as using a 3rd party rendering option like Reality.

Now I say all this not because going from Bryce to Studio can't be done but because that's really more something a more experienced user should attempt. The Bridge was really meant more to go from Studio to Bryce and so it's not terribly new-user friendly to go from Bryce to Studio. Plus there are things in Studio that just don't work in Bryce such as Sub Surface Scattering and then things in Bryce that don't work or don't work properly in Studio such as the Bryce Advanced Lighting or Bryce Materials.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not telling anyone to not do it per se as if it is wrong to do so, I've not the authority to say things in that way. I'm just pointing out that this contest is supposed to be fun and instructive on a beginner's level but if you try to go from Bryce to Studio then I doubt it will be fun and if it's instructive what is learned should be considered more of an advanced level then a beginners level.