Manipulating the basic figure

bison2bison2 Posts: 0

Hi everyone,
I'm a newbie and just installed DAZ studio the other day. I need some directions to be pointed towards.

First let me explain what my intended use of DAZ. I'm a painter and my intention is to use DAZ as a posing reference in lieu of a live model since I'm quite a ways out from any urban area. I started playing around with the basic figure and soon got it into some bizarre pose off the ground, upside down etc.

I'm completely at a loss as to what the little diagrams represent and how to move the various joints and limbs of a figure. Sometimes I seem to have activated the mouse and other times not. I don't want to have to re-invent the wheel (so to speak) and just want to start being able to do some simple maniputating so as to set the figure into a pose that will allow me to get an idea as to how the foreshortening of an arm or leg or some body part hidden behind another lays when I draw the preliminary sketch for a figure painting.

I'm not at all looking to animate a figure. At some point I may decide to add clothing and props but for now I just need to learn how to move the various parts. So far it's really hit or miss. Sometimes it seems I've lucked out and can actually move a limb or turn the figure in the general direction I need but for the most part I can't seem to.

Is there some step by step tutorial or video that explains the logic behind the little diagrams that appear at the joints? I realize they somehow show possible directions the limb will rotate but thats about as far as I've gotten. Is there a "DAZ for Idiots" (joke)

There seems to be this one book on Amazon as far as I can gather. ”Figures, Characters and Avatars: The Official Guide to Using DAZ Studio to Create Beautiful Art” is it a useful book to buy or are there better resources?

Thanking you in advance for any help or advise.

JB

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,958
    edited December 1969

Which tool are you using (Tools menu)? For a new user the simplest is probably the rotation tool - then you get a circle for each axis the selected bone can turn around, and dragging on the circle will move the bone and all the bones that are attached to it. Generally you want tos tart from the hip, or pelvis and abdomen1 in Genesis, and work your way out to the extremities since that doesn't mess up what you have done before (though you may need to go back and adjust things). If possible it's a good idea to assume the pose yourself and note which bits you bend and how.

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

If possible it's a good idea to assume the pose yourself and note which bits you bend and how.

One of the best pieces of advice I ever received with regard to posing figures was exactly this!!! That, and work slowly with the sliders from the hip toward the extremities.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

If possible it's a good idea to assume the pose yourself and note which bits you bend and how.

I have a mental vision of a tangle of limbs with one foot sticking out of the bottom, slowly toppling over. ;-)

That book mentioned in the first post includes a DVD with a large amount of included programs and content. Some of it is a bit old now, but everything (I think) still works. Generally considered one of the best things you can buy to learn how to use all this stuff.