[Solved] Need help creating a texture for a not uv-mapped pp2 prop

BlazeMystEraBlazeMystEra Posts: 464
edited February 2013 in The Commons

Hello,

there's this lovely Claddagh Freebie Ring over at Rendo. I'd really like to retexture it, but it doesn't have any texture Files which I could start from... isn't UV-mapped I think.

I tried building UV-Map with the UVMaker, but what came out of it... uhm... wasn't something I could work with.

Can anybody help me out with some advice on how to get a UV-Map from this which I can work with?

Post edited by BlazeMystEra on

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Claddagh rings are traditionally made in either gold or silver, so surely either could be done with shaders, which is presumably why they haven't bothered with UV mapping it.

• BlazeMystEraBlazeMystEra Posts: 464
    edited December 1969

Yes... but the thing is, that I'd need the heart to be red, preferably rubylike looking.
    Sure, I could postwork, but I think that'll not be the same result...

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

Poser's grouping tool, you could make a material zone for the heart polys.

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited February 2013

I could probably UV map it easily enough, but I'd need the artists permission to distribute the UV mapped version afterwards. I'll take a look, but if the artist says no then you'll have to map it manually.

Edit: Actually, Misty makes a good point. Both Daz and Poser can create new surfaces, so you could just select the polys which make up the heart and remap them to a unique surface.

Post edited by Herald of Fire on
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited February 2013

If we are allowed to link to the Item I could Take a look and MAYBE walk you through UV mapping it with HEX. I'm starting to get okay at UVing in Hex now.

EDIT: The DS Grouping would also allow you do pull this off. I forgot we can create new Material zones now.

Post edited by Jaderail on
  • Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

Et voila, one remapped ring. Easy. I even replaced the 'gold' material for a decent Daz version just for presentations sake.

Ring.PNG
    319 x 265 - 186K
  • BlazeMystEraBlazeMystEra Posts: 464
    edited February 2013

wow, that looks great...
    I guess I'll have to look into that possibilities of DAZ a little bit more...

Thank you all for telling me that this is possible!

Edit: Bleh... I don't even know where I have to start for this... is there a tutorial that shows me how to do that?

Hah... found it ^^
    Awesome! Thanks again :)

For anyone who is interested: http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/userguide/creating_content/surfacing/tutorials/create_surface_groups/start

Post edited by BlazeMystEra on