Buying Add-ons for Genesis Products?

SuperdogSuperdog Posts: 765
edited February 2013 in New Users

If I buy a Genesis version of a hair style can I use the colour add-ons for that hair style or were they only designed for the M4 version? Also do texture/colour add-ons work for both Genesis and M4 versions of a garment? When I read the information for these add-ons it doesn't say exactly which version they are meant for or whether they will work for Genesis.

To give a concrete example will this add-on,

http://www.daz3d.com/colors-for-timeless-male-hair

work with this Genesis hair style?

http://www.daz3d.com/timeless-male-hair-for-genesis

Before I buy the add-ons I'd like to find out if they'll work otherwise I'll have to spend more money buying the M4 product versions and try to fit them to Genesis figures.

Post edited by Superdog on

Comments

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

In many cases they can work, but it depends on the item. Some times the two versions will have different UVs which makes transferring textures from one to the other quite difficult. I can't speak for the timeless male hair as I only have the Genesis base and don't have the extra M4 textures to test it.

• SuperdogSuperdog Posts: 765
    edited February 2013

Ok thanks! I wish DAZ or the vendors would just add a little note about whether their add-ons will work with Genesis. It would save a lot of confusion.

Post edited by Superdog on
  • wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

Superdog said:
    Ok thanks! I wish DAZ or the vendors would just add a little note about whether their add-ons will work with Genesis. It would save a lot of confusion.

What might have happened is that the vendor might have released the Genesis version of the hair after the textures were released...

My guess is that it's got the same exact UVS... but since there's a 1% chance I could be wrong...

edited December 1969

It's only $1.99 for the colours add-on now that I'm a PC member so I don't mind taking that risk. I just thought there might be a way of telling one way or another.

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,340
    edited February 2013

In many cases they can work, but it depends on the item. Some times the two versions will have different UVs which makes transferring textures from one to the other quite difficult. I can't speak for the timeless male hair as I only have the Genesis base and don't have the extra M4 textures to test it.

I do have Timeless Male Hair for Genesis and Colors for Timeless Male Hair. I don't have the M4 version of Timeless Male Hair. The colors do work on the Genesis version. I'm fairly certain this is the case for all such hair items that have Gen4 and Genesis versions, and "Colors for..." add-ons.

I know there are some clothing items where UVs aren't the same from one version to another, but the only one I'm aware of from the Platinum Club is the Morphing Fantasy Dress for Stephanie Petite 3.

Post edited by Scott Livingston on
    edited December 1969

I do have Timeless Male Hair for Genesis and Colors for Timeless Male Hair. I don't have the M4 version of Timeless Male Hair. The colors do work on the Genesis version. I'm fairly certain this is the case for all such hair items that have Gen4 and Genesis versions, and "Colors for..." add-ons.

I know there are some clothing items where UVs aren't the same from one version to another, but the only one I'm aware of from the Platinum Club is the Morphing Fantasy Dress for Stephanie Petite 3.

Thanks for confirming that.