Life size renders for a plotter printing

edited February 2013 in The Commons

Ok here is an interesting problem.. I used some DAZ figures to make some characters for a project that will require life size stand ups.. I have never done life size work before and while I have access to a plotter large enough, prints can get costly so multiple "test prints" is not a option (I have to pay for my own supplies) ...
So what I am having problems figuring out what to set the render dimensions to in Poser Pro 2012 to get the right proportions to come out right... One made using M3 I centered him in frame and set the render high to 72in (6ft), But when he renders the scaled down on screen image looks about right but when viewed at full print size he looks too small mostly too narrow.. His shoulders fit on a 23in 1920x1080 screen with ease, so I am not sure if is the render or the screen making it look off scale.. the only thing I have not changes was the pixels to inch setting still at 72 pix\in...

Post edited by cyden101_82a5085b06 on

Comments

• BWSmanBWSman Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

72px/inch is really too low a resolution for that size of print. When printed out is would look a little grainy. you'll want to go up to 300px/inch (dpi); which will make your render bigger (not in physical dimensions but in pixel size). your image height will be 21600 and your width should be at least 10800. This is based on a 72"x36" render. You original render would be 5184x2592 pixels (again based on a 72"x36" render).

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,975
    edited February 2013

I'm not following the question - how big do you want the print to be, and what resolution is needed (assuming it's not to be viewed up close you probbaly don't need 300PPI, but 72 would be too low). Even at 72, though, the image would be 72*72 = 5,184 pixels high, and presumably at least a couple of feet (1,728 pixels) wide. At a more reasonable 200PPI you'd be looking at 14,000 by 4,800 pixels - does Poser render that large? I think DS tops out at 10,000 pixels but I'm not sure about Poser. 150PPI might be OK for soemthing to be viewed from a distance, which would be 10,800 pixels high.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • SilverhurstSilverhurst Posts: 182
    edited December 1969

You can always use Alien Skin's Blow-Up 2 to enlarge your image. I've used it commercially multiple times with very good results. There are also other enlargement tools out there like Blow-Up.