[Solved] Need help assembling some ancient models...

baronvonbaronbaronvonbaron Posts: 0

Hello, again!

Well, I recently became motivated to go through my freebie bookmarks...

I was pulled into a crazy (ongoing) journey through web.archive.org mirrors and half working websites looking for the ever-elusive content created by such artist such as "yamato", sites like "isop.ne.jp", "mad.zombie.jp", and "digitalbabes2.com" (I have an affinity for Japanese Poser content)...
It's sad how all these great models and sites are slowly dissapearing...
Look at the model I needed help with in this thread:
http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/8160/

The site is now gone!

Anyhow, Many of the characters (Tenten, Anan, etc) required me to decode .rte files or .pct files, no problem...

Until I encountered some files that also required you to import geometry into poser, then export it, etc...

I've been ending up with broken models... (just the hips/genitals of one character, no geometry whatsoever with a different character, etc)

I'm using Poser Pro 2012 (Mac), but I've noticed that all the tutorials use Poser 5 (actually, I noticed that most of these great Japanese models were developed for v5, what's so special about it?)
I picked up a copy of v5 (for Windows, I use Bootcamp) at a thrift store (Mostly so that I could have the P5 content)... It installs fine, but attempting to launch it under Windows 7 results in it displaying a dialog telling me to restart my computer to enable device drivers, So I cannot attempt to assemble the figures with it...

I must be doing something wrong... What exactly?

Every page linked here contains nudity, unless otherwise noted.

Here is one of the figures:

http://web.archive.org/web/20070124040113/http://www005.upp.so-net.ne.jp/yamato-poser/temp/TentenNewJudy.zip

Here is the "main page" that links to the above zip:

http://web.archive.org/web/20051215034404/http://www.juno.dti.ne.jp/~yamato-k/Penthousecollection.html

I have not tried the two bottom tutorials/kits, but I am 95% sure that they would give me the same kind of results that the other figures would...

And here is the other figure:

http://homepage1.nifty.com/garbagesoft/chr_download.html

(Vicki body Animedoll const kit)

Thank you for you time...

Post edited by baronvonbaron on

Comments

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

dddx said:
    Hello, again!

Well, I recently became motivated to go through my freebie bookmarks...

I was pulled into a crazy (ongoing) journey through web.archive.org mirrors and half working websites looking for the ever-elusive content created by such artist such as "yamato", sites like "isop.ne.jp", "mad.zombie.jp", and "digitalbabes2.com" (I have an affinity for Japanese Poser content)...
    It's sad how all these great models and sites are slowly dissapearing...
    Look at the model I needed help with in this thread:
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/8160/

The site is now gone!

Anyhow, Many of the characters (Tenten, Anan, etc) required me to decode .rte files or .pct files, no problem...

Until I encountered some files that also required you to import geometry into poser, then export it, etc...

I've been ending up with broken models... (just the hips/genitals of one character, no geometry whatsoever with a different character, etc)

I'm using Poser Pro 2012 (Mac), but I've noticed that all the tutorials use Poser 5 (actually, I noticed that most of these great Japanese models were developed for v5, what's so special about it?)
    I picked up a copy of v5 (for Windows, I use Bootcamp) at a thrift store (Mostly so that I could have the P5 content)... It installs fine, but attempting to launch it under Windows 7 results in it displaying a dialog telling me to restart my computer to enable device drivers, So I cannot attempt to assemble the figures with it...

I must be doing something wrong... What exactly?

Every page linked here contains nudity, unless otherwise noted.

Here is one of the figures:

http://web.archive.org/web/20070124040113/http://www005.upp.so-net.ne.jp/yamato-poser/temp/TentenNewJudy.zip

Here is the "main page" that links to the above zip:

http://web.archive.org/web/20051215034404/http://www.juno.dti.ne.jp/~yamato-k/Penthousecollection.html

I have not tried the two bottom tutorials/kits, but I am 95% sure that they would give me the same kind of results that the other figures would...

And here is the other figure:

http://homepage1.nifty.com/garbagesoft/chr_download.html

(Vicki body Animedoll const kit)

Thank you for you time...

Yes it's sad, the past and ongoing earthquakes have sure taken their toll.

Maybe something here will help with Poser 5:
    http://poser.smithmicro.com/poser5updates.html

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited February 2013

Although as you say a Lot of the Japanes figures like TenTen were released when Poser 5 was the current release, as Poser is usually backwards compatible I see no real reason why you wouldn't be able to use them in the current version.

I have found that it is very difficult to get versions of Poser prior to Poser 7 to work under Windows 7, and I gave up and bought a copy of P8 to use.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • baronvonbaronbaronvonbaron Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Yes it's sad, the past and ongoing earthquakes have sure taken their toll.

Maybe something here will help with Poser 5:
    http://poser.smithmicro.com/poser5updates.html

It appears to be something to do with the driver installation... Not something a simple update could fix...

Although as you say a Lot of the Japanes figures like TenTen were released when Poser 5 was the current release, as Poser is usually backwards compatible I see no real reason why you wouldn't be able to use them in the current version.

I have found that it is very difficult to get versions of Poser prior to Poser 7 to work under Windows 7, and I gave up and bought a copy of P8 to use.

In which case, I must be doing something wrong... But I can't figure out what...

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,886
    edited December 1969

Not sure how Pro12 handles Geometry switching as Poser 6 was as far as I got, but from the sounds of things that's whats causing your problems, TentenNewJudy uses AnAn's body in the rte file, but it doesn't include her NoGens .OBJ for the Geometry Switching in the hip.

edited December 1969

Bejaymac said:
    Not sure how Pro12 handles Geometry switching as Poser 6 was as far as I got, but from the sounds of things that's whats causing your problems, TentenNewJudy uses AnAn's body in the rte file, but it doesn't include her NoGens .OBJ for the Geometry Switching in the hip.

Unfortunately, I don't understand what you mean... What is "Geometry Switching"?

edited December 1969

dddx said:
    Unfortunately, I don't understand what you mean... What is "Geometry Switching"?

It's a function that's been part of Poser more or less from the beginning, if a figure is setup to allow it, then you can swap the mesh from a body part with another mesh, in the case of the P5 & 6 figures it's to swap out the genitals for a more Barbie doll look.

I just tried TentenNewJudy in DS4.5 and got the same result as you, but I then noticed my stupid mistake and fixed it, I used the wrong export settings when I saved the Head & Body OBJ as Vhead-NewP5body.obj, my settings replaced the grouping names that was in the mesh, which means it wont load, so I'm wondering if you did the same thing.

edited February 2013

Tried it again, same result:

[Warning: Contains Nudity]
    {http://i.imgur.com/uAe8Pk5.png}

The export settings I have checked are:
    "As Morph Target" and "Include existing groups in polygon groups"…

Tried with DAZ Studio, same result…

DAZ Export settings:

http://i.imgur.com/czJTzyB.png

edited December 1969

Well with those DS settings that's no surprise, you have basically wiped out everything from the mesh, no UV, no groups, no surfaces and no welds, I wouldn't even do that for a Morph Target. The attached pic is what you want to use in DS for this, select the Poser preset and then change the groups option to "use existing groups", then hit Accept.

I've installed Debut (butchered Poser 8) and got the same thing you did using the default export options, I'm now running tests to see what each setting is giving me as it appears the existing group names are being nerfed.

Settings.jpg
    1177 x 719 - 197K
    edited December 1969

Thank you for those settings, they worked perfectly…

Using DAZStudio again reminds me of how annoying I find the content structure :(

I used to use it all the time, but with Poser content directories…

edited December 1969

Using the default export settings in Poser gives you 2 groups in the mesh, Body & Head, which is not what you want.

In Poser Debut the closest I can get to a usable mesh is what you see in the attached image, however this mesh isn't usable right away, you will need to edit it to remove things Poser is adding to it that it shouldn't be adding, every group from the Body.OBJ now has a ":1" added to the end of the name, and the groups from the Head.OBJ now have a ":2" after their names, on top of that is the fact the surfaces have had the same treatment, so the materials wont even work on it.
    No idea when this "feature" (AKA cluster**** of a bug) got added to Poser as I used the exact same settings in Poser 6 and got a mesh with correctly named groups and surfaces, that worked straight away, and to top it off the OBJ files was much smaller just like the DS made OBJ.

Debut.jpg
    530 x 273 - 74K
  • pwiecekpwiecek Posts: 1,575
    edited February 2013

dddx said:
    but I've noticed that all the tutorials use Poser 5 (actually, I noticed that most of these great Japanese models were developed for v5, what's so special about it?)

Nothing. It was merely the state of the art version when these models were made. There is nothing by these artists created in anything later because they have been gone from the scene for a while.

As far as your problems with running it, do some research on "Windows Compatibility Mode". Unfortunately, I'm not sure how well this works on a Mac.

Post edited by pwiecek on
    edited December 1969

Bejaymac said:
    Using the default export settings in Poser gives you 2 groups in the mesh, Body & Head, which is not what you want.

In Poser Debut the closest I can get to a usable mesh is what you see in the attached image, however this mesh isn't usable right away, you will need to edit it to remove things Poser is adding to it that it shouldn't be adding, every group from the Body.OBJ now has a ":1" added to the end of the name, and the groups from the Head.OBJ now have a ":2" after their names, on top of that is the fact the surfaces have had the same treatment, so the materials wont even work on it.
    No idea when this "feature" (AKA cluster**** of a bug) got added to Poser as I used the exact same settings in Poser 6 and got a mesh with correctly named groups and surfaces, that worked straight away, and to top it off the OBJ files was much smaller just like the DS made OBJ.

So, basically, it's harder to do it in Poser than it is to do it in DAZStudio?

pwiecek said:
    but I've noticed that all the tutorials use Poser 5 (actually, I noticed that most of these great Japanese models were developed for v5, what's so special about it?)

Nothing. It was merely the state of the art version when these models were made. There is nothing by these artists created in anything later because they have been gone from the scene for a while.

As far as your problems with running it, do some research on "Windows Compatibility Mode". Unfortunately, I'm not sure how well this works on a Mac.

I tried the compatibility mode, didn't work… I've never had success with it.

edited December 1969

dddx said:

pwiecek said:
    dddx said:

So, at this point, are you still wanting to pursue getting poser 5 to work?

edited December 1969

pwiecek said:
    dddx said:

pwiecek said:
    dddx said:

I have a Windows XP virtual machine, I was planning on trying to get it running there…

Is there any way to export only certain objects in DAZStudio?

edited December 1969

dddx said:
    .... edit ...

I have a Windows XP virtual machine, I was planning on trying to get it running there…

Have the intended object for export as the selected item. Make sure it is not "parented to", nor "fitted to" anything.
    If that doesn't work, delete everything else out of the scene, select the item and try again.

edited February 2013

dddx said:
    .... edit ...

Have the intended object for export as the selected item. Make sure it is not "parented to", nor "fitted to" anything.
    If that doesn't work, delete everything else out of the scene, select the item and try again.

Let me rephrase that… Is it possible to export parts of a character?
    eg. The neck, head, and eyes… but nothing else…

edited December 1969

dddx said:
    dddx said:
    .... edit ...

Okay ... load the character. "Hide" all the unwanted parts. Select the remaining part and export out the .obj file. If you want the parts [i.e. eyes] to be moveable, be careful which boxes are checked. [i.e. don't weld them]

edited December 1969

dddx said:
    dddx said:
    .... edit ...

Okay ... load the character. "Hide" all the unwanted parts. Select the remaining part and export out the .obj file. If you want the parts [i.e. eyes] to be moveable, be careful which boxes are checked. [i.e. don't weld them]

Thank you!

Next figure…

http://homepage1.nifty.com/garbagesoft/downloads/adconstkit.zip

Result after assembling in DAZStudio

http://i.imgur.com/oZYHHtw.png

What it looks like in Poser

http://i.imgur.com/JYzs4YR.png
    edited December 1969

dddx said:
    pwiecek said:
    dddx said:

pwiecek said:
    dddx said:

That's what I was going to recommend. If that still doesn't work see if you can dig up 95 or 98. I'm no fan of ME butt that might work too

edited December 1969

Just tried Poser 5 in XP, BSOD…

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

That's strange as I was using P4 in XP. Mind you P5 was the one version I hated. Went back to 4 after a month, then later went to 6 all on an XP machine.

edited February 2013

I managed to assemble all the figures by exporting the individual meshes with poser, importing them into DAZStudio, and then exporting the final meshes.

Thanks to everyone that helped. :)