What should I backup

oldblockoldblock Posts: 99

I saw a thread with some good advice on backing up but I can't find it now.
What files should be saved to ensure I can carry on where I was if distaster strikes.

Comments

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,898
    edited December 1969

What all are you backing up?

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Probably one of adam's helpful threads, here is a list of them http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/306/

• oldblockoldblock Posts: 99
    edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:
    What all are you backing up?

DAZ Studio stuff
  • srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

This list doesn't include everything, but you may want at least these:

you definitely have to back up your content database.
    I don't recall where the default location is; when you install DAZ Studio, shen prompted, check "Customize DAZ Content Management Service Installation", then in the Content Management Service's Install Directories window (not to be confused with the first DAZ Studio installer's Directories window) it's whatever value you have in the "Database location:" field. A simple copy of this folder (AFTER shutting down the content manager) works.

Possibly you may need to back up your smart content separately from your content database; I don't use smart content at the moment, so I haven't looked into that; somebody else will need to answer this.

back up your data folder. It is stored in the first mapped native content folder.
    Content Library tab > menu icon (in upper corner) > Content Directory Manager > (your current content set): click the little '+' in front of "DAZ Studio Formats" to expand it, then write down the first listed folder. (I started with my own custom empty folder here so that's all that's in that folder I need to back up, but if you didn't do this, this folder will also be mixed with whatever random item of content you happen to have there.)

if you don't want to have to manually reenter every single mapped DS native content folder., you want to save SOME Registry settings. Let me know if you want more information (you shouldn't mess with registry settings unless you know what you're doing, it's not really a good approach for several reasons even though it does work fine for me at the moment, there might be a better way that I don't know about at this point, and the instructions are a bit long-winded.)

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

One other thing to be aware of, some of your DAZ Studio scenes might have references outside of their folders to texture files stored elsewhere on your PC, and if you have any scenes like that, those will of course may longer be working after you restore your PC from a backup depending on what you are backing up. This is an issue when importing objects and saving them as a scene, or transferring objects to DAZ Studio from Hexagon or Bryce. If you do any of these things, you will need to research this as well. Basically the solution is to move the textures to a local folder that you are backing up, but of course that means track them all down, changing them, and resaving the scene.

• oldblockoldblock Posts: 99
    edited December 1969

Many thanks, sorry about the delay in acknowledging but things have been happenning here. I think I've got everything backed up, the truth will out when disaster strikes.