Help needed to convert Space Dweller outfits to fit Genesis

MBuschMBusch Posts: 547

Hi!

I am having some fun time converting the Space Dweller for M4 and Space Dweller for V4 outfits to fit Genesis. To the most part of items I am using the auto fit tool and getting a good job.

Anyway, there are 3 items which have a very different rigging and I would like to know what is the best path to transfer their respective rigs without loose the adjustments and pose controls. Can someone help me with this task?

Screen_Shot_2013-02-20_at_15.22_.35_.jpg
591 x 591 - 66K
Screen_Shot_2013-02-20_at_15.21_.46_.jpg
603 x 595 - 69K
Screen_Shot_2013-02-20_at_14.21_.50_.jpg
589 x 587 - 55K
Post edited by MBusch on

Comments

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,157
    edited December 1969

Wish I could help you out. I don't know a thing about rigging, sorry to say. I've still got to sit down and read up on that.

• kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526
    edited February 2013

I am not good modelor, but I sometimes modify V4 clothings with keeping ghosto bones,for genesis.
    and hope same thing as you thought (more easy way, and less modify,,)

so I can only show,, how I modified some clothings (roins ) with keeping ghost rigs.
    I do not know,, it is useful for you, or can some help,, but this is my way,,,
    and I think,, the products have ceparate cape figure,,
    so that it seems not so difficult to weight map about the cape, with ghost bone.

(if use transfer utility,, the weight map must removed about the ghost bone,
    so I can not find other way)

I think there is another way (not use transfer utility) but I can only show with transfer utlitty
    and how modify .

1. load the clothing (for V4 or M4) (cape or mant etc, I use Roin,, but it seems same) only

2. Edit>Figure>Rigging>convert Figure to weight mapping
    then save it as subset. to keep the weight-map figure.
    (after finish you modify,, you must need to save it as figure,
    or,, It seems better first save it as figure and prop, then modify it again and again)

3 Now the new figure may be keep the original morphs and rigs. only change weight mapped
    but, when Fit the Fgiure to genesis,, it can not fit well. because rigs are different from
    genesis.

4. so that I need to trasfer rigs and weight-maps (with keeping ghost bones and morphs)
    load genesis.duf , then in scene tab, click option menu ,
    asset>transfer utility.

5 Usually,, of course I set clone for Source, but on this case,, I did not set Clone.
    because,, about roin or mant,, it seems easy to change scale,, and modify fit to genesis shape.
    if I use reverse option, it make the mant mesh not so good shape. I know, apply smooth modifier
    and re-export inport , work well,, but just change scale is more simple.
    so need not set item shape , keep default.

check point is,, how to set option.
    I do not use projection template about mant etc, so set type none.

general option,
    check on weight map,,thent click, weight map , and set Extend option
    check on only "merge Hielarchys" , I believe it do not remove ghost bones.

check on Selection Map
    Region groups

check off Morph Target. because,, I need not transfer morphs from genesis and projection.

see my pic please. on this case,, need not Reverse Source Shape From target.
    (I modify scaling, after transfer morphs etc)

click accept

6 after transfer usually it can fit to genesis, I did not use reverse option, or V4 shape as source,
    so that the figure do not change the shape. just fit to genesis, as it were. and transfer
    genesis rigs, weight-maps (without assigned with ghost bones).

It keep ghost bones (but lost weight-map assigned ghost-bones)

check each morphs, if it did not use the ghost bones,,or no ERC with ghost bones,
    almost morphs remain and work. and if the morph set ERC with ghost bones.
    actually, bones are move,, so if you set weight map for ghost bones,
    almost of every morph must work. (and poze preset files which use ghost bones, too)

anyway,,, now save the status. this time,,
    I recommend strongly,, t save it as new figure and prop. I often save as figure,
    when modify V4 clothing,, so that I make making folda for each product
    in my library, then save duf in the making folda. (and make product folda for the figure,,
    then save it roin1, roin2, roin3,,,untill I finish work)

transfer.JPG
    751 x 568 - 65K
    roin3.JPG
    750 x 569 - 61K
    roin2.JPG
    836 x 552 - 70K
    roin1.JPG
    834 x 689 - 99K
    Post edited by kitakoredaz on
    edited December 1969

7 if you need to modify the shape which more fit to genesis,,
    export it as obj. then, re-import again.
    I plan to the scaling then, translate more good positon,,

8 (modifying part in Hexagon)
    ( if you do not need to modifying,, you may simply apply weight-map for the ghost bones only.
    taking care, not break current weight-map for other rigs hard))

with fit to genesis, select the genesis, and use hexagon bridgge
    modify by scaling and translate each part.
    then delete genesis in hexagon, then export the new modify shape as new obj,
    now I export it as roin3.obj

after use Hexagon bridge, and export the modified obj,
    must set Export scale, 10.

9 import the new roin.obj to ds. now need scale 100%

then use transfer utility again.

on this time,, Souce is the figure which you saved step6, target is the roin.obj
    then check option,, "Replace Souce with Target", it just exchange the base obj shape,
    with keeping other weight-map, Morph targets etc.
    it is useful, when adjust shape or scale,, or positon of the figure.

10 Now you can see,, the shape exchange to obj,, but it keep the figure name, rigs
    and weight-maps and morphs too.

11 after that,,,, we may need to remove, unused bones by joint editor,
    then assgine weight-maps for ghost bones . before use weight map tools and joint editor,

lets save it as new figure and prop again.. this time I saved it as roin3.duf,,
    now you can see,, the material seems change,, but,, it keep original surface group,
    so if you hope to keep it,, Just copy and paste the materials from original,,
    or if the product have material preset, it must work. (I do not change UV, and surface grouping)

roin9.JPG
    1111 x 650 - 115K
    roin8.JPG
    1025 x 615 - 97K
    roin7.JPG
    1194 x 614 - 117K
    roin6.JPG
    797 x 813 - 108K
    roin5.JPG
    991 x 601 - 103K
    edited December 1969

change ghost bones parent

correct rigging bones
    when I keep ghost bones, and use transfer utility,
    sometimes need to change parent.

I plan to color triax weight about Back bone. but,
    as you can see,, now Back bone7s parent is Hip.

so that if I bend Plevis,,
    it can not follow the movement,,

In picture,, I set weight map to back for test. it remove weight map which assigned to Plevis from the back roin part.
    so that when I bend plevis,, as you can see,, back can not follow the plevis. it may difficult to adjust the shape,
    when pozing.

so I need to change parent of back bone to Plevis.

1 open Joint editor, (change tool)
    then select the back bone. edit>Reparent bone.
    then select plevis.

you may see,, caution window,, but do not care,, (because you have saved,, figure already,,@@:)
    go ahead.

2 By joint editor,, I change center positon, and end positon.
    I plan top area of back roin can be effect by plevis weight map,,.
    (if you hope you can spilit bone,, and more smooth poziing, but may product have
    morphs for movement,, and it can work still,, so I do not spilit bones)

decide, end and center positon, Align>node,
    then, memorize>selected node rigging
    save it as new figure prop. eg roin4.

next step
    I color weight map for back bone. and adjust other bone weight too.
    before color weight, I needed to remove bones which need not color weight map.

use Delete>delete bones ( you never used unused bones,, untill you set weight color,
    it remove your ghost bones)

(I made mistake,,, ,, if use projection template may work better,to remove other bones,

but on this case, I manually,, remove bones by joint editor , one by one,,,, ^^;

I often remain bones, untill finish color weight,, because,, once remove bones,,
    never get buck it,, and if the removed bone was assgined weight already,
    ,it make me difficult to adjust other bones weight,

so in this case,, I remain abdomen 2, and both of Shin,,)

rig5.JPG
    959 x 482 - 69K
    rig4.JPG
    1060 x 598 - 96K
    rig3.JPG
    717 x 628 - 63K
    rig2.JPG
    1062 x 549 - 90K
    rig1.JPG
    1035 x 496 - 75K
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,157
    edited December 1969

WOW.... great tutorial! Thanks so much!

• MBuschMBusch Posts: 547
    edited December 1969

I am not good modelor, but I sometimes modify V4 clothings with keeping ghosto bones,for genesis.
    and hope same thing as you thought (more easy way, and less modify,,)

Thank you so much kitakoredaz! I will give a try with this and post my results and learnings in a couple of days.

Before you reply this request, I just tried something interesting. Knowing that the PA of Space Dweller for M4 is Ravenhair, I searched the store for his products for Genesis and find Hooded Cloak for Genesis which has a very similar rigging. Using the Transfer Utility with Hooded Cloak as source and Space Dweller Cape converted to TriAx Weigh Mapping as target, I was able to get a functional rigging with all adjustments and move morphs preserved. I need to go a little more deeply with this to figure out if is effectively working. Maybe you want give a try with this method.

Cheers!