DAZ Install Manager

lbudlbud Posts: 0

Am I doing something wrong if DIM cannot find my downloads?

I have 44 files showing in My Downloadable Products, but ZERO in DIM. I have refreshed and logged out/in numerous times. Opened a support ticket on that one yesterday.

Then I tried to download individually from the website, but that doesn't work either. It's the servers! [see http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/17798/].

Support has decided not to address my open ticket, either, which is a nice touch...

So far, customer satisfaction has hit zero and is rapidly going negative.

Maybe someone will deign to answer the question here. Who knows?

Cheers,
Bud

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

I just logged in using the DIM without any problem. It shows all of my order history that I have not yet downloaded, not just the itmes in My Donwloadable Products. When you run the DIM, are you asked to log in. If so, what happens next, any error messages?

I bought some plugin items last night, and I just downloaded the files manually from My Account > My Donwloadable Products without a hitch. Plugins will not appear yet in the DIM or the main application (DAZ Studio), but they may at a later stage.

DIM reads your Itemised Order History to show you a list of downloadble products, how many itmes are there in it?

• v3rlon_7354dd516ev3rlon_7354dd516e Posts: 71
    edited December 1969

Well, I am am not a DAZ employee and do not have access to all the answers but -
    1. DAZ DIM does not handle plugins or software, so things like DAZ Studio, Animate, Cararra, and Bryce will not show up at all.

2. Not everything is in DAZ DIM yet, as a conversion is in progress. A lot of content, especially older stuff, is not converted yet. I think all new stuff coming out is DIM ready. At least everything I have ordered since it came out works, but I still find omissions as the team labors away at making the conversions.

3. You are logged in properly to your DAZ account in DIM (hate to say it, but it IS there)? Also, after long periods of inactivity, I have to re-enter my account stuff.

4. I have had some really good response from the DAZ team. I know they are dealing with a bit at this moment, but they have always gotten back with me and answered my questions, and I am normally satisfied with the answers they give by the time it is said and done (even if the answer is no). It may take a couple of days, but they have never just ignored me.

I hope something here helps. Could you list a couple to the items you have in your downloads that aren't in DIM? I am keeping a list at the moment, and we can see if there is overlap.

• edited December 1969

How do you sort by most recent update? I have thousands of products already installed, and I don't want to redownload them so that DM can determine when they are updated.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Sorry but DIM can only show updates for files that it has downloaded. I checks it's Database to see if newer files are available.

• edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Sorry but DIM can only show updates for files that it has downloaded. I checks it's Database to see if newer files are available.

Bummer. Do you need to keep the files around for it to compare, or does it have some sort of history store. So if I downloaded everything, then deleted it, would it know that I had already downloaded those files?

It would be nice, though, if either the itemized order history or the Install Manager could let you search or sort by update. DAZ isn't very good about letting you know when there are minor changes, and now they don't even update your downloadable content page.

• lbudlbud Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thanks, Verlon. Yeah, it's all Bryce stuff, so I guess I can't use DIM. But I can't download products anyway, due to the "cannot read source" error that everyone else is getting.

Just wait for Support, I guess. Still no action.

--Bud

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:

Bummer. Do you need to keep the files around for it to compare, or does it have some sort of history store. So if I downloaded everything, then deleted it, would it know that I had already downloaded those files?

It would be nice, though, if either the itemized order history or the Install Manager could let you search or sort by update. DAZ isn't very good about letting you know when there are minor changes, and now they don't even update your downloadable content page.YES you can DL then delete and it will then show you updates. I know it's a pain, and you can pick which versions you need by clicking the Gear in the upper right corner and only see updates for that version of DS ect...

• edited December 1969

OK, this is probably worth it then for me.
    Of course, I'll still need to figure out what was updated prior to my massive DSON buying spree.

edited December 1969

That would be a drawback. Not sure how to work around that. Have you checked the Thread in the commons?
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/3885/ it might not list everything but could help.

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,971
    edited December 1969

Been having a dabble with DIM and trying out the filtering via regex. Can't get it to accept a negative expression:

rx::.*( Ps)$

will list all things ending in Ps (as would a simple * Ps). What I was after was things that didn't. In theory:
    rx::.*^( Ps)$

should work, but it doesn't.
  • edited December 1969

Jaderail said:

Where is its database, in case I want to start over. (Or can I re-download and re-install stuff I've already installed with it.)

• Dr StupidDr Stupid Posts: 313
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Jaderail said:

It would be nice, though, if either the itemized order history or the Install Manager could let you search or sort by update. DAZ isn't very good about letting you know when there are minor changes, and now they don't even update your downloadable content page.

YES you can DL then delete and it will then show you updates. I know it's a pain, and you can pick which versions you need by clicking the Gear in the upper right corner and only see updates for that version of DS ect...

Really? I was hoping DIM would grab the necessary info from the dsx files, but it apparently needs the zips, and once I'd deleted those DIM no longer knew that I had downloaded them. So how will it know which files need updating? Confused (as I often am) :)

edited December 1969

I was Pretty sure I had the info correct but you can check this thread for all the info I have on DIM.
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/16104/

• Dr StupidDr Stupid Posts: 313
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    I was Pretty sure I had the info correct but you can check this thread for all the info I have on DIM.
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/16104/

Thanks for that. I'll plough through that thread at some stage. I was just noting what seemed to be happening (or not happening!) in my experience, which has only been through experimentation. I'm afraid I approached DIM as I do a lot of software in the man's way, i.e. the one whereby one doesn't R.T.F.M!!! (Although in Daz's case there rarely is a F.M. to R. in the first place!!) :D

• LindseyLindsey Posts: 1,985
    edited February 2013

Jaderail said:

Where is its database, in case I want to start over. (Or can I re-download and re-install stuff I've already installed with it.)

These are the conditions I've observed that moved a product through one of the three main DIM tabs. I haven't found any trace of a DIM database yet.

Ready to Download

1. DIM download folder: No product installer file
    2. C:\Users\Public\Documents\DAZ 3D\InstallManager\ManifestFiles: No product manifest file

Ready to Install

1. DIM download folder: Product installer file exists
    2. C:\Users\Public\Documents\DAZ 3D\InstallManager\ManifestFiles: No product manifest file

Installed

2. C:\Users\Public\Documents\DAZ 3D\InstallManager\ManifestFiles: Product manifest file exists

Post edited by Lindsey on
  • jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

I don't think there is a database, the info is in the manifest files.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,582
    edited December 1969

A couple of clarifications:

1) When you Install an item using DIM, it saves the manifest showing what was installed. After that, even if you delete the zips and/or the installed files, DIM can use the manifests to check for updates. So even if you install to a dummy location and then delete it, DIM can still check for updates.

2) If you download but don't install using DIM, it will only tell you about updates if you leave the zips and dsx's in the download folder.

3) You can use a regular expression and then invert the selection to get the negative expression.

edited December 1969

1) When you Install an item using DIM, it saves the manifest showing what was installed. After that, even if you delete the zips and/or the installed files, DIM can use the manifests to check for updates. So even if you install to a dummy location and then delete it, DIM can still check for updates.

2) If you download but don't install using DIM, it will only tell you about updates if you leave the zips and dsx's in the download folder.

3) You can use a regular expression and then invert the selection to get the negative expression.

Can you expand upon point 3 ... so far as I know the ^ is either a) begin of line anchor or b) negation indicator. Thus, if I use a regex like:
    .*( Ps)$ I am looking for any character, zero or more times (ok, not ANY character; any character not carriage return/line feed) from the dot asterisk, followed by a space (from the space!), followed by the characters "Ps" which will terminate the string.

If I invert all that I would get nothing as not many thing starts with just a carriage returm and/or linefeed (what aneaged . would imply). What I want is everything that does not end with Ps. So far as I am aware that should be done by negating the final part of the regex:
    .* ^(Ps)$, but that does not do as I expect. I admit I am not the best with regexes and multiple attempts left me a little frustrated. Added to which that starting the filter with name:: also does not seem to work, but remove the name:: and it does. The help pages stating that name was the default filter type finally suggested to be that not only is it default it is not wanted.

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited December 1969

Simon

By invert I think he meant reverse the selection in the DIM itself.

edited December 1969

Spit said:
    Simon

By invert I think he meant reverse the selection in the DIM itself.

Um ...? How does one do that, it's not an option I have seen.

edited December 1969

Right click in the file name area and 'invert selection'.

edited December 1969

Good grief! This is great. I don't think anybody has mentioned it.

In your 'Ready to install' column right click on a file and there's 'Installer files...' on the menu. Select that and there's a list of all the items in the file that will be installed!!

edited December 1969

Argh

I think I've run into a problem for me.

I've installed all Genesis and Studio stuff in the default 'My DAZ Library'. I have now completed the utter and total cleanup of My Library. I've accounted for every dot and tittle of what was installed and/or saved there (into 'data' as well) and installed/moved to My DAZ Library. It's down to totally empty (I'm saving the 'data' folder to an undisclosed location but I don't think I need it but justincase).

I want to uninstall all from My DAZ Library and install into My Library.

(I have to uninstall and reinstall anyway, might as well be to My Library. My poses folder disappeared. I think it happened during a drag n drop where a folder you drag over gets dropped somewhere---but I can't find it!!)

I can select all items installed into My DAZ Library and uninstall them. But then I have no way to distinguish them from the other 1340 'ready to install' items. :(

Is there a way? I don't see one.

So I either have to install everything currently 'ready to install' which are mostly items I already have in organized runtimes and would double the space which I happen to be low on at this time OR I have to delete all those items and redown them later. I guess I'll have to do that.

Unless someone has a better idea?

• rbtwhizrbtwhiz Posts: 2,238
    edited March 2013

SimonJM said:

Can you expand upon point 3 ... so far as I know the ^ is either a) begin of line anchor or b) negation indicator. Thus, if I use a regex like:
    .*( Ps)$ I am looking for any character, zero or more times (ok, not ANY character; any character not carriage return/line feed) from the dot asterisk, followed by a space (from the space!), followed by the characters "Ps" which will terminate the string.

If I invert all that I would get nothing as not many thing starts with just a carriage returm and/or linefeed (what aneaged . would imply). What I want is everything that does not end with Ps. So far as I am aware that should be done by negating the final part of the regex:
    .* ^(Ps)$, but that does not do as I expect. I admit I am not the best with regexes and multiple attempts left me a little frustrated. Added to which that starting the filter with name:: also does not seem to work, but remove the name:: and it does. The help pages stating that name was the default filter type finally suggested to be that not only is it default it is not wanted.

This is the default scope selector. It has no explicit keyword or character sequence. It is assumed if no other scope selector is declared...

Emphasis added. There is no "name" keyword, it is assumed unless another keyword is provided. Thus, it is the default.

.* ^(Ps)$

This does not mean what you think it does. What you are trying to do looks more like this:

rx::^(?!.*\sPs\s?).+$

- Using regular expression...
    - From the beginning of the line,
    - Use negative look-ahead assertion for:
    - Any character, zero or more times,
    - Followed by whitespace,
    - Followed by an uppercase P,
    - Followed by a lowercase s,
    - Optionally followed by whitespace,
    - Any character, one or more times,
    - To the end of the line

rx::^(?=.*\sPs\s?).+$

Exchange the negative look-ahead (?!) for a positive look-ahead (?=) and get the exact opposite result.
    Post edited by rbtwhiz on
  • rbtwhizrbtwhiz Posts: 2,238
    edited December 1969

Spit said:

In your 'Ready to install' column right click on a file and there's 'Installer files...' on the menu. Select that and there's a list of all the items in the file that will be installed!!

Do the same on the Installed page and see a list of the files that were installed, as links that you can click on and be taken to.

• HeraHera Posts: 1,955
    edited December 1969

Hello

4 questions regarding this thing:

1. Every time I install something new it creates a new directory at C called C:\Users\Public\Documents\My DAZ 3D Library where it stuff all the things. And from there I have to move it to my DAZ directories at my H disk. Now, how do I customize so the the installment always go to the H disk instead?

2. What happened to the readme-files, I can't find them anywhere after installment

3. Ditto with the zip files

4. I've installed some updates of products I've already got. Now where do these end up??? I have been unable to find them as well

edited December 1969

rbtwhiz said:
    rx::^(?!.*\sPs\s?).+$

- Using regular expression...
    - From the beginning of the line,
    - Use negative look-ahead assertion for:
    - Any character, zero or more times,
    - Followed by whitespace,
    - Followed by an uppercase P,
    - Followed by a lowercase s,
    - Optionally followed by whitespace,
    - Any character, one or more times,
    - To the end of the line

rx::^(?=.*\sPs\s?).+$

Exchange the negative look-ahead (?!) for a positive look-ahead (?=) and get the exact opposite result.

Thanks - I will give those a whirl
  • JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Herakleia said:
    Hello

4 questions regarding this thing:

1. Every time I install something new it creates a new directory at C called C:\Users\Public\Documents\My DAZ 3D Library where it stuff all the things. And from there I have to move it to my DAZ directories at my H disk. Now, how do I customize so the the installment always go to the H disk instead?

2. What happened to the readme-files, I can't find them anywhere after installment

3. Ditto with the zip files

4. I've installed some updates of products I've already got. Now where do these end up??? I have been unable to find them as well

1. Go to the second tab in the DIM, 'Ready to Install' , and click on the bar ladelled Shortcut, then Add a Location. there is also a Help file available for the DIM from the link at the top of the interface.

2. Readme files are no longer included in the downloads. You can click on the 'i' (Information) symbol in the Ready to Inastall or nstalled tabs to see the Readme file.

3. The ZIP files that DIM uses are stored by default in C:\Users\Public\Documents\DAZ 3D\InstallManager\Downloads.

4. The updates that you install through the DIM will be installed to the same place as the originals were installed to. I don;t know what you mean by 'unable to find them', the files are somply updated, and you may not notice any difference. Perhaps a texture file has been fixed, or the path in a DUF file for example. What do you think you should see in an updtaed file?

The DIM ONLY knows about files that it has installed. If you have installed files using the DIM, then it will inform you of any updates for these files. If you installed the files manually, the DIM will not know about them at all.

Does that help any?

• wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 2,340
    edited December 1969

rbtwhiz said:
    Spit said:

Do the same on the Installed page and see a list of the files that were installed, as links that you can click on and be taken to.

Wow... just... wow. That is so helpful, thanks!

-- Walt Sterdan

• HeraHera Posts: 1,955
    edited March 2013

[

1. Go to the second tab in the DIM, 'Ready to Install' , and click on the bar ladelled Shortcut, then Add a Location. there is also a Help file available for the DIM from the link at the top of the interface.

No such bar... But I found it in 'Install to where' which was a bit crypric to use. Hope it works now

2. Readme files are no longer included in the downloads. You can click on the 'i' (Information) symbol in the Ready to Inastall or nstalled tabs to see the Readme file.

Huh - why are the readme's removed. Doesn't make much sense, but I'll try that and see if it works.

3. The ZIP files that DIM uses are stored by default in C:\Users\Public\Documents\DAZ 3D\InstallManager\Downloads.

OK Thanks!

4. The updates that you install through the DIM will be installed to the same place as the originals were installed to.
    That's what I wanted to know, thanks

Another question, what does the Smart column means in Installed

Post edited by Hera on