Adding 2-D image crashes Bryce

edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

Hello all, I am attempting to add a 2-D image to my scene (instead of masking it later for lighting reasons), but when I go to add it, Bryce comes up with about 4 error messages that all talk about an Exception_Access_Violation, the different messages just have different stack traces. I am using Bryce 7.1 on 64 bit Windows 8, with a Radeon 5770 graphics card (not sure if the card is relevant, but I figured I'd say it anyway). I have successfully added 2-D pictures before, but it just doesn't seem to working any more. On a rare occasion it will let me add the image, but it crashes more often than not.

I hope someone can help me!
Thanks!

Comments

• Francis TaylorFrancis Taylor Posts: 84
    edited December 1969

Have you considered the file size of the 2d images you are importing? Also, try to keep the optimized file size low while trying to maintian desired picture quality. Another thing, make sure that your Bryce 7.1 is running out of your X86 Program folder. I say this because Bryce hasn't been upgraded to work on 64 bit operating systems yet. You might have more stability using windows 7. I have never encountered such headaches & importing 2d imagery is a HUGE part of how i personally accomplish some of my better special effects in Bryce.
    Don't worry we'll get to the bottom of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oz44MsNJ6lc
    This Animation was created entirely in Bryce with no postwork. When i first released this short many were skeptics about how i actually pulled some of the lense flares & explosions. The truth is. Many of the components that make up the more "Fantastic" (& i use the term loosley) special effects are actually hand painted 2d pngs. this includes the lense flares the "dirty camera lense" & the pyrotechnics.

• edited December 1969

Thank you for your quick reply! The file size is 1.5 mb for the main image and about 400 kb for the mask, so I doubt that is the problem. After fiddling a bit more with it, I figured out that the crash is not actually caused by the import, but when I try to go to the camera view after adding a 2-D image to the scene.

I will continue messing with it, and maybe I can figure something out

Thanks again!

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited February 2013

baquwa said:
    Hello all, I am attempting to add a 2-D image to my scene (instead of masking it later for lighting reasons), but when I go to add it, Bryce comes up with about 4 error messages that all talk about an Exception_Access_Violation, the different messages just have different stack traces. I am using Bryce 7.1 on 64 bit Windows 8, with a Radeon 5770 graphics card (not sure if the card is relevant, but I figured I'd say it anyway). I have successfully added 2-D pictures before, but it just doesn't seem to working any more. On a rare occasion it will let me add the image, but it crashes more often than not.

I hope someone can help me!
    Thanks!

I would be more than a bit suspicious of Window 8. That being said make sure you are running the most up to date version of Bryce. Here's how to check.

Bryce 7.1 Pro - Help, About Bryce - a short video by David Brinnen

Edit. 7.1.0.109

Post edited by David Brinnen on
  • edited February 2013

Definitely not an up to date bryce problem [Bryce_7.1.0.109_Win32] as I just imported a 5 mb bmp to test if file size affected it, on windows 7 64 bit os

@David: This is Paul [chatting with you in Youtube]

Post edited by cheater2001_061d500d4d on