Perhaps it's just me, but do I need to start anew, again?

EeyoreEeyore Posts: 30

I'm not the most proficient with PCs anymore, but after having difficulty in installing and finding my downloads, or only having half my new content install and/or not work; both from Daz and elsewhere, I decided to wipe everything out and reinstall everything from Daz via the Install manager. Well, it went quicker than I expected, but none of my content loaded into Daz Studio in any of the locations it had been previously. Before, most of my installed content was somewhat organized(boxes,folders, files, figures, characters, props, scenes,...); now I can only find most of it when I look for it under "products" and much of it is now showing without icons when I click on them -- and this totally sticks -- and I have multiple listings titled: "My Library," and "Downloads". This is what I feared having happen and why I was reluctant to do this before when I first had some issues.

My question is, without much knowledge with trying to reorganize this to something which resembles how it used to be, is there hope for someone without much proficiency to do this, or will I now have to wipe this all out and start all over again and reload it manually as you would before having the "installer?"

I fear having to spend days on end of downloading and installing content over and over.... is there hope?

I appreciate any help.... Is there any easy fix?

Comments

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

but none of my content loaded into Daz Studio in any of the locations it had been previously.

The install manager put everything in Public Documents\My DAZ 3D Library I suspect. Go into studio and add that via edit (at the top left) then preferences. There you need to go to the content library tab. At the bottom click on Content Directory Manager and then select DAZ studio formats. Click new and go to the public documents\My DAZ 3D Library and select it to add it.

• EeyoreEeyore Posts: 30
    edited December 1969

Thanks Khory, I checked this, and it appears to have been listed as one of the files to use, still nothing. The other problem I have noticed too is that much of the additional Daz morphs and those which apply to the Daz content that I have purchased. like hair movements (poses) are also missing or not showing too.
    I have also noticed that many of the items which are listed for V4 don't show the icons or are accessible, and others, if I try to manually relocate them, disappear. Can not going to the individual programs and not downloading any of the zip. and texture files which might have originally required installation be creating some of the issues? What else could it be.... Anyone?

Any thoughts what is going on?

I fear having to go back to wiping it all out and manually reloading 500 or more files all over again; but I'm thinking it's going to come to this.

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited March 2013

More information needed I'm afraid.

You say you used the DIM to install to the default location - C:\Users\Public\Documents\My DAZ 3D Library
    You have now added that location in Edit > Preferences > Content Library > Content Dorectory Manager for BOTH DAZ Studio Formats AND Poser Formats, this is important. The path MUST be added to both DAZ and Poser formats, since V4 is in Poser format, but also has some DS files as well.

Do you still have content in the old default My Library folder, if so, that could be a part of your problem? You should not have both folders unless you have different content in each folder. There is nothing to prevent you from having more that one folder (I have), but before installing anything with the DIM, you should have uninstalled the previous content, or moved the My Library folder to another location (in case you may need it again)

In the Content Directory Manager, take out the reference to 'My Library' from both DS andf Poser Formats, and make sure the new folder 'My DAZ 3D Library' is listed as both Poser and DS content, that should help.

Post edited by JimmyC_2009 on
  • MarcCCTxMarcCCTx Posts: 912
    edited March 2013

I use multiple runtimes (on E: drive); You can either create the runtimes from within Install manager or from the desktop.

You can either download and install in one step, which I did for recognizable groups (all V4s, all Genesi, past, present, future, etc.) or just download and install the individual packages buy selecting one of the runtimes and clicking install (which I did for the last hundred or so packages, which I had to decide runtimes for).

Make a mistake? Just uninstall and reinstall to a different runtime in just a few seconds. Important note: don't automatically toss the installers (an option) if you think this is going to happen!

My library of 2500+ items took around 170 gigs, so make sure you have room.

Thank you very much DAZ.

(Note not everything is available in the Install Manager yet, but they are working on it quite fast. They're back to 2005 or so)

Edit: also there in an info button for each item, but not all of the items are in the DAZwiki yet.

Post edited by MarcCCTx on
    edited December 1969

I looked at all of you suggestions, and much of it was set-up properly or I changed and tried it all again, but it's not changed anything.

I uninstalled as many of the files I had or could find; a few remained in often rarely touched folders, and not in any of the files I used for 99% of the content I previously had. I tried to reinstall as much as possible and start as fresh as I could. I did forget that which had been in my download folder, which it did list in the DIM list; but I also went and removed them from the lists to hope to avoid some confusion, if it would create any; this too rendered no help.

The problem is that not only is most V4 content appearing to present possible issues, but even the Genesis content I checked is incomplete. For example, one of the hair props I frequently use has morphs and movement adjustments. Morphs show up, but none of the movements will even illustrate as does many of the additional character morphs I had. Example, though I have V4/V5/V5 Supermodel icons, in the "actor" category under posing, there are no morphs showing up, nor any other character, just "basic female."

I'm just frustrated with this.... Hate to start all over again but I even tried doing a copy/paste to organize some of my items and while you can move things around, it's useless if nothing works as it had and half the content is still missing. Any other ideas before I start all over again?

edited December 1969

If this helps add a little more input to what might be happening, I checked my log and here is an example of what is listed:

WARNING: fileinput\dzassetdaz.cpp(4957): Could not find target property for formula: Genesis:/data/DAZ 3D/Genesis/Base/Morphs/DAZ 3D/Evolution/PHMSurprise.dsf#PHMSurprise?value in file : /data/DAZ 3D/Genesis/Base/Morphs/DAZ 3D/Victoria 5/MCMV5Surprise.dsf

Here is what shows up just opening the program and not trying to install any additional content:

WARNING: QLayout: Attempting to add QLayout "" to QWidget "", which already has a layout
    WARNING: QLayout: Attempting to add QLayout "" to QWidget "", which already has a layout
    Could not activate DAZ Decimator evaluation. Plug-in disabled.
    Total class factories: 1206
    WARNING: 3DConnexion Plug-in Error: Could not create Device, CoCreateInstance failed

Is this relevant to anyone? Might this explain any of what is happening?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,582
    edited December 1969

Can you go to Edit>Preferences>Content Library>Content Directory Manager, expand the "DS formats" and "Poser formats" sections, and post a screenshot?

edited December 1969

Here's what I have. Some of these were duplicated, triplicated and I removed them, made no change in what I was having issues with; but this is what I have now. Thanks.

screen_shot_030213.png
    699 x 538 - 51K
    edited December 1969

**UPDATE**

Okay, I have made some progress..... After looking over some of the posts here for other peoples' problems, I decided to check the folders being accessed and realized that several times it has been mentioned that DIM downloads and installs into a "public" file... I found this and added it to the DM for both Daz and Poser and much of the missing movement and character adjustments and morphs has shown up too. I'm still not seeing many of the icon images for mostly Poser content; anyone have an idea why?

Thank for the help too....

edited December 1969

Make sure you remove the nested folder under Poser formats, the one that stops at Documents, and if there's a Runtime folder there move it to one of the other locations.

For the Poser items giving you trouble, are you not seeing them at all, or are you seeing them with the generic DAZ icon, or are you seeing them with a yellow triangle and exclamation point?

edited December 1969

I'm seeing these items with the generic Daz Icon and the yellow triangle (!).

edited December 1969

Okay, that means they aren't where the database thinks they are. Are these icons left over from before you corrected your content folders?

edited December 1969

Well, it's good to know that it should work. I dabbled a bit last night, but not with much of the content which is not illustrating the icon properly. It's good to know that it should work though.

Thanks everyone for the help. Now to reload some of my off-site content that is still waiting, and then find out why a few of the other programs still have glitches....

Thanks again!