Genesis morphs via Hexagon - Help Needed

xjadexxxxjadexxx Posts: 43
edited December 1969 in Technical Help (nuts n bolts)

I have a question on how to isolate the morphs to Genesis made in Hexagon from the overall Genesis morph.

If I take a Genesis character over to Hexagon and make a morph, when it is sent back to DAZ Studio, the more not only includes my change, but the entire character morph plus my change. So, if I send Vicki in to Hexagon for a nose job, the morph comes back DAZ Studio as Vicki+Nose Job, and since the Genesis model is already Vicki, those shape morphs get doubled, and she gets distorted, as well as having a nice nose.

If I make the nose morph based on the foundation Genesis shape, all is well, but there are some morphs that need to be done to a particular character.

As there are many products that have isolated morphs that can apply to any character, I presume it is possible to isolate a morph.

So my question is, is there a way to move a morph from Hexagon to DAZ Studio using a character preset, such as Michael or Vicki, without the morph including the whole character morph in addition to the Hexagon changes?

Any recommendations are greatly appreciate.

Thank you

Comments

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited March 2013

I am sure there is a workflow to address what you are talking about. I haven't 100% figured it out yet, but I think you will need to send a stock figure over, morph it temporarily into the shape you want to edit, then morph the nose, dial out the temporary shape morph (which in theory could leave the nose changes in tact) then export back to Daz studio.

Basically when you want to change just the nose, then that is all that should be altered in the morph you send back to daz studio.

I also haven't tried it, but maybe you could dial out the shape in DS. So say you have genesis, and apply character Lars. Send to hexagon and give lars a bigger nose. Send Back to Daz Studio. In DS dial out the Lars Shape. You will now have lars with big nose. You can save this as a new shape. And then maybe you could even dial out Lars one more time, and have just the nose. Haven't tried that though...

Post edited by larsmidnatt on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,474
    edited December 1969

You need to use Morph Loader pro, or enable the advanced options for the Hexagon bridge in Edit>Preferences>Interface, and check Reverse deformations when you import your morph/go back to DS.

edited December 1969

You need to use Morph Loader pro, or enable the advanced options for the Hexagon bridge in Edit>Preferences>Interface, and check Reverse deformations when you import your morph/go back to DS.

figures there would be an easier way. I'll have to try this when I get home.

• xjadexxxxjadexxx Posts: 43
    edited December 1969

Thank you for your exellent recommendations! I am off to try them now :)

edited December 1969

xjadexxx said:
    Thank you for your exellent recommendations! I am off to try them now :)

Be sure to start with Richards LOL

edited December 1969

I went into DAZ Studio and enabled the advanced options for the Hexagon bridge in Edit>Preferences>Interface. However, I cannot the option for Reverse deformations when importing the morph/going back to DS.

When I send the model to Hexagon, there are not options offered. When I send it from Hexagon back to DAZ Studio, I get the Morph Loader Pro window, but the only option it offers is a drop down for "Create Morph", "Create Prop", etc.

Can you please elaborate for the slow student?

Thank you!

edited December 1969

Slight pause as I had to install hexagon. When you get to the Morph Loader screen on returning to DS, with the Create Morph option selected at the top, the lower panel will have a cube icon with a triangle next to it; click the triangle to expand the options, then right-click on the No next to Reverse Deformations and pick Yes from the menu.

edited December 1969

I bow before your glory! Thank you for taking the time to load the software, and for your guidance. Worked PERFECTLY!!!

• 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,471
    edited December 1969

Richard, does this same process work for any figure? I have an OBJ, converted to figure, fits to Genesis...but now I want to add some morphs to it.

Can I set this, bring into Hex, modify, then go back and that morph will be in the figure?

Is there a last step of re-saving the figure?

edited December 1969

Yes, the basic steps should work for a conformer too. You need to save your morphs as assets - File>Save as>Support Asset>Morph Asset - though you can of course save the scene file too, and should if it's a scene you are working on.

edited April 2013

Thanks for the follow-up!

While I was waiting, I started to just modify the OBJ in Hexagon without the bridge, and import as morphs via Morph Loader Pro. Then I save the Figure out using the File>Save as>Support Asset>Figure/Prop Asset. Seems to work.

Post edited by 3dOutlaw on
    edited December 1969

You don't want to save as a Figure asset if all you've done is add a morph - that needlessly duplicates all the other parts of the item, and may break some addons (and will certainly not benefit from any future updates to the item).

edited December 1969

Well, its a modified freebie OBJ, that I added a morph to. Then I add another morph, and re-save the same figure. Since its not commercial,is there any risk of breaking anything.

When I add the morph, does it auto-save that figure (i.e. if I load it without re-saving, it will be in there?)

• scal.64.psscal.64.ps Posts: 140
    edited December 1969

i used to avoid the problem by reseting my character back to the neutral genesis shape before using the bridge but results weren't as good as they are now

thanks Richard, this is really useful hint

edited December 1969

3doutlaw said:
    Well, its a modified freebie OBJ, that I added a morph to. Then I add another morph, and re-save the same figure. Since its not commercial,is there any risk of breaking anything.

When I add the morph, does it auto-save that figure (i.e. if I load it without re-saving, it will be in there?)

If it's a TriAx figure (which it needs to be for the asset stuff to work, I should have noted that) then saving a Morph Asset will cause that morph to be loaded with the figure when you bring it into a scene, or open a saved scene.