Creating Velma [WIP]

BlackFeather1973BlackFeather1973 Posts: 739
edited December 1969 in Art Studio

A bit reluctant to post in the Art Studio (feels like leaving the comfort of the New Users forum and having to play with the big boys now :)), but heck, why not.
I've started to create my own character and wanted to share my progress here and get some feedback.
I got the idea for this character when i was playing with Thorne's morph kits. She doesn't have a name yet but i call her Velma for the time being.
Spent most the day working on her, and i think i got the basic shape now for both the head and the body. She still needs quite some tweaking and refining, but i'm trying to get the overall shapes in before i start looking at details.

To be continued...

Character1b.jpg
800 x 800 - 456K
Character1a.jpg
1200 x 675 - 447K

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

She is looking good so far, a very natural looking body shape.

• BlackFeather1973BlackFeather1973 Posts: 739
    edited December 1969

Thank you, chohole.

Forgot to mention, the texture is from Addison. I'm also gonna try to make my own when she's ready.

edited December 1969

I felt the head and body were on a different level of realism. Made some adjustments to the eyes, cheecks and mouth. Not too much at once, don't want to loose the character.

headprogress.jpg
    1000 x 500 - 166K
    edited December 1969

Did some adjustments and mesh cleanup on the chest area, in Hexagon and Zbrush.

velmachestadjustments.jpg
    800 x 533 - 69K
  • Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,340
    edited December 1969

Looking good! I think you were exactly right about the original head and body being different levels of realism, and I think your changes, though subtle, have definitely helped make the face seem more realistic. Nice work so far! I'll be watching to see where this goes... :-)

edited March 2013

Thanks for chiming in, Scott.
    I'm trying to stick with the basics i learned in drawing and sculpting. Block in the rough shape, refine bit by bit, don't focus on just one area and maybe most important, don't overwork it. We all have our own approaches, but that seems to work for me (or better said, not sticking to it doesn't work for me :)).
    I always used to overdo my drawings, till i read this piece of wisdom somewhere : "When is a drawing finished ? Five minutes before you mess it up". So yeah, i'm sticking to subtle changes and then taking a step back :lol:

Post edited by BlackFeather1973 on
    edited December 1969

Been neglecting my girl here for the past week. Luckily she understands that Spheric Labs is to blame for this and not me... :lol:
    She even agreed to get her picture taken in Lux, if i promised to continue working on her tomorrow.

To do list :
    - fix the area between the cheeks and the lips
    - maybe enlarge the head a tad bit ?
    - make a morph for her hands and feet (using Evolution morphs for that atm)
    - come up with a decent name !

VelmaDanceStudio.jpg
    618 x 800 - 464K