Exporting objects from Bryce 7.1 Pro

ElowanElowan Posts: 388
edited March 2013 in Bryce Discussion

I recently re-installed 7.1 Pro ran it and entered the required SN listed in my account info.

I loaded an obp file and then tried to export the resulting item as an obj file. Nada.

Saved the obp file as a BR7 file reloaded and tried again - nada.

EXPORT option does NOT show up in the file menu on either attempt.

Any help appreciated.

Thnx

Post edited by Elowan on

Comments

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Elowan said:
    I recently re-installed 7.1 Pro ran it and entered the required SN listed in my account info.

I loaded an obp file and then tried to export the resulting item as an obj file. Nada.

Saved the obp file as a BR7 file reloaded and tried again - nada.

EXPORT option does NOT show up in the menu on either attempt.

Any clues?

Thnx

If the object you are trying to export is not a mesh or a terrain, then it will have to be converted to a mesh before the control becomes available. Bryce primitives, for example, cannot be directly exported, conversion is required. So I suppose that might be the problem?

• ElowanElowan Posts: 388
    edited March 2013

I'm not a regular Bryce user (I'm a Lightwave-a-holic) - so how does one convert such a file to a mesh (without making a mess)?

Maybe dissecting the displayed object into individual pieces?

Update: I dismantled the entire item and choosing the bits displayed the EXPORT option. I assume that is - perhaps - what you meant by 'meshes'?

Post edited by Elowan on
    edited December 1969

How involved this gets very much depends on what you are trying to export. For a start you can't just convert the file, you will have to load your objects into Bryce and see if they can be converted. I think at this point you'd better show us what you are dealing with and explain what your plans are for them.

For example, in this video. Using the Ivy Generator - a tutorial by David Brinnen

I do a very simple conversion from Bryce primitives to mesh objects to export in obj format for the ivy generator. This is fine because, I don't need any materials off the objects I'm exporting. Things might have got a bit sticky if I did.

• ElowanElowan Posts: 388
    edited December 1969

Was able to export after dismantling the object in Bryce.

I appreciate that video and will keep it in mind for the future. Many thanx for your help. Stay well.

edited December 1969

Elowan said:
    Was able to export after dismantling the object in Bryce.

I appreciate that video and will keep it in mind for the future. Many thanx for your help. Stay well.

I am glad it helped, I will try and formulate a video to cover this topic. It is one that interests me but not something I have yet investigated deeply.

• TapiocaTundraTapiocaTundra Posts: 268
    edited December 1969

Aha, now then, I always considered the wireframe resolution to be purely for the benefit of the graphics display, it never occurred to think it made a difference on export, always another discovery. thanks for that tutorial David.

edited December 1969

Aha, now then, I always considered the wireframe resolution to be purely for the benefit of the graphics display, it never occurred to think it made a difference on export, always another discovery. thanks for that tutorial David.

I'll do some more on this topic as and when I can grab the time, got a busy week lined up already - but the weather may scotch my plans yet. This is me today, sharpening my little chain saw - see all that white stuff? Brrrr........

Image1.jpg
    720 x 572 - 150K
  • TapiocaTundraTapiocaTundra Posts: 268
    edited December 1969

A man, in the snow, with a chainsaw ,at the back door, on the security camera, reminds me of a film with Jack Nicholson, I wont do the "honey I'm home line",

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,539
    edited December 1969

Looks cold. Spring is hesitantly coming on hereabouts.

edited December 1969

A man, in the snow, with a chainsaw ,at the back door, on the security camera, reminds me of a film with Jack Nicholson, I wont do the "honey I'm home line",

I have axes too... obviously. But I've not yet descended into psychosis. Yet...

Horo, yes bitterly cold, the deadly roads are deadlier than ever today - kinda glad I'm not on them after all.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited March 2013

WE have snow and bitterly cold temps over this side of the UK as well, Not quite so much snow as you where we are, but I think that is mainly because of the wind, it is blowing it all down the hill, so they are collecting it at the bottom. :coolsmirk:

Wind is bitter though, gusting up to about 40 mph or more, and from the northe east. The bridges into Wales are closed to High sided vehicles, cos of the wind. Trees down across some roads.

Post edited by Chohole on