Install Manager Mayhem

Daniel A RobertsDaniel A Roberts Posts: 20
edited December 1969 in Technical Help (nuts n bolts)

OK... here's the story.

I used the March Madness sale to bolster my content. Lots. So I decided now was a good idea to download and use the Install Manager.

First thing I noticed was how fast and quick it was. That was the only upside of my day. Upon opening DAZ 4.5 (Current Version, as in the most recent build available) I -didn't- get the metadata list, as I never selected the do-not-show-again option. When I install new content, it shows me the meta data list, and I OK that. It's in my blood to see new products go in smoothly, you know?

I figured the content manager database and the install manager has a glorious relationship, so I didn't let it bug me so much....

Almost all of my Daz content was duplicated. I double checked the install directory, and the first mystery was revealed. The Install manager does not use the default directory. Fine, I informed my half stressed reflection in the mirror, I'll deal with seeing double until it comes time for a fresh reinstall of windows in the future. (I reinstall Windows every 1.5 years to keep it smooth and free of registry-pox)

So there was Gabi, from the V5 Pro Suite I purchased today. I wanted to load her up and do some experimenting, when I got the first evil set of messages. Couldn't find Gabi Limbs. No Gabi textures. It did load a Genesis made of pure white, in the vague form of a terrified Gabi. At least her head was Gabi shaped, but her eyes were also milk white.

I used the Install manager to uninstall, then reinstall Gabi. She was still scared white. So I unistalled, deleted the install file, and redownloaded through the IM. The problem remained. So I looked at my selections again, and of course, was setill seeing double everything, except for my new additions from today's purchase. So I figured I could wipe the install of Daz, put everything on clean, including my database of 12.5GB stuff, where a portion was sitting in another directory, making duplicates. It stood to reason that doing everything fresh, using the IM to put on my older and new files, and everything from Renderosity, Share CG and my Plug-Ins could be redone so there would be no more errors.

I've reinstalled Daz fresh before with high success. Of course, it kills my saved projects, but I didn't mind rebuilding them, as I was going to re-do the actors anyway with the new figures.

After unistalling and then deleting the file folders so everything is rebuilt fresh, the first thing I reinstalled was Daz 4.5 and something new came up. It couldn't load genesis.duf because it didn't exist. That made no sense, because I reinstalled it fresh, including the content management database. Even though I downloaded the current 4.5 when it was made available back in January, I went ahead, uninstalled it, and then reset my 4.5 download just a few hours ago. Reinstalling it fresh again, the same problem occurs.

Thinking it may have something to do with the content like "Genesis Essentials", I went ahead and installed that. None of the figures would pull up, because Mr. Genesis dot Duf was still AWOL.

In an effort to solve this, the only difference was the IM was still installed. So I wiped everything yet again, inclusing the IM software. That is using the uninstall features, and then the deleting of the file directory, and then using the downloaded program installer to reinstall it again. Only this time, I didn't install the IM program. I only reinstalled Daz 4.5 and the genesis.duf file is still AWOL. The installation was so fresh, that I had to re-input the seriel number for the 4.5 Pro sweet and it had the generic looking work space.

At this point, I'm at a loss. Where did the genesis.duf file run off too, and why did the Install Manager start this whole mess by scaring Gabi pure white? Is there something that needs to be done that I'm missing, because when I did a search for "Install manager" and "Gabi" independently, I got a list of completely unrelated posts.

Thanks for any help here, I think once I get the .duf file back...however it's supposed to be done... the rest should go smooth.

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,582
    edited December 1969

Install Manager and DS4 use different default content locations, as you've noticed. Either change the install location in Install Manager, or change the content folder in DS4. In DS4 you need to put the new location as BOTH "DS-Format" and "Poser-Format" -- the textures are in the Poser-format Runtime.

• Daniel A RobertsDaniel A Roberts Posts: 20
    edited December 1969

Got it working. The locations were already listed in the Content DB for both formats, but the .duf file was removed from the default location before the new default could be listed and recognized. Once I pointed to the new .duf location, the errors vanished. Gabi is no longer terrified into a milk-like complexion.

Plus, the IM will not let me change the default location back to the original default. It will allow me to add a 'new' location for the install, and if I was to choose the old default, the .duf file won't be there, so I'll leave that alone. It's working, that's all I need for now.

I wish they would stick with a default location and keep it. It might prevent future headaches. ^_^

Thanks for your help.

• scotchfairyscotchfairy Posts: 54
    edited December 1969

Huh. I'm not feeling so bad now about my experience with the Install Manager. I managed to beat the Mac version (during the second rip-out-reinstall cycle) into allowing me to use a download directory that made sense instead of the whacked spot it wanted to use for my libraries. And as I noted in my previous post, was one of three different choices I had depending on what docs I read. NOT good dB practice.

To force the DIM to let you use your preferred directory:
    - Click the "+" (plus) button at the bottom left.
    - Click the "..." shortcut button to the right of the new blank entry
    - Type in your "new" download dB root directory.
    - Click on the original path that will still be still be showing above the new path you just entered
    - Click the "-" (minus) button to REMOVE the path.

You should now have only one download dB root directory. (took me two tries to do it correctly)