great free backup tool for windows on technet.microsoft

StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167

'm managing a remote backup of my runtime with RichCopy which is a pretty impressive freeware tool from Microsoft Technet
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/2009.04.utilityspotlight.aspx
It's got some updates over Robocopy if anyone's ever used that. There a simple GUI and it's got some real power under the hood so I don't need to open up a command prompt as admin and learn a lot of crazy /? /q /4 /happyface
If anyone is looking to backup their runtime or any data you should check this one out, it's very quick and a million times less cumbersome than windows drag and pray.

Mac users I have nothing for you in a copier with a small footprint that works. I've been trying to drag 70GB of music over to a MacPro over FW800 and it took an hour for the OS to respond that something happened. gotta be a better tool than OS X Small Mountain Cat

Post edited by StratDragon on

Comments

• Hiro ProtagonistHiro Protagonist Posts: 699
    edited December 1969

I've been using this for some time over my work network and it really flies—it's actually fun to watch it work (but if it's a small copy job, don't blink). I have a batch file (which it will generate for you via its GUI) running as a scheduled task and I can pretty much forget about it. Best and fastest backup/copy utility I have found and I've looked at plenty. For one off copy jobs I use Teracopy, though, which takes over the appallingly poor default Windows drag and drop/copy and paste.

• Tempest!Tempest! Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the tip! I've used Robocopy, for backups but as you said it's bit of a pain to use the command line or to create batch files for the process.

• prixatprixat Posts: 1,588
    edited December 1969

The 2009 date would worry me!

I've also been looking around for something like this. Which led me to Toucan: http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/toucan

I'm really liking the 'mirror' function.

Its only been installed a short time but seems to have extensive scriptablity, though I haven't used that feature yet.

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited December 1969

prixat said:
    The 2009 date would worry me!

I've also been looking around for something like this. Which led me to Toucan: http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/toucan

I'm really liking the 'mirror' function.

Its only been installed a short time but seems to have extensive scriptablity, though I haven't used that feature yet.

the date shouldn't scare you off, the application is built on existing windows framework that is available from a Command Line, but it does not get encumbered by the Windows GUI slowing it down.The other selling point (it's freeware) is that Josh Hoffman is a programmer at MS, he's also the editor and chief of techweb,.

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

It is super duper, thanks Strat.

I did a backup of a folder which used to take me well over two hours to do in Win 7, and it completed in less thatn twenty minutes wih RichCopy64.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

... so I don't need to open up a command prompt as admin and learn a lot of crazy /? /q /4 /happyface ...

Thank you for the link - and for the smile your /happyface brought to my face. :)