Exporting Animations and Poses to 3DS Max

michael_reutermichael_reuter Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Technical Help (nuts n bolts)

I'm trying to export some Victoria5 poses and animations using the fbx-exporter from DAZ Studio 4.5.

Model, bones and skinning including the animation data are exported quite fine. What I can't figure out is the way DAZ Studio does manage the joint deformations. Apparently there's some kind of morph or deformation used to correct the simple bone deformation.
But I can't find any place where such an additional deformation would be connected to the bones animation and I can't figure out how I would have to export to the fbx format to include this extra deformations.

In consequence the deformation of the mesh in 3DS Max is not right, because the additional morph (or whatever) is missing.

I attached an image showing the arm of Victoria5 in "Female Leaning 01" pose. The upper image shows the initial bone deformation. This is exactly what I get in 3DS Max. The lower image shows the adjusted deformation of the arm.

As far as I can see there are no sub-components or controllers assigned to the lower arms twist controller. Can anybody please explain me how this is handled in this case?

Thanks to everybody and best regards
M.

joint-morphs.jpg
1024 x 1280 - 201K

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,473
    edited December 1969

DAZ Studio uses a separate weight map for each axis, 3DS doesn't (or if it does, FBX doesn't support multiple maps to get the data there). You can see the same in DS by converting Genesis to Generic weight mapping through Edit>Figure>Rigging>Convert TriAx Weights to General Weights.

• michael_reutermichael_reuter Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Ah, ok. I see. Too bad, but 3DS Max does indeed not support 3axis weights. That makes things a bit difficult.

I thought, that it's something different because of the change, that happens, when you scrub through an animation. While scrubbing the general weight result is displayed and the 3axis weights are only applied when you release the mouse button.

Thanks for the explanation!

M.