Issue with Object preset library

sjHarringtonsjHarrington Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

This problem is a bit complicated, so I apologize in advance for the lengthy description:

I have been using Bryce from several years, starting with Bryce 5. I've added a lot of objects and materials to the preset folders over that time. Whenever I get a new version of Bryce, or a new computer, I have always just copied my object and material libraries from the preset folder in the old version/installation of Bryce and pasted them to the preset folder of the new version/installation of Bryce. This has always worked without a problem.

Recently I got a new computer with Windows 7, and I installed Bryce 7 and copied my old Bryce 6.1 preset folders to the new Bryce 7 preset folders, and everything worked fine.

However, even though I have added new objects to the preset library since then, when I tried to copy my object preset folder and paste it to a copy of Bryce 7 on another computer, the new items don't show up. The old items from my Bryce 6.1presets show up, but the new ones added in Bryce 7 do not.

I've even compared the file sizes, and the size of the .obp files in the Bryce 7 presets is exactly the same as in my old Bryce 6.1 presets.

To be clear, the new items I've added in Bryce 7 work perfectly in Bryce 7 on the copy where they were first added, but somehow they aren't being added to the .obp files in the preset folder, and I can't make a backup copy or transfer them to another computer.

Does anyone know where I can find the files for the new objects, or what I can do to fix this?

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and I appreciate the help.

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,583
    edited December 1969

Do you have Bryce installed in Program Files? Win7 doesn't like programs writing back to the Program Files hierarchy and shunts them off to a virtual store. Install Bryce outside of Program Files and it should work fine.

• sjHarringtonsjHarrington Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Ah, you are correct! Thank you! I found the files!

In case it would be helpful for anyone else to know, the files are saved in a virtual store at C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\ (which is a hidden file, so you have to un-hide it by going to control panel and select folder options>view>show hidden files, folders and drives).

I was able to copy the .obp files from there to a folder in My Documents so that I can use them on my other computer, and I'll see about installing Bryce outside Program Files.

Thanks again! I really appreciate the help!