Rendering takes all computer memory

PatroklosPatroklos Posts: 533

Hello, when I start rendering my pc becomes unusable, is there any way to limit the amount of memory used?

Thanks

Post edited by Patroklos on

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

What OS are you using, Win 7, earlier? What are the basic specs of your PC, memory, cores etc?

You can use the Task manager to 'Set Affinity' if you have a lot of cores, and select the ones you want to use for DS, by right-clicking on the Process, Set Affinity, then select the cores.

• PatroklosPatroklos Posts: 533
    edited December 1969

Hi I have Win 7 64 bit, 8gb ram, Pentium CPU G850 2.9 gh

• SedorSedor Posts: 1,764
    edited December 1969

Are you using "Progressive Rendering" as render-option? When rendering with this option checked DS will use a lot of memory (much more than rendering in the "regular" way without this option).

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Your bottleneck is your CPU...it's going to choke on heavy use, like rendering.

edited December 1969

Sedpr, thanks I will try that.

mjc1016, I never thought I would do rendering on this machine so I thought the cpu would be adequate for other stuff, what cpu would be requiered?

Thanks for help.

edited December 1969

Graphics programs can be very processor heavy, and a Pentium is quite old by now.

Most people running a 64 bit OS for CG work, would use an i7 (quad core), or at least a dual core machine. I had 8GB RAM on my PC, but I recently upgraded to 16 MB, and I notice the difference.

A multi core chip of any kind would help enormously with processing.

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited December 1969

the G85 is a Dual Core Intel CPU, it's a socket 1155 CPU. your computer; depending on the motherboard may be able to support a better CPU , you need to look at the manufactures website to find out what you can upgrade to.

edited December 1969

sedor said:
    Are you using "Progressive Rendering" as render-option? When rendering with this option checked DS will use a lot of memory (much more than rendering in the "regular" way without this option).

You are absolutely right about that - but are the settings still the same (ray trace depth etc etc etc?

edited December 1969

there's an art to rendering to get the best quality or speed and knowing what your settings do can and how to set them correctly is half the battle.

http://forumarchive.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=144303

• adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited December 1969

Using CPU Affinity you can "reserve" one CPU for everything but Rendering, leaving your desktop much more usable.

To control how many CPUs DAZ is using, see this thread: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/7298/

edited December 1969

there's an art to rendering to get the best quality or speed and knowing what your settings do can and how to set them correctly is half the battle.

http://forumarchive.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=144303

Hi, yes I found that article and a few others, I set up like this ;
    Pixel Samples X/Y : 8
    Shadow Samples : 16
    Shading Rate : 0.50
    Pixel Filter X/Y : 6
    Catmul Rom

First it takes too long, second the ram is all used up so the pc is unusable for hours.

I guess I need a faster cpu, I can do that at a cost of around £275, but I still need my pc operational for surfing & general use whilst the render is taking place.

Thanks

edited December 1969

A pretty simple 297x737 render ia at 13 minuts and 0% :down:

edited December 1969

32 mins & 0% :shut:

edited December 1969

Patroklos said:
    A pretty simple 297x737 render ia at 13 minuts and 0% :down:

Either it is not as simple as you think, or more likely, tdlmake has got stuck.

What does the render window say it is doing, if it is still optimising images, then stop it, it wont go any further.

What lighting are you using, and what EXACTLY is in the Scene?

edited December 1969

Yep 0/47 optimising, I aborted it.

One light and a person on a gym bike in a celler.

• SedorSedor Posts: 1,764
    edited March 2013

A scene of that kind and image size shouldn't eat up all your memory (maybe you can show us a screenshot of your settings/scene/... maybe this could help us to find out what else could be wrong).

If the render stucks with this message, just quit DAZ Studio and start it again - now it should start rendering.

Post edited by Sedor on
    edited December 1969

I have a problem.

I closed and restarted Daz, loaded a much smaller scene, tried to render, Daz crashed (twice).

Any ideas?

edited December 1969

Well, there is something wrong here. What textures are you using on the figure, and what figure is it.

Is it a standard light or a shader light (Uber), and can you do any basic rendering with just say genesis, and one ditant light?

edited December 1969

OK I tried rendering the bike only.

Optimised the image 52 times, the the renter window came up with a mess in it and Daz crashed.

edited December 1969

Standar light only

edited December 1969

There is something badly wrong with your setup.

Uninstall DS, and then reinstall it again.

edited December 1969

Is there some cache needs flushing?

edited December 1969

There is something badly wrong with your setup.

Uninstall DS, and then reinstall it again.

Mmm, I feared that!

edited December 1969

I should just go to "uninstal a program" in the control panel & then reinstal?

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

What Graphics Card do you have?

edited December 1969

1GB AMD RADEON™ HD6790

I uninstalled & reinstalled, crashed again.

Its something about a setting or the Render Engine?

It rendered ok on 1 (worst) , 2, & 3 but 4 (best) crashed

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Look in the Advanced Render settings and look at what the Max Raytrace Depth is set to. If on 2 put it on 0 and try again.

Also go in to Help > Troubling Shooting > About your Video Card and see if everything is as it should be.

While your there you could also look at the Log and see if has thrown any error messages up. You will need to scroll through it all. :)

edited December 1969

Raytrace to zero still crashed.

About video card looks ok - same as last time.

I seem to have DAZ Studio 4.5.1.49 how do I get version 4.5.1.56 I though I was running that but it seems not

edited December 1969

The log report is very big and ends like this;-

WARNING: QLayout: Attempting to add QLayout "" to QWidget "", which already has a layout
    WARNING: QLayout: Attempting to add QLayout "" to QWidget "", which already has a layout
    Could not activate DAZ Decimator evaluation. Plug-in disabled.
    Could not activate Dynamic Cloth Plugin - Control evaluation. Plug-in disabled.
    Could not activate Mimic Live! evaluation. Plug-in disabled.
    Total class factories: 1176
    WARNING: 3DConnexion Plug-in Error: Could not create Device, CoCreateInstance failed
    3D mouse support library could not be loaded.
    Creating interface
    Successfully created OpenGL viewport for Viewport1.
    Successfully created OpenGL viewport for Viewport2.
    Successfully created OpenGL viewport for Viewport3.
    Successfully created OpenGL viewport for Viewport4.
    Executing startup script...
    Started in: C:/Program Files/DAZ 3D/DAZStudio4
    DAZ Studio Started
    Creating Pixel Buffer
    Pixel buffer - Width: 2048 Height: 2048
    Compiling OpenGL Shader...
    Fragment Shader:
    Fragment Shader compiled successfully.
    Linking Shader:
    Shader Program successfully linked.

Does that mean anything?

edited December 1969

does it begin the render and just get stuck a 0% or does it sit at the top of the render still optimizing the textures?
    the first would be a 3Delight crash, the second would be a maketdl.dll crash