Rendering Problems: "dark spots"

DNZ-3DNZ-3 Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Technical Help (nuts n bolts)

Hello everyone,

I have a problem with the rendering sequence and I need an answer.

I have this model, which I was rendering, when this dark spot kept on showing up in the final, quality renders.

The thing is, it did not show up in the dry runs and it gets worse when I do custom figure shapes (i.e. giving the model more body mass, etc.)

The pictures illustrating the problem are here:

http://i462.photobucket.com/albums/qq343/DNZ_3/Sample1_zps9c147110.png

http://i462.photobucket.com/albums/qq343/DNZ_3/Sample2_zps74712828.png

Can you guys help me?

What is the problem and How do I fix it?

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

It would be handy to know what program you are using, and what is in the scene, and what you are rendering it with?

You can post images directly to the thread by using the 'Browse' button just above the Sumbit Post button. Find the image on your machine, and browse to it. No need to resize, the forum software does that for you.

• DNZ-3DNZ-3 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Ok, here is some more information:

The program is DAZ Studio 4 and the image is being rendered with the default renderer built into the program.

In the scene contains a single clothed female Genesis figure with a costume made of various parts. The primary part that seems to be the problem is the body suit of this product:

http://www.daz3d.com/liquid-halo-on-sky-16-for-genesis

I created the custom skin for that bodysuit myself.

The problem is, if I made the model to bulky (with body mass) or have too large breasts (even by cranking the female genesis morph to 1.00), this problem will arise around the breasts/armpit area.

The lighting is done using the LIGHT Fiery Genesis that comes with the program

I hope that is enough data.

edited December 1969

Bump for exposure

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

I am not sure what I am looking at here.

Can you post another image to the forum here, showing the item from a distance, and then a close up of the problem, and describe what the problem is exactly? I have had to look at the Photobucket ones several times, and each time I have to wait a long time for the images to appear, some people wont click on external links at all, so please post the images to the forum.

I created the custom skin for that bodysuit myself.

Do you mean that you created a new texture for this suit, was that done using the template, or did it require any UV Mapping?

It looks like one of the normals has become inverted in the second shot, but the first one looks very ragged. Have you tried subdividing the mesh to increase the resolution?

edited March 2013

Okay, it looks like a full report is needed.

The scene contains a Female Genesis Figure modeled in Daz Studio 4 dressed in a Latias gijinka cosplay which I partially designed myself off some other pictures I saw the other day. Pictures of the full figure is attached. The first attached file is a dry run rendering, which is ran on the lowest detail settings (OpenGL Preview w/out shadows). The second attached file is the 'final' rendering, which is ran on the highest detail settings (3Delight).

The body suit was made by using a custom diffuse map picture file (to get all of the color and other details like symbols and lettering in) and a custom bump map picture file (for getting all of the raised surfaces and the in). The original item was the bodysuit of this Daz Studio product:

http://www.daz3d.com/liquid-halo-on-sky-16-for-genesis

Other than the coloring, symbols, and bump maps, and standard collision detection and smoothing operations, there were no further modifications. I assume that the creators of the products were reasonable enough to foresee these kind of problems.

The problem is that, in the final renderings, there is a strange "dark spots" around the breast and armpit areas of the bodysuit that did not show up before. Illustrations of the problem was displayed in the next two picture files. The first picture file is the close up of the problem area in the dry run rendering while the second picture file was the final rendering, with annotations illustrating the problem.

With the settings I am using for the genesis model (i.e. breast size, hip size, body mass, etc.), the problem is small enough that I could run the problem over with a quick tune-up with Photoshop or GIMP even if I blow up the image to my usual rendering sizes (5000 x 6500+ pixels in size). However, when the model gets more bulkier (i.e. a more fuller figure), the problems gets worse as the dark spots gets bigger, too big to safely use the Photoshop of GIMP to fix up.

I really hope that this is enough information, cause this is all I know.

So, based on the information I have gave you, what's wrong and how to fix the problem.

Sample_2.png
    640 x 828 - 669K
    Sample_1.png
    640 x 828 - 326K
    Latias_Report_2.png
    640 x 828 - 203K
    Latias_Report_1.png
    640 x 828 - 177K
    Post edited by DNZ-3 on
  • MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,898
    edited December 1969

I do not get the error in the suit using what came with it.

Are you using custom bump and displacement maps? If so, does the error go away if you turn those settings off?

What type of lighting are you using?

edited December 1969

The lighting was FIREY Genesis that came with the program.

But the problem was independent of the lighting, that I confirm.

And I have not tested it see if the custom bump and displacement maps were the problem, but I do not think this that was the problem.