Reimporting Metadata when a product is updated through Install Manager

bringhobringho Posts: 239
edited December 1969 in Technical Help (nuts n bolts)

Is there any way to get Daz Studio to automatically reimport Metadata when a product is updated through the Install Manager?

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,473
    edited December 1969

Using the Install Manager should add he metadata to the database as part of the install - no need to go through the dialogue that launches with DS. However, not all items include metadata. Is there a file for the item in \Runtime\Support? If so drag the script file (.dsa) into an open DS window to re-add the item to the queue for import.

• bringhobringho Posts: 239
    edited March 2013

Using the Install Manager should add he metadata to the database as part of the install - no need to go through the dialogue that launches with DS. However, not all items include metadata. Is there a file for the item in \Runtime\Support? If so drag the script file (.dsa) into an open DS window to re-add the item to the queue for import.

Edited: Disregard this post... I left my mouth running when the brain was off line...

Hi Richard,

That's one way to do it but when multiple product's are installed / updated it's a pain in the ...

It's not much better than the way I do it now. Keeping the Install Manager open to check the product number to find the product in the Content DB Maintenance... > Reimport Metatdata window...

How about this proposal for an upgrade of the Install Manager system:

1. Install Manager saves one (or more) log file(s) that contains a list of the installed / updated products.
    2. When Daz Studio launch or when the user execute Content DB Maintenance... > Process Metadata Queue, Daz Studio looks out for the log file and process the file.

That should not be to hard to implement. ;-)

Post edited by bringho on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,582
    edited December 1969

Install Manager will already do this: it uninstalls the old metadata and installs the new when the product is updated.

edited December 1969

And Content DB Maintenance > Re-Import Metadata will do what you want if the CMS wasn't running when you installed the update.

edited December 1969

And Content DB Maintenance > Re-Import Metadata will do what you want if the CMS wasn't running when you installed the update.

But the CMS is running as soon as I start the computer isn't it?

So I have to shut down the CMS ???

Then my proposal seems a lot better for the end user, unless there is a REALLY SIMPLE way to shut down and start the CMS...

Or if the Install Manager could do it when it's installing content (but how does it know Daz Studio isn't running...) ;-P

edited December 1969

Install Manager will already do this: it uninstalls the old metadata and installs the new when the product is updated.

I did understand that...

But reinstalling the Metadata files won't update the Metadata database...

edited December 1969

Install Manager doesn't just put the metadata files in the Support folder, it communicates directly with CMS to remove old metadata and add new metadata. You don't need to do it manually, However, if for some reason CMS wasn't running, Install Manager would be unable to do this.

edited December 1969

Install Manager doesn't just put the metadata files in the Support folder, it communicates directly with CMS to remove old metadata and add new metadata. You don't need to do it manually, However, if for some reason CMS wasn't running, Install Manager would be unable to do this.

That was the answer I were looking for.

Thanx m8