Smart Content disappeared

HaruchaiHaruchai Posts: 1,940
edited December 1969 in Technical Help (nuts n bolts)

Can anyone please help.

I have been using the Smart Content Tab happily for quite a while now. Suddenly, out of nowhere, my tab is now empty.

I realise I need the Content Management Service running, called ContentManagementServer under Windows processes. It is running from system start up.
Whenever I load Daz Studio it disappears from running processes as Studio starts. I have restarted it using the icon in my Start Menu and it comes back, so both it and Daz Studio are running, but no amount of reimporting MetaData populates my Smart Content Tab. Also if I close and restart Studio it disappears again anyway.

I have uninstalled both the Content Management Service and Daz Studio and reinstalled, twice.

Does anyone have any idea how to solve this?

Any help gratefully received.

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,473
    edited December 1969

Try turning the CMS off (there's a short cut in the Start Menu folder DAZ 3D>DAZ Content Management Service), then go to the folder you chose for the database when installing, and delete the .ind file. Then restart the CMS and launch DS.

• HaruchaiHaruchai Posts: 1,940
    edited March 2013

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the response. I have done what you suggested but the situation hasn't changed I'm afraid. Starting Studio shuts down Content Management and restarting it doesn't help.

BTW I now have a ContentDB.ind file that is 6mb instead of 11mb so it did something to recreate the file.

Any further suggestions welcome.

Post edited by Haruchai on
  • diogenese19348diogenese19348 Posts: 927
    edited December 1969

Richard, mine stopped working also. I think this might have something to do with it:

/*************************************************************************************/
    Sat Apr 13 2013 06:52:27.906000 ContentManagementServer (4.8, Kernel 4.8 )
    Licence license_emb_4422548148518942 is registered to DAZ3D.
    Valid until 9999-12-31. Subscription valid until 2013-02-08.
    Maximum number of connections: 5

Sat Apr 13 2013 06:52:27.976000 (TID 2320): VProject facilities are disabled since no appropriate license found
    Sat Apr 13 2013 06:52:27.976000 (TID 2320): Server started
    Sat Apr 13 2013 06:52:27.976000 (TID 2320): Non-secure port: 27997

It is from ContentManagementServer_20130413_065227.log in the Content Management Service/vlogs directory

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,473
    edited December 1969

I don't think that affects using the database like this, it refers to a more advanced feature that isn't needed for regular use.

edited December 1969

OK, my last hope of getting this sorted has gone. Daz Studio has been updated. I was hoping that the uninstall and reinstall of a new version would reset/fix something and bring back my Smart Content but no go.

Still having exactly the same issue. Start Studio and it shuts the Content Management Service down.

Anyone have any bright ideas please?

edited December 1969

Haruchai,

In my case it was the content download manager. The default content directory for that is in a public folder, which was fine since I have sort of a huge C: (2 TB), and installing all the stuff twice wasn't a problem for me. I updated the path to include that, then reinstalled D/S 4.5whatever dot, and all the content reappeared under smart content. I know it is pulling from there, because stuff doesn't show up until I install it with the content download manager, even though it is still in the old directory via manual download. I have no idea if that is your problem also, but it worked for me, and a simple re-install didn't. Oh, one other thing, I wiped out the entire Content Manager installation, not just that one file when I did it, so I got a clean reinstall.

edited December 1969

Haruchai,

In my case it was the content download manager. The default content directory for that is in a public folder, which was fine since I have sort of a huge C: (2 TB), and installing all the stuff twice wasn't a problem for me. I updated the path to include that, then reinstalled D/S 4.5whatever dot, and all the content reappeared under smart content. I know it is pulling from there, because stuff doesn't show up until I install it with the content download manager, even though it is still in the old directory via manual download. I have no idea if that is your problem also, but it worked for me, and a simple re-install didn't. Oh, one other thing, I wiped out the entire Content Manager installation, not just that one file when I did it, so I got a clean reinstall.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Just to clarify - where you say you 'updated the path', updated it where with what? Not sure I follow, sorry.

edited December 1969

Under the edit menu choose preferences then content library.

Click on content directory manager

Assuming you are using the default settings in the download manager, your files are being installed to

/users/pubilc/documents/My DAZ 3D library

and the Poser Portions are going to the same place (they need to be added separately), there is an entry for "DAZ Studio Formats" and "Poser Formats"

The default install for manually installed files was /users/your login on your computer/documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/My Library

which is quite a bit different.

Again, this worked for me, but I don't hear anybody else chiming in, and I am wondering why this problem was not more widespread if that is the solution.

edited April 2013

Thanks for clarifying, I thought that was what you meant.

I have added the public.... folder to DAZ and Poser formats but still no joy. I did, however, change the install path in Install Manager to my main My Library not the default DIM one so that folder contains no files. I will play around with the file locations some more and see if I can get it working.

Edit - fixed it.
    Actually what I did as an extra step was not only uninstall the Content Management Service via windows, I also manually deleted the folder, which still had files in it after the uninstall, from my Program Data folder. Reinstalled, reimported and Studio is currently rebuilding my Smart Content Database and all is well with the world :)

Post edited by Haruchai on