DS crashing on file open

SertorialSertorial Posts: 962
edited December 1969 in Technical Help (nuts n bolts)

I've been working on a scene for ages and it's suddenly failing to load. I can load all my other scenes just fine, but this one scene (my longest and most elaborate piece of work to date) won't load. It's getting to the 98% mark on "Reading asset" and then just freezing.

I really don't want to have to build the scene from scratch as it's taken me days!

The logfile seems to have this line repeated over and over again

WARNING: shapes\dzfacetmesh.cpp(2383): Index out of range in DzFacetMesh::getNormal()

Any ideas?

Is there like some kind of "safe mode" for DS to open in?

BTW I am on Win7, i7 proc and 32GB RAM running DS 4.5.1.56 Pro edition

Comments

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

The closest thing to a 'safe mode' was to switch to Wireframe display before trying to load. The idea is it didn't need to deal with optimizing textures along with everything else going on. But I don't know if this will help much anymore, the Smooth Modifier is the biggest resource hog now. Many old clothes have modifier set to 20 by default, even you reset it to 5 if you don't lock it it will be at 20 again when loading. I realize it doesn't help now but in the future try breaking a complex scene into smaller scene sub-sets

• SertorialSertorial Posts: 962
    edited December 1969

jestmart said:
    The closest thing to a 'safe mode' was to switch to Wireframe display before trying to load. The idea is it didn't need to deal with optimizing textures along with everything else going on. But I don't know if this will help much anymore, the Smooth Modifier is the biggest resource hog now. Many old clothes have modifier set to 20 by default, even you reset it to 5 if you don't lock it it will be at 20 again when loading. I realize it doesn't help now but in the future try breaking a complex scene into smaller scene sub-sets

Thanks

No encouraging words or helpful advice from anyone else then? Is my scene lost for ever?

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,340
    edited December 1969

What is in the scene? Is there anything you modeled yourself, or acquired from another source (not daz3d.com)? I wonder if there are any objects whose mesh contains polygons with more than four sides...these are not supported, and DAZ Studio may be having trouble trying to load them for that reason... This is just a guess...I haven't encountered this error message before, but I found something on the forum that lead me to suspect that this could be what is going on: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/9604/).

If you think this might be the reason, and you figure out which object is causing the problem, you may be able to fix it in a modeling program (Hexagon, Blender, Zbrush, etc.).

Since the issue you're having is technical in nature, I wonder if you might get more advice if this were posted to the Nuts and Bolts forum or the DAZ Studio Discussion forum...if you want, you can ask a moderator to move it (rather than creating a duplicate post).

Hope you get this resolved! This won't help you now, but in the future you may wish to save a complex scene to a new file after making significant changes to it (so you might have, for example, mybigscene1.duf, mybigscene2.duf, etc.).

• SertorialSertorial Posts: 962
    edited December 1969

What is in the scene? Is there anything you modeled yourself, or acquired from another source (not daz3d.com)? I wonder if there are any objects whose mesh contains polygons with more than four sides...these are not supported, and DAZ Studio may be having trouble trying to load them for that reason... This is just a guess...I haven't encountered this error message before, but I found something on the forum that lead me to suspect that this could be what is going on: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/9604/).

If you think this might be the reason, and you figure out which object is causing the problem, you may be able to fix it in a modeling program (Hexagon, Blender, Zbrush, etc.).

Since the issue you're having is technical in nature, I wonder if you might get more advice if this were posted to the Nuts and Bolts forum or the DAZ Studio Discussion forum...if you want, you can ask a moderator to move it (rather than creating a duplicate post).

Hope you get this resolved! This won't help you now, but in the future you may wish to save a complex scene to a new file after making significant changes to it (so you might have, for example, mybigscene1.duf, mybigscene2.duf, etc.).

Thanks for this. I shall ask to move the thread then and see if I can get any joy. I don't think I added anything to the scene (home made or otherwise) between a "good load" of the scene and a "crash load" of the scene.

Good idea about saving multiple versions.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,473
    edited December 1969

Moved to Nuts n Bolts by request.