Assorted Questions (Morph, .bum, and UV clothing related)

IceEmpressIceEmpress Posts: 639
edited December 1969 in Technical Help (nuts n bolts)

Okay, here are my questions:

1. Is there/what is a product that would allow me to scale Genesis's head by X/Y/Z axis?

2. Is there any free (as in freeware specifically) program that can open/convert .bum files to jpeg (or a similar readable image format) files?

3. Here's a complicated one. Actuqally, this entry is two questions. First, I need some good-- PREFERRABLY non-video tutorials for how morph-loader works. Second, could morph loader be used to create a head morph (either dialed or preset) for a figure like say-- V4 or Genesis from the head Obj of a figure like-- oh, Apollo Maximus or Kururu?

4. Okay, here's the big question-- Can someone list to me the clothing products with identical or near identical UV maps? Both commercial and commercial + freebie? To give you an example, I believe KCTC's hooded cloaks for Chip/Cookie possess similar UV maps to the Daz hooded cloak and can be used as such with a little tweaking (though I haven't actually tested it-- I've only looked at the textures and their mapping looks near-identical, with differences that look like they could be easily fixed with a bit of tweaking in GIMP)

Comments

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,632
    edited December 1969

opal42987 said:
    Okay, here are my questions:

1. Is there/what is a product that would allow me to scale Genesis's head by X/Y/Z axis?

2. Is there any free (as in freeware specifically) program that can open/convert .bum files to jpeg (or a similar readable image format) files?

3. Here's a complicated one. Actuqally, this entry is two questions. First, I need some good-- PREFERRABLY non-video tutorials for how morph-loader works. Second, could morph loader be used to create a head morph (either dialed or preset) for a figure like say-- V4 or Genesis from the head Obj of a figure like-- oh, Apollo Maximus or Kururu?

4. Okay, here's the big question-- Can someone list to me the clothing products with identical or near identical UV maps? Both commercial and commercial + freebie? To give you an example, I believe KCTC's hooded cloaks for Chip/Cookie possess similar UV maps to the Daz hooded cloak and can be used as such with a little tweaking (though I haven't actually tested it-- I've only looked at the textures and their mapping looks near-identical, with differences that look like they could be easily fixed with a bit of tweaking in GIMP)

1. Pretty sure you can do that just by selecting the head and using the scaling dials. You might have to set invisible nodes visible first. If not, the DieTrying conversion has a lot of head scaling features: http://www.sharecg.com/v/58198/view///#commentAnchor

2. The GIMP can do that.

3. I don't know of any for just that. This covers it as part of a larger process: http://forumarchive.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?p=3251385

And no, you can't. Not from the obj. You can use Gen X to transfer V4 character morphs, or you can import the character into a modeling program and try to move Genesis' features around to match it, then export that as a morph.

4. Other than the Morphing Fantasy Dress and the different Hooded Cloak versions, I don't know of any. My own Genesis products that are conversions of V4M4 sets have the same Uvs as those sets, but that's not what it sounds like you're asking.

• IceEmpressIceEmpress Posts: 639
    edited December 1969

Thank you.

Other than the Morphing Fantasy Dress and the different Hooded Cloak versions, I don’t know of any. My own Genesis products that are conversions of V4M4 sets have the same Uvs as those sets, but that’s not what it sounds like you’re asking.
    Yeah, you would be correct. I' m talking about completely different clothing items.

1. Pretty sure you can do that just by selecting the head and using the scaling dials.
    Nope. There's only a master scale.

You might have to set invisible nodes visible first.
    Oh. I hope that will work...

If not, the DieTrying conversion has a lot of head scaling features
    Already have it.

So, does Gimp require any plugins in order to read .bum files?

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,632
    edited December 1969

opal42987 said:
    Thank you.
    So, does Gimp require any plugins in order to read .bum files?

Nope. It shouldn't.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited March 2013

a .bum file is a very old Poser file, Poser 4 pre the original Poser PP. It was discontinued once the original PP arrived and now Poser reads jpgs for bump mapping, so around 10 years old now.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,886
    edited December 1969

1} Each "bone" has it's own scale dials, one master dial and 1 dial for each axis, problem is that those three axis dials are hidden, so you need to open the options menu on the Parameters tab and "check" show hidden properties.

2} iirc you can change the file extension on BUM files to BMP, then any paint program can open them.

4} Genesis is a classic example of why you wont find two (or more) mesh that can share the same textures, trying to match the UV's on different mesh results in texture distortion and stretching, with the result that Gen 4 textures don't fit Genesis very well.

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited March 2013

1. Pretty sure you can do that just by selecting the head and using the scaling dials.
    Nope. There’s only a master scale.

You need to go to the dropdown menu in the Parameters pane, and tick Show Hidden Properties, then you will get a slider or each axis.

EDIT: Beat again

Post edited by JimmyC_2009 on