Genesis Foot Weirdness (not V4 offset)

scotchfairyscotchfairy Posts: 54
edited December 1969 in Technical Help (nuts n bolts)

I'm posing a Genesis character in a dance-like pose, leaping up off the floor to grab something. I did okay, even managing to get the hand and fingers posed right with the Money Wrench she's grabbing, but her feet look odd to me. The foot she's pushing off with has an ankle bent all the way back (foot and shin make a straight line), and I was trying to turn her toes up to give the impression of pushing off the ground. Power Poser or whatever that plugin is called only gives you the main nodes, so I could see the ankle (labeled "Foot") and the big toe (Toe1). I have two pre-set poses to curl the toes down and to fan them out (but not UP). After messing around a bunch with the Scene tab, clicking at random, sacrificing a chicken, and dancing around while singing a prayer to Ghede, I finally found the the controls for the toes as a bunch. Is there no way to get separate control of the toes? And is the only joint the metatarsal head (first toe joint)? It produces a very unnatural looking foot, even before we get into the fact that the arch of the foot does not flex.

As a former dancer, I can tell you that the shape of the foot should change as the subject points their toe. Someone like me who can go all the way up on point, then keep bending the knee of the leg that's unweighted and rest my forefoot flat on the floor will have an extreme arch. I've noticed that setting "foot arch" does spit, at least as far as the stuff I'm used to seeing. Take a look here for a good example of a dancer's arch. Or here's a smaller image, with an even more extreme arch. And here and here are pretty good examples of what I mean by rolling over the front of the foot. Try and pose anything like these with a Genesis character, and you'll end up with a weird, flat-looking triangle of a foot.

Is there any way to get better control over the foot movement and poses?

Comments

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,633
    edited December 1969

I didn't find one. I made custom foot arch morphs for my ballet set that's now at Rendo.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

All Genesis Toes are a Group and only toe1 (biggie) can be posed on it's own. That is one thing I really dislike about Genesis.

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,941
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    All Genesis Toes are a Group and only toe1 (biggie) can be posed on it's own. That is one thing I really dislike about Genesis.

This one has hit me more than a few times too, and it's definitely at the top of the list of the things that needs to be fixed for the next version of Genesis. It's annoying enough on humans, but it really puts a limit on what you can do with the creature morphs.

edited December 1969

So wait, is it impossible to do an optional skeleton for Genesis, really? Because the toes are not meshed to be unsplittable. It's totally possible to rig them. Of course, they wouldn't be moved by most poses then, but one would have to do a pose pack to go with the add-on.

If doable it'd be worth it for the foot fans' business alone, let alone everybody else. :D

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

So wait, is it impossible to do an optional skeleton for Genesis, really? Because the toes are not meshed to be unsplittable. It's totally possible to rig them. Of course, they wouldn't be moved by most poses then, but one would have to do a pose pack to go with the add-on.

If doable it'd be worth it for the foot fans' business alone, let alone everybody else. :D

I'm with you, SO NEED Toe's!!
  • CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,941
    edited December 1969

There's no reason I know of that it's not DO-able, but I don't see anyone doing it. And until then, my dreams of re-creating Kim Possible's Monkey Fist will remain but a forlorn hope, lost in the wilderness...

• gioloigioloi Posts: 57
    edited July 2013

I made custom foot arch morphs for my ballet set that's now at Rendo.

May I ask you how did you create these morphs?

I'd need the Feet Arch morph for my Genesis models, too, but can't find it.

Thanks.

Post edited by gioloi on
    edited December 1969

gioloi said:
    I made custom foot arch morphs for my ballet set that's now at Rendo.

May I ask you how did you create these morphs?

I'd need the Feet Arch morph for my Genesis models, too, but can't find it.

Thanks.

You can create any character morph the same way I did, including for feet. This will also work for Genesis 2 Female or basically any figure in DAZ Studio 4.6.

Reduce unmorphed Genesis subdiv to 0 and resolution to base in the Parameters tab.
    Export Genesis to obj.
    Import to whatever modeler you're comfortable with (I use Blender).
    Shape Genesis' geometry into the morphed form.
    Export to obj again. Use settings that retain vertex order.
    Start up Morph Loader Pro. Load the exported obj as a morph.
    Give it a name and a group. Don't leave it in morph/morph loader pro.
    Click accept.

Check that the dial appears and dial it in to see if it worked.
    Save with file--save as--support asset--morph assets.

Delete Genesis and reload it to check that it's there. You're done!

If you want to create a morph that modifies another morph, say add smaller or larger breasts to V5, do the same, but in step 1 instead of unmorphed Genesis export Genesis with the V5 morph dialed to 100% and scale reset to 100% (most female morphs mess with scale, always fix before export to avoid issues).

Import the morphed Genesis and do the same as above.

When you use Morph Loader Pro, change the "reverse deformations" setting from "no" to "yes."

Now it will only register the difference between your new morph and the old one. This means your morph may only work with V5, but it will work properly to modify her.

And there you go.

edited July 2013

Thanks for your answer.
    It looks not a very simple matter, at least for who's not comfortable with 3d modelers.
    Do you think Hexagon 2 could work?
    Anyway, do you confirm that the Feet Arch morph isn't available in Genesis, even if I'm using Evolution Body Morph? It should be included, but I can't find it.
    Well, seems I have to learn how modelers work. ;)

Post edited by gioloi on
    edited December 1969

The Feet Arch morph from Evolution is under Lower Body---Feet--Universal. Its effect is very subtle and basically only on the inside of the foot.

edited December 1969

Well, that's what I have:
    Evolution Morphs photo morphs_zpse0cfe4c3.jpg
    The Feet Arch is missing, isn't it?

edited December 1969

gioloi said:
    Well, that's what I have:
    Evolution Morphs photo morphs_zpse0cfe4c3.jpg
    The Feet Arch is missing, isn't it?

Yep. Looks like you may need to reinstall the Evolution morphs?

edited December 1969

Done. Twice. Nothing happens.
    A real mystery.