Tile size for Fabricator?

scotchfairyscotchfairy Posts: 54
edited December 1969 in Technical Help (nuts n bolts)

again, this is a case of insufficient documentation. The Shader Maker tutorial I bought is actually for Daz 3, which makes it rather useless, and the tutorial that came with Fabricator looks like it was meant to just show you the barest bones of how to use it, not how to make and load new fabric patterns into it. As I need to make a custom pattern for this project, I'm going to have to learn now. I'm currently working on the pattern in Illustrator, but it can easily be exported over to Photoshop. The question is, what file type and what size should I make the seamless tile? And then what do I do with it in Daz4.5 to save it as a Fabricator pattern?

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Fabricator is a set of ready made shader presets for you to use as is. It was not designed for the making of fabfric yourself. You can create your own sets and use them with it. If you Right click on one of the Presets and use Browse to File Location you could Copy one of them and then Paste it into another folder to get the proper Size and settings from.

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,598
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Fabricator is a set of ready made shader presets for you to use as is. It was not designed for the making of fabfric yourself. You can create your own sets and use them with it. If you Right click on one of the Presets and use Browse to File Location you could Copy one of them and then Paste it into another folder to get the proper Size and settings from.

IIRC Marieah did encourage people to make additional tiles and created a tutorial for this process. I'm not sure but you could try checking on sharecg.

I remember Wilmap making a whole heap of downloads.

If not I would image jpegs would work and you could check the file size of the image Marieah used to get image size.

edited December 1969

Pendraia said:
    If not I would image jpegs would work and you could check the file size of the image Marieah used to get image size.
    Pretty much what I suggested with the Copy paste thing. But this should solve all the questions Marieah's Fabricator Tut from ShareCG now the OP can do it all.
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Pendraia said:
    Pretty much what I suggested with the Copy paste thing. But this should solve all the questions Marieah's Fabricator Tut from ShareCG now the OP can do it all.
    Thanks Jaderail! : )

I should have done that earlier but didn't have chance,

• scotchfairyscotchfairy Posts: 54
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:

the Fabricator sales page here on Daz3D
    And you can easily add your own fabrics to The Fabricator just by making a seamless square that tiles nicely at 10 by 10 and saving it as a Shader Preset with default DS settings. The weave does all the transformation work. The Fabricator is the ultimate DIY texturing utility.

I wouldn't have bought Yet Another preset shader right now. The tutorial packaged with Fabricator claims to be for Pimp My Prop, but contains a beginner's guide to using the Fabricator. Similarly, Pattern Magic 1 claims to be for Studio 4.5, but the Shader Mixer tutorial that's sitting right next to it and set up to look like it's part of a set with Pattern Magic, doesn't list a version number. Open it up and find it was written in 2010 for Studio 3 Advanced. I consider that a *gotcha*.

edited December 1969

I linked to the Creators own Tutorial so you could do what you wish. If you are getting content that you are not happy with or has the wrong content with it (some DS3 tutorials are still valid because the functions used have not changed from DS3 to DS4.5 by the way) Daz3D has a 100% refund policy for any items bought in the last 30 days.

I was only trying to state that Fabricator was a set of shaders ready to use at install and not a tool to create your own fabric with. I never said that making other sets were not possible.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:

And you can easily add your own fabrics to The Fabricator just by making a seamless square that tiles nicely at 10 by 10 and saving it as a Shader Preset with default DS settings. The weave does all the transformation work. The Fabricator is the ultimate DIY texturing utility.

I wouldn't have bought Yet Another preset shader right now. The tutorial packaged with Fabricator claims to be for Pimp My Prop, but contains a beginner's guide to using the Fabricator. Similarly, Pattern Magic 1 claims to be for Studio 4.5, but the Shader Mixer tutorial that's sitting right next to it and set up to look like it's part of a set with Pattern Magic, doesn't list a version number. Open it up and find it was written in 2010 for Studio 3 Advanced. I consider that a *gotcha*.

This product if I remember correctly also comes with a rotate brick which is extremely useful when playing in ShaderMixer.

I'm not sure why you consider that a gotcha? I'm sure you don't mean to sound like you are deliberately looking for issues but that is the way it's coming across.

• BWSmanBWSman Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:

Shaders created for DAZ Studio 3 will work fine in Studio 4.5. Any tutorials that come with those products will also be relevant despite being written for Studio 3.

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,886
    edited April 2013

Pendraia said:
    This product if I remember correctly also comes with a rotate brick which is extremely useful when playing in ShaderMixer.

Wrong product Pen, that brick is in the free shadermixer tutorial, and it's Richards' network grouped into a custom brick.

If Fabricator is still the same as the one my friend bought for DS3 then it wont really be DS4 compatible, in DS3 the Bump & Displacement were not connected to the tiling in the default surface shader, so those maps were probably tiled in a paint program to compensate for this, in DS4 the Bump & Displacement are connected to the tiling, as a result you'll be getting the wrong Bump/Disp effects from those same maps.

Post edited by Bejaymac on
    edited December 1969

Bejaymac said:
    Pendraia said:

Wrong product Pen, that brick is in the free shadermixer tutorial, and it's Richards' network grouped into a custom brick.

If Fabricator is still the same as the one my friend bought for DS3 then it wont really be DS4 compatible, in DS3 the Bump & Displacement were not connected to the tiling in the default surface shader, so those maps were probably tiled in a paint program to compensate for this, in DS4 the Bump & Displacement are connected to the tiling, as a result you'll be getting the wrong Bump/Disp effects from those same maps.

Ahhh, sorry about that. I didn't realise that Richard had a hand in the network.

• MarieahMarieah Posts: 518
    edited April 2013

Fabricator is fully compatible with the latest versions of DS because it uses DS default shaders only. My Share Cg tutorial is designed to help people make tiles for Fabricator that will work with the Fabricator Weaves. As such, the tutorial covers making shaders with diffuse maps only.

The Fabricator Weaves are Bump, Displacement, Spec and Gloss maps and settings that you apply afterwards to the diffuse tile to make your surface render as canvas, knit, cotton and lots of others.

It has nothing to do with Shader Mixer. Uber Surface and HSS shaders are also different.

You can use tiles of any size to make shaders. But because the Fabricator Weaves are designed to look best when tiled at 10 by 10, I recommend using a 600 by 600 tile which will produce a resolution of 6000 by 6000 when applied and so give fantastic qulaity results.

Post edited by Marieah on
  • scotchfairyscotchfairy Posts: 54
    edited December 1969

I apologize if I sounded snappy earlier. I was just coming down with a cold and hadn't realized it yet (I usually don't post when I'm ill and grumpy).

My last post mostly had to do with that quote from the Daz shop page, which seemed to be in direct opposition to Jaderail's statement that "Fabricator is a set of ready made shader presets for you to use as is. It was not designed for the making of fabfric yourself." While it comes with presets and more packs are sold, it was the fact that Fabricator has a DIY function that sold me on it.

My other comment about the Shader Maker tutorial shouldn't have been here. As a former tech writer, there are some things about this site that just make me crazy if I spend too long on here. But that's my problem, not yours.

edited December 1969

I apologize if I sounded snappy earlier. I was just coming down with a cold and hadn't realized it yet (I usually don't post when I'm ill and grumpy).

My last post mostly had to do with that quote from the Daz shop page, which seemed to be in direct opposition to Jaderail's statement that "Fabricator is a set of ready made shader presets for you to use as is. It was not designed for the making of fabfric yourself." While it comes with presets and more packs are sold, it was the fact that Fabricator has a DIY function that sold me on it.

My other comment about the Shader Maker tutorial shouldn't have been here. As a former tech writer, there are some things about this site that just make me crazy if I spend too long on here. But that's my problem, not yours.

Lol...no problem! Colds are a pain in the rear...I'm still getting over one myself.

I understand getting frustrated, I tend to use preview a lot. The number of times I've written a reply,previewed it and then decided I better leave it unsaid are many.