DAZ Studio 4 on separate system partitions

TriariusTriarius Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Technical Help (nuts n bolts)

I'm running OS 10.6.8 on one partition, OS 10.8.3 on another. DAZ Studio 4.5 is currently installed under 10.8 (the worst OS Apple has ever released), but I'd like to install it under 10.6.8. Is there any problem doing this, but using the same library files (on a partition available to both OSs)

What files do I need to install on the 10.6.8 partition, and how do I point the application at the (common) library files?

Comments

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,870
    edited December 1969

Triarius said:
    I'm running OS 10.6.8 on one partition, OS 10.8.3 on another. DAZ Studio 4.5 is currently installed under 10.8 (the worst OS Apple has ever released)

10.7 was a tiny bit worse but I know what you mean, 10.6.8 is still the best OS X release ever made

but I'd like to install it under 10.6.8. Is there any problem doing this, but using the same library files (on a partition available to both OSs)
    What files do I need to install on the 10.6.8 partition, and how do I point the application at the (common) library files?

The tricky part here is not DS per se but the Content Manager. I would recommend installing that also on the partition accessible from both OS:s, installing it (and as it comes with the DS installer, install DS in Botgh OS:es once more with the Content Manager pointing to a directory to that partition.

The reason for this is that when you install content, the CMS database will be updated and if you have two CMS:es it will get screwed up really bad when things are missing from the database as you installed it from the "other OS".
    If you use DIM (Install Manager) this can be really tricky as it will place things in /Users/Shared which is a mapped directory that is "OS dependent", so I would not use the DIM unless you decided to always install when you are running "that OS".

It can probably be solved but not easy and not for the weak hearted, requires some bravery to make DIM work in this setup.

So, conclusion

DS it self is no problem, just point out the directory in the Content Directory Manager window (found from the little icon in the content tab.
    So, steps

(1) Create a directory on your common partition and name it "DAZCMS" or something similar
    (2) Use the applescript to Stop the CMS (found in /Applications/DAZ 3D/DAZ Studio(32 or 64bit)/service
    (3) Locate your CMS database, defeault is /Library/DAZ 3D/Content Manager Service.
    (4) make a backup of the folder databases in there (drag a copy to the desktop)
    (5) Install DS in this OS, then in the other OS, both times setting the Content Manager Installation to the DAZCMS directory.
    (6) Now stop the CMS again.
    (7) Now replace the databases directory with the one you backed up
    (8) Start the CMS and start DS and check if you get your smart content alive and well (and that genesis stuff do conform correctly.
    (9) Celebrate or Curse depending on outcome.

• scotchfairyscotchfairy Posts: 54
    edited December 1969

If you're just asking if Daz 4.5 will run under MacOSX 10.6.8, yes it will. I have it running that way now. I feel the same way you do about 10.7 and 10.8, so I've never bothered to "upgrade" this machine and risk screwing up all my other software that's currently running here.

I'd personally probably do the simple thing and de-install the DIM from wherever it is now (you had to tell it you were running 10.8 when you installed it). Then re-install it in the same partition with your content database - or "~blah/blah/Daz3D/Studio/MyLibrary/" (that's on the shared partition, right?) and tell the installer you're running 10.68 Only run the installer when you've got 10.6.8 running.

I'm finding that I only run the DIM when I'm downloading something from here. Or once a week if I haven't downloaded anything. So it shouldn't be a big hardship to only run it under one OS.

• TriariusTriarius Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thank you both.

I got 10.8 because I temporarily lost most use of my right hand (tendon repair—too strong for my own good) and needed it to run Dragon Dictate. 10.8 is the worst OS Apple ever released, from the 512K era on. Yes, I'm that old. Soon as I have the time, I'm going to give Apple an ear-full, and I encourage others to do the same.

Once I have 10.6.8 restored, I'll be running 10.8 on a Parallels virtual machine ONLY. Windows XP Pro runs that way on my machine, and runs faster and more stably than 10.8. If that isn't a tremendous condemnation of Apple, nothing is.

Sorry about the rant, and thanks again!

edited December 1969

Triarius said:
    10.8 is the worst OS Apple ever released, from the 512K era on.

Yeah, my friends dad when I was i highschool worked as head of Apple Europe in Paris so we played with one of the first Macs that arrived, and another friend translated the Lisa to Swedish a year or so before that so I'm that old too ;-)
  • scotchfairyscotchfairy Posts: 54
    edited December 1969

Then you're both old enough to have possibly seen the tshirts that showed up at MacHacks that said, "System 7" on the front and "SUCKS LESS" on the back. After all the hype about 10.7 and then fiasco of "just downloading it" and the way it "improved" several things by removing features, I was tempted to revive those shirts again.

edited December 1969

Then you're both old enough to have possibly seen the tshirts that showed up at MacHacks that said, "System 7" on the front and "SUCKS LESS" on the back. After all the hype about 10.7 and then fiasco of "just downloading it" and the way it "improved" several things by removing features, I was tempted to revive those shirts again.

And I'd be very tempted to buy the upgraded version…:-S

edited December 1969

I've had several discussions with friends about Apple and 10.7+ and what Apple did with 10.7+ is what microsoft did with Windows 8, they are closing the circle.

First, we had stationary phones at the desk
    Then we got stationary computers at the desk
    Then we got mobile phones
    Then we got mobile computers
    Then we got smart computer like phones
    Then we got tables
    Now we're getting stationary phones again......

edited December 1969

We certainly got a stationary operating system, "slower than molasses in January."