Can LAMH Pick Up Variable Diffuse?

SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,632
edited December 1969 in Technical Help (nuts n bolts)

That is, are tigers possible? If so, how does one create a LAMH fur preset with stripes or spots?

Is the only way to create two overlapping LAMH groups with different colors? That's going to be laborious, but I suppose with its ability to import 2d image files as maps it's possible.

Comments

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

How I don't know but the product page http://www.daz3d.com/hair/look-at-my-hair shows a tiger and I believe there is a tiger preset available from the website. For which tiger I don't either sorry.

I believe it can pick up the RGB values of a texture map.

edited April 2013

found it http://www.furrythings.com/mil-big-cat-tiger-get-its-coat/

It may give you the info you need by looking at which map goes where. Providing you have Mil Big Cat. :)

Post edited by Szark on
  • SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,632
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    How I don't know but the product page http://www.daz3d.com/hair/look-at-my-hair shows a tiger and I believe there is a tiger preset available from the website. For which tiger I don't either sorry.

I believe it can pick up the RGB values of a texture map.

Aha, yes it can.

Oooh, this is going to be fun.

edited December 1969

LOL sweet, thought so. ;)

• cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited December 1969

I believe the colour from texture map only works when LAMH exports RiCurves; OBJ export doesn't support it. While Studio doesn't support vertex colours, it might be interesting if LAMH could bake the texture colours into vertex colours when it exports the OBJ for other renderers that do. Or if it could export the hair as cyHair files, which also support hairpoint colours (and alpha).

edited December 1969

cwichura said:
    I believe the colour from texture map only works when LAMH exports RiCurves; OBJ export doesn't support it. While Studio doesn't support vertex colours, it might be interesting if LAMH could bake the texture colours into vertex colours when it exports the OBJ for other renderers that do. Or if it could export the hair as cyHair files, which also support hairpoint colours (and alpha).

I've no interest in obj export for this project, I just want my cat stripes to stay on when the fur is added. I'm creating LAMH presets for a conforming ears and tail.

edited December 1969

Yeah but it sure is nice to know, thanks cwichura I didn't realise that was the case. That makes rendering in Vue for complicated fur hard then. :(

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

That is one of the Great features of LAMH the Diffuse Texture map can be/will be the hairs color map. I love that.

• cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited December 1969

Did a little looking into the OBJ format, and it doesn't support vertex colour information. LAMH could still set the UV coordinates in the OBJ (which obviously are supported) for the hair stands based on the underlying shape, though, so that textured fur would still work. Maybe that got added before it was released; I just seem to recall leading up to release, it was said only RiCurves would support diffuse texture mapping.

edited December 1969

Ok thanks I will have to go digging in the LAMH thread....I may be sometime.

edited December 1969

cwichura said:
    Did a little looking into the OBJ format, and it doesn't support vertex colour information. LAMH could still set the UV coordinates in the OBJ (which obviously are supported) for the hair stands based on the underlying shape, though, so that textured fur would still work. Maybe that got added before it was released; I just seem to recall leading up to release, it was said only RiCurves would support diffuse texture mapping.

Hmm, that might be worth looking into.

The annoyance I ran into making my Bunny set which has followed me to the Cat set is the necessity of creating a new (and large) lamh preset for every color of fur. I was hoping if I created one fur preset I could then apply regular DS materials to it, but that is apparently not the case. That would be a benefit to an obj fur that I could just rig as a conformer, and it can't be more of a render hog than the hair is on an entire tail at a density of 50000.

I'll have to play around and see what I can do.