Please help with figure not loading after save :(

Howdy to any of you kind souls out there who may be able to help. I created a scene in DS 3.1 using Redspark's CHIP figure. I saved the scene just as I normally do for all other scenes. I later tried to reload the scene and got "One or more files could not be found while loading blah-blah-blah. Make sure that your DAZ Studio content directories are correctly set blah-blah-blah." I click '"ok" to proceed and "An error occurred while reading the file, see the log file for more details." I double checked my directory settings even though I haven't tampered with them and see nothing unusual. I reviewed the log file and this is what I see: "

Unable to find file for storable: data/3_0/!Chip_24922/hip/!Chip_24922_hip/geometry.dso
Unable to find file for storable: data/3_0/!Chip_24922/hip/modifiers/morphs/COO_40_0.dsd

Those are just the first two lines, although the log is a mile long consisting of the same type of messages.

I've spent a few hours researching the forum here, as well as elsewhere, and saw similar, but not identical, issues by other members. I attempted some of the suggestions to see if it would help but I haven't had any luck. In one case someone was attempting to restore a scene (which IS actually what I am trying to do) but as part of my research I created an entirely new and simple scene for the sake of saving it then attempting to re-open the same exact scene I had just saved. Epic fail. I AM able to open other scenes I created as recent as yesterday, although with M4 and other content, not CHIP. This tells me that apparently something strange is happening, perhaps with the figure itself? I have no issues with using the character in a scene, as far as loading him, posing him etc., although the hair included with the figure doesn't load parented and I had an unexpected struggle adjusting and fitting it, which was somewhat of a surprise. It loaded quite disproportional and mis-shapen to fit on his head and I had to make numerous adjustments to get it to appear as if it was even made for the character. I don't suspect this has anything to do with the problem of reloading the scene, as the new scene I created as a test I did not use the hair at all. I just thought I'd mention it since it's the only issue I can recall at all when I created the original scene.

I would greatly appreciate it if anyone can offer any advice. I was quite proud of the scene and wanted to let it render while I slept peacefully tonight and put it to use as a surprise for someone in the morning. I'm really stumped as I have never had this issue before. Thank you kindly to any nightowls who may be here :)

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,474
    edited December 1969

Try loading and saving something you haven't used before - if you don't have anything suitable try grabbing a set of clothes from ShareCG - and see if that will open. If it will it's probably something to do with Chip, if not it's something to do with the paths or folders.

• edited December 1969

Try loading and saving something you haven't used before - if you don't have anything suitable try grabbing a set of clothes from ShareCG - and see if that will open. If it will it's probably something to do with Chip, if not it's something to do with the paths or folders.

Hi there Richard! I actually saw that recommended somewhere while I was researching my problem and I gave it a shot. Unfortunately it didn't work. The strange thing is after I load the scene and click on "ok" for the error messages, it appears to continue to load. When I go to the scene tab, everything is there, but there is nothing in the viewport. Not even the planes I created for the scene. I can even click on the items under the scene tab and expand them if they are expandable and everything looks to be there :/

• edited December 1969

I'm still hoping for some help with this if anyone has any different ideas or suggestions. I greatly appreciate it if anyone does. Hope everyone is having a great start to their weekend :)

edited December 1969

Well, the old advice you saw probably related to DS4.0 or earlier. But have you tried a new scene, with new content (actually, it would probably be enough for testing purposes to create a couple of primitives from the Create menu), saving that and reloading? If that fails, or is failing after you've tried it already, my guess would be that there's something odd with the DAZ Studio Content directory paths - please post a screen shot of your Content Directory Manager (right-click on Content Library pane's tab to launch it) with Current>DAZ Studio Content Directories expanded.

• GranvilleGranville Posts: 690
    edited April 2013

I have had a few scenes do this to me. If it is just a prop, I sometimes could get it to load by running runtime repair on it. This is a program that I got at rendo that removes syntax and absolute references from poser files.

Once though it was caused by normals facing the wrong way. I could tell by looking at the file in hexagon, but I was not adept enough to fix it.

Sometimes I could fix these files by opening them in ds3 and saving them as a daz scene. Then, they will import as a daz scene into 4.5

Post edited by Granville on
  • edited December 1969

Well, the old advice you saw probably related to DS4.0 or earlier. But have you tried a new scene, with new content (actually, it would probably be enough for testing purposes to create a couple of primitives from the Create menu), saving that and reloading? If that fails, or is failing after you've tried it already, my guess would be that there's something odd with the DAZ Studio Content directory paths - please post a screen shot of your Content Directory Manager (right-click on Content Library pane's tab to launch it) with Current>DAZ Studio Content Directories expanded.

GRRR Ok I AM convinced it's a directory issue, but no clue why I am convinced of that LOL. I am having a NEW issue that is most likely related where I am trying to save a new scene, and I get "An error occurred while saving the file, see log file for more details." This is saving a new scene with content that ALL worked before, both saving and re-loading later. I am able to load an old saved scene, say from a month ago, with no issues, then without making any changes immediately save the scene and just give it a new name and I get the same error. The issue I WAS having was being able to load a scene but now I can't save either. Crazy. I haven't made any changes to my knowledge. I'm going to start by posting the directory images you requested. Please not that I will be at work all evening into the night so I won't be able to respond again until I get home. This is very frustrating as I don't want to lose the scene I currently have in my viewport :( I don't understand why I can't save now when before it was an issue loading saved files. Sumthin' funny goin' on here LOL! Hopefully the attached directory images can help someone to help me :)

DS_CONTENT.JPG
    442 x 464 - 28K
    DS_CONTENT_DIRECTORY_MANAGER.JPG
    522 x 359 - 35K
  • edited December 1969

Oh I am adding a screen-cap of the log file info. I think that might be important also :)

LOG_FILE_TEST_SAVE_DETAILS.JPG
    764 x 119 - 30K
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Do you have the Figure installed in the DS3 Content folder or just the DS4 My Library Folder?

Either way your My Library folder needs added to the Native Formats section not just the Poser Formats.

• edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Do you have the Figure installed in the DS3 Content folder or just the DS4 My Library Folder?

Either way your My Library folder needs added to the Native Formats section not just the Poser Formats.

Thank you for the quick reply! Please note this is DS 3.1 as mentioned in my original post to open this thread, not DS 4.

edited December 1969

Either way the My Library folder is a Daz Studio Native folder with a Runtime in it. It should be listed in both. Not just under Poser Formats.

• edited April 2013

Jaderail said:
    Either way the My Library folder is a Daz Studio Native folder with a Runtime in it. It should be listed in both. Not just under Poser Formats.

Thanks...I did go and add it to that directory while waiting for your reply since I'm kind of desperate LOL. That didn't help I still can't save the scene :( Do you think I should maybe run that "search for content directories option"?

Post edited by simon16436_55bfd56f76 on
    edited December 1969

I suspect the issue is having nested content directories - you have both Content and the Reality folder within Content selected. Try removing the reality folder from the list for now and see if you can then save a new scene.

• edited December 1969

I suspect the issue is having nested content directories - you have both Content and the Reality folder within Content selected. Try removing the reality folder from the list for now and see if you can then save a new scene.

Richard I very much appreciate that. I have to go to work right now and it'll be a fairly late night for me but I will definitely try that when I get home. That Reality folder has been there for over a year and never presented any problems, but anything is worth a try at this stage. Please don't give up on me...I'm going to come home after work totally stressed about this :/

• edited December 1969

Yay I am home from work finally...but I tried the last suggestion and was not able to save the scene :( I ran the "search for directory content" option since I wasn't advised not to, on the off chance it would locate whatever it seems not to be able to in order to save a scene. That seems to have been a mistake, although what happened may lead in a direction to someone being able to help me determine the issue. Of course the scan added a bunch of unnecessary directories, but now NONE of my content categories within the interface have any content whatsoever :( All of the folders are there, I can expand each of them within their respective categories, but there is no content. I'm at such a loss since I haven't changed anything at all :(

edited December 1969

Is this in the Content Library or the Smart Content pane? If it's Content Library I assume you are checking both Poser Formats and DAZ Studio Formats.

edited December 1969

DS3.2 Richard. I made the same mistake.

• Eustace ScrubbEustace Scrubb Posts: 2,698
    edited December 1969

I had about the same problem for a while: I thought it was a glitch with my shaders saved from 4.5 until I tested it with an unchanged PhilC figure. it's a save-routine issue. Older files (pre-glitch, whenever that was) opened just fine, too. I ended up downloading a fresh installer from the (very much new-and-improved!) Product Library and re-installing. It fixed the issue entirely, but I think the files saved with the glitch are still glitched, unfortunately.