My Mac can't unzip dowloaded .zip tutorial files

sinfanysinfany Posts: 190
edited December 1969 in Technical Help (nuts n bolts)

Hi - I'm running Mac OS X 10.6.8 and the archive utility hasn't been able to open downloaded MP4 zip folders.
I'm also having trouble with the install manager - I get the receipt for the purchase in my email but the install manager is empty!
Any insights will be appreciated!
Thanks!

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,473
    edited December 1969

If the file has an mp4 extension then it isn't a zip, it's a video. As far as I know QuickTime should be able to handle it, subject to having a suitable codec.

• sinfanysinfany Posts: 190
    edited December 1969

The file has a .zip extension - are you saying that I can open it with QuickTime?

edited December 1969

No, I was confused and thought it might be an uncompressed MP4 file. Have you tried a different zip utility - I think 7-Zip is available for macs and the Windows version is pretty good. If that doesn't help you may need to clear your browser cache and try again, or try with a different browser.

edited December 1969

Hi,
    I downloaded a series of tutorials and can't open the zip folders - I tried the archive utility that came with my MacBook but it only duplicates the zip folder ( I ended up with several!)
    I also tried iZip but that didn't work either. There must be a way to open these folders... Please help this newbie
    Thanks!

• Saba TaruSaba Taru Posts: 170
    edited December 1969

If the native BOM archive utility won't unzip something, I use Stuff It, and that seems to work for everything else. At least, I haven't encountered anything that one or the other can't unzip (unless there's a problem with the ZIP file itself).

As for playing WMV files on a Mac (I saw your other thread about WMV files in the New User forum)... You'll need a plugin (like Flip4Mac) to play them through QuickTime. QuickTime should play MP4 files natively (without a plugin), once you get them unzipped. A quick google search on "playing WMV files on Mac" should give you a lot of additional options / information.

And for the Install Manager being empty... you mean you're using the DIM? Are you sure you're working online (that the "work offline" box is not checked)?

edited December 1969

Merged threads. Please don't post multiple threads on the same issue - it just leads to people covering ground in the new thread that has already been covered in the old. If you wish we can move this thread to the New Users Help forum.

• scotchfairyscotchfairy Posts: 54
    edited December 1969

Smith Micro's Stuffit Expander is still free, I think. You'll have to check and see if it does zip files or if you need the Deluxe/Destinations version for that. I've owned the paid version for so long for dealing with oddball files that I'm no longer sure what the free version does and does not do. But Stufffit Deluxe/Destinations has been opening the files here just fine. Keep in mind that some archives are double-zipped: there's a first zip file that when opened gets you a README file, a license and maybe a few pretty pictures, and a second zip archive, which is the real payload. This is done so that you can dump the payload zip into the directory specified in the ReadMe file and unzip it to have the files turn up in the (hopefully) correct spots in your file directories.

I thought that Fip4Mac was no longer supported for MacOSX 10.6.8 on up. That's why so many of us switched to perian (www.perian.org) Which, oops, apparently is getting ready to pack it in too according to their website. They suggest Niceplayer, VLC, or M Player OS X. In my opinion, VLC's code tree is better maintained than M Player's.

For the last one or two oddball Windows formats that won't play on anything else, there's iSkysoft Video Converter. Not free, but not terribly expensive even in the "pro" version. I do just enough video editing that I've got that installed on this machine for those last-ditch "play it or trash it" situations.

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited December 1969

right click the file,
    do you see anything like this when you go to Open With?

Screen_shot_2013-04-15_at_11.10_.54_AM_.png
    470 x 376 - 38K
    edited December 1969

Thanks for your reply,
    I downloaded the Stuffit expander - it couldn't determine the file format (WMV.zip).
    :long:

edited April 2013

make sure your file is actually a zip. the file.zip on the desktop could actually be named file.zip and not be a .zip file at all. I can name a .jpg file.zip in MacOS and it's a.jpg, bring the file over to a windows computer and windows will think it's a .zip because of it' name. File names can be very arbitrary on the mac.

if you manually change the name to file.zip the OS should ask you do you want to change the file type or keep, if so click change the file type to .zip and the OS will now recognize it as zip file even if it's not one to begin with (in which case it wont expand, it's not a zip). There are dozens of compressed file types for mac that share the same icon type (zipper) so make sure you're dealing with a .zip and not a .zip.rar or something to that affect.

If none of these work it's possibly a problem with the resource fork in the file.

Post edited by StratDragon on
    edited December 1969

It has the icon for a zip file, looks like other zip files that I downloaded. In any case, I trashed it. I will look for tutorials elsewhere online. If you (or anyone) knows of a good resource, I'd appreciate knowing. I'm just glad I didn't pay for those files!
    Thanks.

edited December 1969

It has the icon for a zip file, looks like other zip files that I downloaded. In any case, I trashed it. I will look for tutorials elsewhere online. If you (or anyone) knows of a good resource, I'd appreciate knowing. I'm just glad I didn't pay for those files!
    Thanks.

What tutorials are you looking for?
    And what problem were you having with the Manager?

edited December 1969

I finally have access to downloaded material (3D University tutorials). After 2 days (I contacted them on Friday) I got a reply from the help center that these (MP4) files could be found in the "product library" in "My Account". Honestly, I've been struggling with this for 6 days! It wouldn't have occurred to me to look there as I usually find my downloads in my Downloads folder and what I found there were those un-openable zip folders.

I get the impression that there is a general assumption that everyone should just "know intuitively" what to do when it's not the case at all, certainly not for someone who is new to this. It would help if those in charge considered the uninitiated.

I do appreciate everyone's efforts to help me through this, so thanks!

:-)

• I unzip files using Commander One. I found this tool literally a couple of months ago, so far I am satisfied with everything(https://ftp-mac.com/best-archiver-mac.html)