redirecting install manager?

ILJacksonILJackson Posts: 20
edited December 1969 in Technical Help (nuts n bolts)

I have a new laptop and over the weekend I have uploaded hundreds of old purchases and installed them, but I have to still upload hundreds more. I am using install manager, which has been a big help...
BUT...
it is taking FOREVER to download everything, and I have a good internet connection. The annoying thing is that I have downloaded ALL of these files when I first purchased them and they are sitting on their own harddrive. Is it possible to redirect install manager to list these already saved files as "ready to install" so that I don't have to download hundreds of files that I have already downloaded for just this purpose. It would take minutes to install them all instead, it is taking days to download files I already have.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

The files that you already have are almost certainly in .EXE format, and the DIM cannot use them, it requires ZIP files with a manifest.

What sort of download speed are you getting, most people find it very quick to download even many huindreds of items. I have around 2,000 myself?

• ILJacksonILJackson Posts: 20
    edited December 1969

I am getting only about 200 kbs and it drops. I've tried doing other things and all my other internet speeds are high both on that laptop and on other devices on my network. I'm minimizing internet activity while doing this to try to get the speed higher, but it just seems that Daz3d is maxing out at about 230 kps even though my connection is usually an extremely good one. I've had to retry a hundred or so where the download failed.

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

My connection only goes as high as 239 KBs, but I managed to download everything without a hitch. If you are getting a lot of failed downloads, then there must be something else going on too. Mine downloads two at a time, and I have only had about three failures since I started using the DIM.

You can download all of the ZIPs without installing, and install them all later on if you wish, but I don't think it will save you much time really. The failures are much more worrying, but I don't know how you would get around that. I downloaded mine in batches, because I used at least four different Library folders, one for Gen4, Gen3, Toons, and Genesis with all of my latest purchases.

I hope someone else can make a suggestion to you to help with the failed downloads.

• ILJacksonILJackson Posts: 20
    edited December 1969

Yeah, I have had a lot of download fails and I've set up batches only to come back and find out that it downloaded a couple and then I got dumped off the Daz server or something and have to sign in again and select the fils all over.

There must be something we are missing. For how many years has Daz ONLY released files in the *.exe format for you to use to install. Then they release an "install manager" that doesn't use the ONLY format they've used for their entire history (that I am aware of). That absolutely can't be right.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,582
    edited December 1969

Remember that there were at least a dozen different kinds of installers. The zip files used by DIM are the first and only time that they've been set up with a manifest which can be used to find out what files were installed and whether they need to be updated.