Memory Usage of Scenes

PatroklosPatroklos Posts: 533
edited December 1969 in Technical Help (nuts n bolts)

Hi,

I have created a female character, added hair and other features, saved as a scene, used 81kb.

Added a sports bra, no adjustments, saved, used 8426 kb.

Scene containing Sports Bra alone 6225 kb.

Created male character, George, hair etc, 45 kb.

Added Preppy clothes & Preppy shoes, 59 kb.

Why does the Sports Bra take up so much memory? Is this right?

It does have implications for computer performance.

Thanks

Comments

• Tramp GraphicsTramp Graphics Posts: 2,408
    edited December 1969

Patroklos said:
    Hi,

I have created a female character, added hair and other features, saved as a scene, used 81kb.

Added a sports bra, no adjustments, saved, used 8426 kb.

Scene containing Sports Bra alone 6225 kb.

Created male character, George, hair etc, 45 kb.

Added Preppy clothes & Preppy shoes, 59 kb.

Why does the Sports Bra take up so much memory? Is this right?

It does have implications for computer performance.

Thanks

My guess would be that the sports bra is a high polygon count item whereas the other items were created with relatively low polygon counts.
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,474
    edited December 1969

Where are you getting these sizes? Scene files usually contain references to external assets, but if you are using DAZ Studio and an AutoFitted figure (or any other item that's changed from its default state) a lot more data is added to the scene file, as there's no external reference, which bumps the size up (or did last time I looked - at least some of the data should be written to external files, but there seemed to be duplication in the scene file itself).

• PatroklosPatroklos Posts: 533
    edited December 1969

To get the sizes I am looking at the saved Scene files DSON user files..

Do these figures not reflect the size of the files?

I believe that I have seen a slowing in Daz's performance when using the larger files.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,474
    edited December 1969

The scene files have pointers to the textures and to the files in the \data folder that define the figures and props - they probably are proportional to resources used, as long as they contain the same type of stuff, but they aren't the whole storry.

edited December 1969

Thanks for that - it seems that in some ways less polygons is better, in other ways more is better :-)

• cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited April 2013

Number of polygons doesn't affect it. There are cases where Studio chooses to store the polygons in the scene file, rather than referencing an external geometry file. E.g., load up Genesis. Saves as a small scene. Use the PGE to re-assign faces in Genesis to different material zones. Your scene file will grow a bunch because Studio now has to track all that information locally for the scene, since you haven't (and in the case of Genesis, shouldn't) saved those changes out as an asset that it can reference externally. A scene file with a generation four figure in it will be a lot larger, because of all the injections that happen when you load a generation four figure that doesn't occur with Genesis.

Scene files are really just compressed text files. You can ask Studio to uncompress the .duf file for you and then open it in a text editor to see what-all it has in it. Larger scene files generally include blocks of geometry in the scene file.

All that said, I really doubt this is the cause of your performance problems... Regardless if the geometry is stored in the scene file or loaded from external asset file, it's still the same amount of geometry that Studio has to tend to while you are working on a scene.

Post edited by cwichura on
    edited December 1969

Thanks for that.

edited December 1969

Hello,

it has been suggested by Sickleyield that I re-install Daz3d.

Are there some instructions on how to do this? I can't find anything under "Help"

Thanks

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,920
    edited December 1969

Check out this thread on how to install DAZ Studio http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/19194/

edited December 1969

Thank You.

I will give it a try later in the week.