"tdlmake.exe"

PatroklosPatroklos Posts: 533
edited December 1969 in Technical Help (nuts n bolts)

Every time I start working in Daz I get multiple instances of "tdlmake.exe" using all mu cpu up.

How can I stop this?

Comments

• PatroklosPatroklos Posts: 533
    edited December 1969

Its been going on for more than 30 minutes now!

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

I don't remember the technical explanation, it has something to do with optimizes/rendering images.

If I recall correctly cancel the process ... it might have been one that required going to the Task Manager to kill.

It's not a bad thing to run, has to run sometimes for a few seconds to do a task, but every now and then "loops".

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

TDLmake converts the jpg textures to a format that 3Delight (the Daz Studio render engine) can use. If it is running for 30 minutes I believe one texture or more is not converting properly. What is your PC spec's?

edited December 1969

Its impossible to kill the program in Task Manager as new versions of the program are starting up & shutting down all the time.

I put my pc to sleep & restarted it this morning, still happening.

My PC is pretty good,

Windows scores Processor 6.7, RAM 7.7, Graphics 6.7, Disc 5.9, running Win 7

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

When Jaderail asked you PC specs I don't think he meant Window Score. :)

Have you tried opening the scene, saving it, close it, reopen and try to render without changing anything in the scene at all?

edited April 2013

Hi, I thought he wanted to know if my machine was outdated and not able to handle the workload.

I now find that the problem seems to be caused by loading one of a number of MATS in SickleYields "Dirty Denim"

I have left him a note in his support thread.

However if anyone here understands the problem or can help me I would love to hear from them.

Thanks

Post edited by Patroklos on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,473
    edited December 1969

Sometimes just emptying the Temp folder (the location is in Edit>Preferences>General Tab) will fix the issue. TDLMAKE will run once for each texture file, so you may have to close a lot of processes (or, as long as you've saved the scene, just close DS).

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited April 2013

Patroklos said:
    Hi, I thought he wanted to know if my machine was outdated and not able to handle the workload.

I now find that the problem seems to be caused by loading one of a number of MATS in SickleYields "Dirty Denim"

However if anyone here understands the problem or can help me I would love to hear from them.

Thanks

Well, it seems to me you have narrowed down the cause of the error. I have had TDLmake LOOP when it tried to convert an corrupted jpg file before. It's possible the one or more textures did not write to your drive properly at install. I suggest a re-install of the product and a test to see if it happens afterwards.

EDIT: Try the ABOVE info first. He knows more than I ever will.
    Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

Sometimes just emptying the Temp folder (the location is in Edit>Preferences>General Tab) will fix the issue. TDLMAKE will run once for each texture file, so you may have to close a lot of processes (or, as long as you've saved the scene, just close DS).

Sorry but I'm not all that good on the techie side, where are we when we look for edit?

Thanks

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Patroklos said:

Thanks

Well, it seems to me you have narrowed down the cause of the error. I have had TDLmake LOOP when it tried to convert an corrupted jpg file before. It's possible the one or more textures did not write to your drive properly at install. I suggest a re-install of the product and a test to see if it happens afterwards.

EDIT: Try the ABOVE info first. He knows more than I ever will.

I think the problem may be with the files, at the plain mats work ok, but the mats of dirty or worn material are a problem, I might follow your suggestion to rule other problems.

Thanks

edited December 1969

Patroklos said:

Sorry but I'm not all that good on the techie side, where are we when we look for edit?

Thanks
    EDIT In Daz Studio like many programs have a top menu bar, with File, Edit, Create etc etc this is where you will find EDIT. :)

edited December 1969

thanks, there doesn't seem to be any files there, a few folders only, and no button that would clear anything invisible.

edited December 1969

Sorry what Richard is saying is if you look under Edit>Preferences>General Tab in Daz Studio it will give you the location of your TEMP folder which is normally hidden. Now that you have the location go an Show Hidden Folders (in Windows Explorer > Tools > Folder Options > View Tab > Check "Show Hidden Files and Folders > Click Ok and then navigate to your TEMP folder and empty it of any files (not folders).

edited December 1969

Hello,

I feel really dumb, but I have no idea about this.

I have Windows Explorer of course, but nothing called Tools or anything like it.

I have Administrative Tools on the control panel, but I think thats not what I'm looking for.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,473
    edited December 1969

Type Folder into the box at the bottom of the Start Menu, then click on Folder Options from the list of items you are offered. Then go to the View Tab and change the setting as Szark says.

edited December 1969

Right, thanks for that - got there.

Unfortunately it did not deal with the original problem of having multiple tdlmake using up my cpu when using the mats as previously described. :-(

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited April 2013

nm - crossed post and info wasn't required.

Post edited by patience55 on
    edited December 1969

For reference with Windows Explorer open got to Organise (top left button) > Layout > and check Menu Bar, you should now have a menu bar with Tools or as Richard says use the Start Menu search box

edited December 1969

Thanks, that is helpful.