Kimberly DSON

MouserMouser Posts: 675
edited December 1969 in Technical Help (nuts n bolts)

I downloaded the three Win exe files for Kimberly Complete, Character & Accessories and installed in the PoserPro1012 content directory as usual.
Normaly the DSON stuff just works and its all transparent but Kimberly does not apear to be installed.
The resulting Readme page only refers to DazStudio (which i dont use or want to use)
Am I missing a step here?

Comments

• MouserMouser Posts: 675
    edited December 1969

Okay the files did get installed in PoserPro2012 Content Directory but not in the Runtime.
    The readme says it has a DSON Core file but it looks to be DazStudio format?
    I'm wondering if maybe DAZ have forggoten something?

• nightwolf1982nightwolf1982 Posts: 1,145
    edited December 1969

I believe "DSON Core" refers to the .duf files that came with the Kimberly character. I think these are what allow the DSON importer to actually import the character into Poser. As far as I can tell, there are no front facing Poser files included with Kimberly (these would be in a file labeled as PoserCF).

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,886
    edited December 1969

The DSON Core files are DS4.5 native files, for the DSON importer to be able to load them into Poser you need the Companion files, and from what I've read on the forums Kimberly doesn't come with any.

edited December 1969

Hmm, Looking at Kimberly Complete's product Page and post install page both quote a DSON installer is included.
    Not sure what to do?

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

As said above DSON is the default DS4.5 .duf format. For a item to be Poser DSON compatible the Poser Companion files need to exit and be installed. The item does not list the Poser files in the content.

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,886
    edited December 1969

As you wont touch DS then your only option is to get your money back.

Kimberly's product page says DS4.5 only and that only the DSON core files are available, that means it wont work in DS4.0 let alone Poser, and for the record DSON is the coding language used in DS4.5's DUF & DSF files.

edited December 1969

I guess thats the only option.
    I think I'm gona have to drop Daz stuff off my shopping list from now on, this DS vs Poser crap is just not worth it.
    Daz just doesnt want my money.
    Thanks

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited April 2013

DS4.5 is free and can create the needed Poser files. But that is up to you. Only purchase files that state DSON and Poser Companion files in the info field's and you will have everything you need.

Daz3D has a 30 Day money back policy. If you find your purchase not to your needs for any reason.

Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

To be fair both P & DS are equaly good and equaly rubbish, they're final results are basicly the same.

I use Poser for sorting out what I'm doing and then Export to either Lightwave or Vue Complete to finish (Its what I'm used to).
    I simply cannot be bothered with learning yet another app, especialy as it is no better than what I already have (that would be nuts).
    So like I said I cannot be bothered with this Poser vs DazStudio crap, thats for the fanboys.

I just want it to work and if its not compatible then fine by me but why dont they simply label it clearly?
    "NOT COMPATABLE WITH POSER" or NOT COMPATABLE WITH DAZ STUDIO"

People have been complaining about this nonsence to Daz for ages, Instead we get vague lists of file types and "its listed there and man your dumb" replies.
    Yes this stuff is there but it is never made clear or obvous otherwise people wouldnt keep slamming into this.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,582
    edited December 1969

Is this not clear?

compatible_software.jpg
    765 x 234 - 36K
    edited December 1969

I'm afraid it wasnt, I see DSON.
    When I first got the DSON importer there was no additional Poser files and have since purchased by keyword DSON.

Iregardless some items I got where listed as DS only but worked in Poser (AdmitadlyI havnt tried them all yet or all their functinality)
    So I was led to believe any DSON files would work, that was the big selling blurb for the DSON Importer that DAZ made after all 'Use ANY DS content with Poser now'.

After investigation that functionality seems to have dropped to those items with additional Poser files (So it is but it isnt).

I'm sorry if I sound unrasonable but ive stuck with DAZ as I thought they had a consitant format.
    But here we are, the 21st Century and its format wars all over again (Poser, DazStudio, Carerram, Bryce, Vue etc etc).

Man I miss when this stuff used to be fun and not work.

Iregardless thanks everyone for your input

• nightwolf1982nightwolf1982 Posts: 1,145
    edited December 1969

Well, I'm not a DSON expert, but I do have Kimberly and I can load her shape onto Genesis in Poser. It'll take some work to get her materials, hair, and clothes loaded, as there are no poser presets for them, but I'm sure it's doable.

KimberlyinPoser.jpg
    1176 x 664 - 140K
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,473
    edited December 1969

DSON is the DAZ Studio format - DSON Importer is the plug-in that will convert and load it into Poser.

edited December 1969

hmm time to troll through the tutorials