...trouble with converting legacy male clothing to female Genesis figures with Autofit.

kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,948
edited December 1969 in Technical Help (nuts n bolts)

...seems I discovered another small issue with the Autofit tool.

Having the Mike4, David3, and Hiro3 body shapes for Genesis, I have been interested in cross dressing female characters in male clothing. For the most part the conversion works fine, but with with one exception. In all my experiments there was a noticeable distortion of the mesh in the crotch area. About the only conclusion I can arrive at is that it is due to the fundamental differences in anatomy, basically, more "room" (thus more polys?) is required to accommodate (or at least give the illusion of) the masculine "naughty bits". Apparently this is an adjustment Autofit is unable to make as it leaves a rather "peculiar" bulge at the midpoint of the crotch region.

Not sure if there is a workaround that doesn't involve either scripting (which I am not good at) or modification in a modelling programme (likewise).

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,474
    edited December 1969

Have you tried applying a smoothing modifier?

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,948
    edited December 1969

...not yet as that tends to slow down viewport performance. I've had to turn it off on other outfits just so I could pose figures. I'll give it a try though.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,474
    edited December 1969

Yes, if it's a fix it may well be a fix you don't apply until as late as possible in the process (or rather, apply to make sure it works and then switch it off).

edited December 1969

...well that didn't work. Now at a total loss.

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,598
    edited May 2013

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...well that didn't work. Now at a total loss.

Can you provide the settings that you used with the smoothing modifier? And perhaps a picture...

Post edited by Pendraia on
    edited December 1969

...I upped the smoothing modifier rate to 150% and nothing changed.

I'll post a pic tomorrow as I have to copy it off the workstation which is shut down for the night.

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,598
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...I upped the smoothing modifier rate to 150% and nothing changed.

I'll post a pic tomorrow as I have to copy it off the workstation which is shut down for the night.

A couple of suggestions for you to try...

1. Change the smoothing modifier to generic.

2. Try changing the weight from .5 to .7

3. Then starting from about 2 slowly increase the smoothing iterations.

You shouldn't need to go to 150 to get good results. The settings I've suggested are what I normally use and find that they are successful for the majority of items.

My other suggestion(I'm sure you've probably tried this already) is to check whether the garment has any crotch morphs. Some male items allow you to adjust the size of that area.