Designing Clothing around Custom Characters - problems fitting in DAZ

I'm learning to model clothing in hexagon at the moment and I've run into a problem with getting it into DAZ. I'm modelling the clothes based on my individual characters, who are saved as character presets in DAZ. They are all a combination of a custom face morph (imported via FaceGen) and then various settings on the Genesis body morphs to make them look different in body shape, height, etc.

I'm planning to have one basic costume for each character, so I thought it made sense to model around their bodies rather than creating clothing on the androgynous Genesis form - particularly for more realistic fabric drape over the breasts. But when I bring the clothes over into DAZ and use the Transfer Utility, it immediately ignores all the geometry I've carefully put in, and plasters the fabric against the body in the exact way I was trying to avoid. (I also had a lot of problems getting it to fit originally, but managed to sort that out with help from the forum threads).

I've found some tutorials and instructions on dealing with this for custom morphs like Victoria - but I don't think my character presets count as custom morphs, do they? So I'm not sure what to do next or how to fix this. Help would be very much appreciated! I don't really want to have to model on Genesis all the time, and I really want the clothes to look the way I imagine them.

dress-test2.png
1420 x 694 - 151K
dress-test1.png
1420 x 694 - 149K

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

When you are using the Transfer Utility, you have to check the box that says 'Reverse Source Shape from Target', that is for when you are not using the basic Genesis shape to start with.

• edited December 1969

I did that (reverse source), but it still gives the result shown in the second screenshot.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,474
    edited December 1969

The issue is that DS is reversing the shapes out of the clothing, to get a slightly approximate fit for the base Genesis, and then it's generating new morphs to match those used in your character., again somewhat approximately. The ideal solution would be for you to create new custom morphs for the clothing to match each morph in the character, but failing that you might try loading your original shape as a stand-alone morph, then getting the actual name and path of each morph you use (click the gear icon on the slider on Genesis, Parameter Settings, copy the entries in the Name and Path boxes) then delete the auto-morphs in the clothing (Edit>Figure>Clear Generated Morphs) and finally going to the Property Editor pane, with the dress selected, and for each morph used in Genesis right-click in the Grouping/Settings area, select Create Property from the menu, and in the dialogue set the Path to match the path to the morph and the Name to match the name, set Hidden to on and check Create as empty morph. That will block the creation of auto morphs and allow you to turn up your original shape.

• edited December 1969

Hi Richard - that seems like a very convoluted way of doing this. Am I missing out on an obvious workflow here? I can tell that what I'm 'supposed' to do is model for Genesis and let the clothes fit using the morphs, but I can't believe there's really no straightforward (or relatively straightforward!) way to stop clothes clinging up under the breasts in an unrealistic way. Should I be coming at this problem from a different angle instead of starting with a mesh I've modelled on my character?

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

Well the 'other method' is to make some morphs for Genesis. There is one for doing something about the problem you're having ... 'somewhere' over at sharecg.com [look for a couple of ladies in ST uniforms], there is this one which although for the male figures gives the idea as to what I'm talking about: http://www.sharecg.com/v/53770/

http://www.sharecg.com/v/67839/browse/21/DAZ-Studio/Alternative-for-Genesis this is a loose dress

The method Richard suggested is probably the way most would go ... but as I have a problem understanding all that too I tend to find some of the alternative methods which for non-professional use does the job.

If I'm not mistaken I have information in the last tutorial I posted which includes making the clothing to fit the basic Genesis, and then what I call a "little morph" to add specific morphs to one's own garments.