How to apply a material preset?

retiretomauiretiretomaui Posts: 387
edited December 2017 in New Users

So, I'm making a character have a golden metallic sheen (think Ayesha from the recent Guardians of the Galaxy movie) and I've finally gotten her to where I want her. I have saved her characteristics as a material preset, but how do I apply that preset to another character? I'm talkign about applying her colors, metallicity, etc, not simply injecting the changed character into another, or inserting another copy of that character. I want to apply that new sheen and metallicity to multiple different Gen 3 characters.

Thanks!

Bob

Post edited by retiretomaui on

Comments

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 7,018

If you saved it as a material preset, all you need to do is to load the new character, select it in the scene tab, and then apply the material to it. Some materials need to have the character also selected in the surface tab.

However, it is important that your "donor" is of the same family, in your case G3F. If you saved the material of G1, and aplied it to G3F, you'd end up with distortions and black spaces.

• Thanks. I have been selecting it in the scene tab and trying to load the preset. What does one click on? Left click? I can't find a way to get a menu to come up to actually locate, select and load the preset.

Thanks!

Well, you'd use the content directory, select the subfolder that contains the material, and the double click it.

Where did you save your material preset?

• It's literally on my desktop.

Studio won't find it there. Move it into the Daz content folder, there should be a subfolder with your personal directory. If you drop it in there, you can then find it through the Content Directory.

there's a thread somewhere how to save materials here in the forum, but i don't have the link on hand right now.

• smb675smb675 Posts: 12

what is the process for loading a preset for materials asset? I have a dummy window pane that I am trying to add the preset shape I like to it...

• rosselianirosseliani Posts: 374
    edited May 2022

@snb675 IMO nobody understands what you mean. Material presets are not shaping presets. What do you call a "material asset"? Is your dummy window pane an user's interface pane or a prop?

Please try to explain your problem in a more precise meaning, I know it is not easy for new users. Just try!

Sorry for my "french speaking" english...

Post edited by rosseliani on